Lawrence, KS City STR Discussion --Attention Lawrence Hosts!

Kim371
Level 2
Lawrence, KS

Lawrence, KS City STR Discussion --Attention Lawrence Hosts!

For those who do not know, the City of Lawrence, KS is discussing how they will handle Short Term Rentals (STRs) such as AirBNB.  Hosts in the city need to act and get their voice heard on the subject.  Please reach out to the City Commissioners and let them know your thoughts on the subject. 

Points you might include are:

- AirBNB units must be kept in tip-top condition for ratings.  For this reason, properties may be kept in better condition than those on long-term rental leases.

- There are many reasons why you will not see every landlord turning to short-term rentals as an option. Nor will you see any landlord have a high percentage of them.  The first reason is, they are a lot of work.  There is a high amount of laundering of sheets & towels and upkeep between each guest.  Secondly, is the constant communication with the incoming and outgoing guests.  Having more than one or two short-term rental units would mean having a staff to take care of them.

- AirBNB is world-wide.  Heck, it may even help hotel/motel owners to keep their charges at a reasonable rate.  That is commerce.  Competition is good and keeps prices lower on our goods and services.

- Having an STR gives the landlord a bit of a financial cushion and may eleviate the need to raise rents in response to increasing insurance and property tax rates.

- For 130+ STR units to be supported in Lawrence, it is apparent that a LOT of guests are utilizing STRs in our city...while spending money at our restaurants, gas stations, purchasing tickets for local events, paying for their children to attend KU and so on. 

I implore you to reach out to your city commissioners by mail or email.  https://lawrenceks.org/commissioners/

If they don't hear from us they will make a decision and it may not be in our favor.

Warmly, Kim

6 Replies 6
Melissa314
Level 1
Lawrence, KS

Just wondering how folks are handling it now that the ordinance is in place.  I rent a couple of units from a friend, who lives on the property.  She knows I run Airbnbs, but the new ordinance will require her to jump through a lot of hoops for a permit.  The reason she rents these units to me is because it's much easier and kept in much better condition than a long term tennant.  Not sure what I'll do.  Anyone else in a similar situation?

https://lawrenceks.org/pds/rental-licensing/

Kim371
Level 2
Lawrence, KS

I will pay the licensing fee, agree to the inspections and move forward. This may turn out to be a positive as there are now many, many Airbnb’s in town.  This is driving the occupancy and rates down. This new ordinance will clear out the weeds of folks who are not taking good care of their properties or who don’t want to go through the work to license. I don’t think it will adversely affect much.  

Renee323
Level 2
Lawrence, KS

This conversation seems to be older, but as a new co-host, running a home for someone else, I'm very interested in the fact that there are still a ton of STRs in town. 

We went through the licensing in advance and cleared all of the hurdles prior to listing.

I have been told the ordinance wasn't yet adopted, and find conflicting information on the City website. Perhaps it wasn't required, after all?

Just found out that perhaps the implementation was causing hiccups and that they are still trying to phase it in- still wondering what everyone is doing and how it's expected to move forward. I don't think we were required to fulfill all of the facets of the ordinance. 

Kim371
Level 2
Lawrence, KS

The city has tabled the conversation pending additional research.  Results could potentially effect even those previously approved.  Many special use applications are still pending.  Of course.  Units that are owner occupied are good to go once they have the rental license.  Frankly hoping that the conversation is allowed to die and remain business as usual.

@Kim371 I received a letter from the city of Lawrence to stop operating my airbnb home.  I plan on contacting city commissions.  I had a pending special use permit, but that is no longer an option.  An ordinance was adopted in October, but I didn't know it was back on the agenda at that time.