Laundry

April72
Level 2
Columbia, MD

Laundry

Hi all:  I'm a cohost and lately we have run into makeup stains on all of our linens and even some surfaces.  Has anyone else seen this and what approaches have you found that work well?  All suggestions are greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@April72 I see a lot of hosts placing either a package of disposable makeup wipes or a basket of dark/black facecloths in the bathroom specifically for makeup removal. I just offer the disposable wipes.

As for getting it off of linens, it is tough. I use Spray and Wash and a fiber safe bleach.

@April72

I actually put a box of tissues in the bathroom and next to the bed, with a note on saying

" please use tissues, not towels for make up,.. thanks " and added a yellow smiley face next to it

It has helped

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I second Alexandra's tip of dark washcloths. I leave a stack of them on the sink and it's helped a lot (that and grey towels, rather than white)

I also get some makeup on my white sheets, but I've had very little issue getting them out: I just wet the fabric, dab a little detergent on it, and using both hands, rub the fabric against itself. If that doesn't work, I soak it in a bleach/water solution before washing it. Knock on wood, I haven't needed to replace more than one pillowcase in almost 4 years.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@April72 

I actually find it harder to get stains out of dark towels/linens as you can easily end up bleaching the colour out of them and then they are patchy.

I use a spray on stain remover (Shout, Vanish etc.) on the specific stains before putting them in the machine and then also add a scoop of Oxy powder to the detergent tray. This works 99% of the time on make up. It's more greasy food stains that can be hard to shift and then there are sometimes weird unidentifiable stains that I don't even want to think about...

Carl22
Level 2
Boston, MA

Shout Advanced Action Gel is the best spray and wash I've tried so far.  If that doesn't work, soaking the fabric in a solution of vinegar, baking soda, and salt has taken the stain right out.  I have found that bleach is not effective. You're right though - makeup is the hardest too remove.  I provide white towels and white linens though, because they are easier to clean and it's easier to tell when they're dirty or stained.

I also provide makeup-removing wipes, but evidently many guests won't use them.  I think your best bet is to just find a cleaning solution that works.

Those are all great suggestions. We use all white linens and we have had some guests who seem to be removing something indelible with all the linens - and even some surfaces somehow...

Thanks!

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

Good old fashioned no frills 'Dishwashing Detergent' applied directly to the stain, rubbed onto itself and then apply a little HOT water so that it soaps up, and rub again. This has worked for me every time!! You need to make sure that the dishwashing liquid is 'not' an Eco product, as it won't be strong enough to remove the stain. 

Then, put through regular washing machine cycle using HOT water, a few squirts of Dishwashing liquid with your regular laundry detergent.... and most importantly, no Fabric Softener. Use White vinegar instead. The fabric Softener leaves a film on linen and towels that attracts and absorbs oil based products. 

I use a combination of white, pastel and dark coloured towels and sheets.... I like mixing it up.... and have had success with removing makeup/mascara/foundation/body lotion stains etc, every time using this tecnique! 

Good Luck 🙂