Feedback on a Negative but honest review?

Answered!
Dino50
Level 2
York, United Kingdom

Feedback on a Negative but honest review?

Hi,

been hosting all summer and just made Superhost status. Had great guests and reviews but hit a stinker with my last guest. They were to be a honest a total PITA . Noisy until around 2am , left the bathroom filthy and even when I let them leave bags after check out to pick up later they arrived back not so much as a thank you and of they went. Rude all around. Never had this with a guest before. I even let them check in 2 hours early but no thanks nothing.

Only issue they found is they said the bed sheet seem dirty. Not so as I pointed out it was actually a light gold pattern on the sheet. They agreed in the end and didnt want it changing which I would have done no problem. Over all a difficult frustrating experience for me and they were constantly sending me messages asking for more towels, milk, and it felt akward and I am normally very easy going.

And something tells me they are going to leave me a  bad review (it will be my first ) but I want to write an honest review of what I thought of them as guests , but wondering if it would/ could back fire on me ? or should I just leave it ? Im gonig to wait until day 13 anyway as can imagine they wont be happy if I do review them with thumbs down, which I honestly feel is justifed.

Any feedback from more expereinced hosts here would be really welcome as im still learning the ropes 😉

cheers Dino

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dino, thank you for wanting to leave this guest a review! Many hosts will skirt around the bad guests and never end up leaving a review. I personally think all reviews should be short, factual, professional, and with as little emotion as possible. Longwinded reviews often stray from the point and sometimes make the host look a little crazy. 

Something along the lines of .. "I did not have a good experience hosting XX. Quiet hours were not respected. The space, in particularly the bathroom, was left disorderly and required extra cleaning. Many additional amenities were take advantage of and there was a general lack of appreciation. I cannot recommend this guest and find them better suited for a hotel.”

Low stars in the relevant categories and a thumbs down.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18

Hi Dino! I may just have had a similar experience & don't know what to do at this time.

Like you, we've always had amazing guests until the ones last week. Well it is Mardi Gras so a little noise is to be expected. But these people were extremely rowdy --- they were wrestling until the wee hours of the morning, screaming, shouting, laughing loud, etc. The space was a mess when they left, trash everywhere. There was even an instance when a leak seeped through our ceiling downstairs {space is in our loft with a separate entrance} because they left water running & there was a puddle near the tub. There is also a balcony & there were chicken bones on the balcony & yard. I still have 4 days to leave a review & I really am unsure as to what to state. Also, the listing that we have is fairly new {December 2018} ; we had previous listings for other spaces. What should I do? State? I wouldn't want them to leave a bad review as everything are all glowy reviews so far. Oh & one last thing, I have a suspicion that the person who booked them is not with them during the stay {like perhaps a friend let them borrow it? I'm not sure if there's a way to prove this & I may be wrong but I asked the guests --- there were 6 of them --- where he was at different times & he is never present}.

I thought we were required to provide breakfast? 

BNB is bed and breakfast ? 

I know this thread is a bit old but I like to see other hosts experiences.  I left a guest an honest review -mentioned he is a nice person but left the apartment messy.  It wasn't his first time using airbnb either.  He left a very nice review for my airbnb but he had it removed because I left an honest review of his mess.  He commented under the review and suggested I stop renting based on the mess he left and my $20 cleaning fee is to cover the 4 hours it took to clean after him.  The rules are the rules, if they don't follow your rules then expect it to go in the review.

Hilary13
Level 2
San Diego, CA

I have been a Superhost for 5 years now, but I used to agonize over leaving negative reviews. In the beginning, I was leaving too many 5-star reviews because I hadn’t gained confidence as a host yet. Now I’m just as honest as possible, without thinking about their review of me.

Also, I only let 5-star guests instant book with me now —(everyone else has to make a request and wait for my approval), so I usually have pretty great guests. Guests who are  trying to maintain their 5-star rating are usually good. I have had a few problems over the years with people new to Airbnb, and sometimes even with guests that have a couple/few good reviews.  If guests are rude, ask for discounts or extra service, and make hosting more difficult, they don’t deserve a 5-star review . The guest won’t  like the review, but they will definitely improve their behavior next time. They know the hosts they’re trying to book with may have seen their negative review—so they work overtime to be polite (& they want to get their ratings back up). 

I would avoid saying “high maintenance”, and avoid getting into too much detail—the lower stars say a lot (and they can’t see the stars unless they’re looking hard to find them).  In the public review, I try to start off with something positive, then I state briefly what made hiring them difficult. It’s best to be honest—it will benefit everyone in the long run. Most importantly, it will help them be better guests in the future.