Leaving a bad review

Joshua10
Level 1
Burlington, WA

Leaving a bad review

Would appreciate some input on a recent hosting experience. We had a guest and 5 friends who left the house pretty messy. We have been hosting for almost a year and this is the first time this has happened. I mentioned this in his review and now he is upset. We do charge $100 for cleaning since we pride ourselves on having a clean house and with 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms and kitchen and yard it does take time to get everything into prime condition. He feels if we are going to complain about the mess we shouldnt charge the cleaning fee and wants his $100 back. My review is below. I did not mention we had to remove tape from party streamers off the wall, vomit around the toilet, many plastic solo cups strewn around the yard and dirty plates left around the house. I dont want to rent to him again and I was thinking i would want to let others know. So....now is there anything i can do to help calm him down or is it just the way AirBnB works?

Thanks for any help!!

My Review "XXXXXX was a great communicator and did a good job keeping in touch. Unfortunately not as good at cleaning up and there seemed to be evidence of some partying. Since we have an old house in a neighborhood we dont accept that. However he did not cause any damage to the house."

His Response (which i dont quite agree with): "The streamers we not used at the house. We actually went to a work party but they didn't provide enough trash cans to throw anything away so we brought it back home to throw in the cans. We actually didn't throw any parties at the house and there was no more than the 6 guests that I put on the reservation. I actually took all the sheets off like you asked and placed all the trash in the trash cans in the back. I also paid a cleaning fee, what is the purpose of paying a cleaning fee when you leave a review that someone was messy. The neighbor next door did though a party and had kids running around everywhere. I think it a little crazy to accuse me of something and write it in a review without even discussing it with me first."

6 Replies 6

All in all, you've already written a review and he's already responded.  It's unlikely, that even if you had discussed it with him first that he would have admitted to having a party.  If he said they didn't, would the debris and streamer tape have seemed more plausible?  And I'm suspect that a "work party" results in people bringing garbage back to your home.  I wouldn't do anything more.  

You should search for all the threads here in the community forum where writing a bad review has been discussed.  Use that search box above and read through some of the thoughtful things people have said about reviews.  

Thank you! Is it worth considering trying to change my review (or is that even possible)

I dont feel strongly enough about giving him a bad review to cause a hassle.....

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Joshua10, I am very grateful for you.   So often hosts have a guest that they want to leave an honest review of, and for whatever reason, they don't.  I'm very lucky that in seven years I've had very few bad guests and so have not had to leave too many negative reviews.

I would do absolutely nothing.   You've reviewed the guest, he has replied, and that's that.   So he's a bit pissy.  Let him be.  I do not think that you owe the guest any further dialogue, and you certainly don't need to teach him what the cleaning fee is for!

Amy-and--Gerald0
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

We are writing our first negative review.  We cater only to families of BMT  young men and women. We are retired military and understand these families do not have a whole lot of money so we do not charge a cleaning fee. Our accommodations are very nice and in 2 years every single family have taken excellent care of our home until this past weekend. When we arrived we found the following: lights and fans on, sticky cheerios under coffee table, water bottles and wrapper in bedrooms, clutter on back porch table, dishwasher full by not started,some strange kind of scuff marks in the ice box and pantry door, bench cover with sticky food, bar stool has spots from stick and food, didn't empty trash cans, cut hair on bathroom floor,found sheet stuffed behind a chair, left toilet seat up with dried poop on it...it sure felt good to get that off my chest. In their defense, they did put the garbage container by the street and brought down most sheets and towels. My public review will basically mention the two things they did "good." In the private review I'll mention those two items the did Google but because if the mess they left we can not refer them to other hosts. 

@Amy0& Gerald I host BMT families for Lackland graduates also and have not had a bad rental from them yet. I'm sorry this happened, but you should write an honest review to warn other hosts. As you know the airman will be stationed in various places that the family may want to go to visit. Don't let another host deal with what you did.  Even if you just say "Guests better suited to a hotel." It warns other hosts. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Guest, nor hosts, have no expectation of privacy.

Your guest agreed to Airbnb's review policy when he signed up.

You told your truth.

You did nothing wrong. Cleaning fee does not negate common curtesy or following the rules.