Leaving as a host

Clare167
Level 10
United Kingdom

Leaving as a host

Just to say goodbye, friends. For some months now, I have been extending my snooze, and ignoring the messages urging me to agree to the enhanced cleaning, waiting to see how things will go. Now they tell me that my calendar is blocked for not agreeing. It feels like a good moment to leave. Of course, I shall still be a guest from time to time. I know that many hosts are great, and one of the things I have picked up from participating in this forum is some ideas on how to tell which they are. Thank you, and so long!

16 Replies 16
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Clare167 yep, we just got blocked too. Gives us a great opportunity to cut the cord. Good luck!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

😞   😞  😞   They are losing some of their best hosts over this. What a shame that they don't care.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Clare167 A real shame that Airbnb are driving hosts away with some of their policies. As Covid has now been determined to be predominantly an airborne virus it is a real shame that Airbnb can't just let guests make their own decision wether to stay with hosts who do or do not sign up to their cleaning protocol.Have you given up hosting altogether or have you moved to a different platform?

oh Lord, @Mike-And-Jane0 , I wrote you a chatty reply, didn't save a copy, and now An Unexpected Error has Occurred. Short answer is that I don't know yet.

what is in the protocol that isn't already being done? I feel like something is over my head,  Sad to see hosts leaving! 😞

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

@Clare167 Yep, 8 year superhost and calendar is now blocked. Their policy totally inappropriate here in Australia. Beyond disgusted with this corporate bullying.

I am so sorry, @Belinda55 , it's beyond ridiculous. Presumably competitor platforms in Australia and New Zealand are going to clean up (accidental pun, but I rather like it). Good luck to you.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I'm very sorry indeed to hear this @Clare167 .

Thanks, @Mary996 , I am rather enjoying all this chatting, actually, I shall miss it more than hosting!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Well perhaps you could stay for this @Clare167 . You're so interesting and constructive.

Why, thank you, @Mary996 

Alexandra199
Level 10
Gretton, United Kingdom

I'm so sorry you are leaving as a host. I am also confused what the issue is with the cleaning protocol? Could you please explain so i can understand how this may be an issue for some hosts.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I think the issue is that many hosts (most?) take issue with the cleaning protocol on the grounds that it's not science-based and is really just time-wasting, elaborate 'hygiene theatre'.  For this reason, some hosts have taken a stand and refuse to tick that box that signifies their acquiescence to what they view as an elaborate PR exercise.

As I stated, 'I think'.  Who knows for sure?

Apologies, @Alexandra199 , I have only just seen this. I think that the issue is well explained in the thread on calendar blocking started by @Lisa723 . The documents are ambiguously worded and linked to "recommendations" that are ludicrous and unachievable. @Sarah977 gave an example that had also struck me, the pointlessness of putting gloves over one's clean hands to make the bed with clean sheets. I will not do such things and am not willing to publish a representation that I will. What also disturbs me is the possible link with the tendency, well documented on this forum, for Airbnb to refund guests on the flimsiest grounds. I can just imagine a guest claiming that I had not complied with every jot and tittle. Every stay is a lot of work for me, and I am not prepared to risk doing it for nothing. Every host will have their own priorities, their own tolerance of risk, and so on. I am not criticising anyone who is content with this, but I am not. @Louise0 @Belinda55 @Andrew0