Left alone by Airbnb and even worse getting email saying you must do better

Peter-Sylvester0
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Left alone by Airbnb and even worse getting email saying you must do better

My last guest wrote a hateful review with lots of untrue matters that can be proven lies. But AIrbnb does not help in that matter but keeps me telling: Do better or you will be suspended. 

That makes me angry because lies are lies even when they are told by paying guests. 

15 Replies 15
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Peter-Sylvester0 ,

I did not see a "hatefull" review in your profile. Only the most recent one had some minor complaints, which were addressed well by your comment. So if your posting refers to this one, i would not bother about it. But offcourse i can not see the "stars", so maybe they were disappointing ?

Best regards, Emiel

Thanks for your kind words but I really work hard and those guests were so dispectful. And people believe the agressor more than the defender. People read now that my flat is not central, eventhough its very central....

And what really bothers me how I got treated by AIRBNB. Try better they keep writing me

if only you didn't give them 5 stars and recommeded this high maintenance guest, it must hurt 😞

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

I got a 1 star review from a Russian guy who was pissed because i didn;t extend his stay. he booked me for 2 days. someone else was booked the day he checked out so I had to clean the room. yet he was late in checking out, he wanted to stay an hour longer to have internet and I did not permit it but I redirected him to 7 Starbucks places where there was free wi-fi. ah hour after the checkout time I get to get a bit more firm with him saying that the cleaning lady was on her way and he needed to leave now. 

Mind you if his stay was so horrible why did he want to extend? It's all there in the conversation. I called Airbnb trying to get the review deleted but they told me they can't do that and offered no support whatsoever, so now I am really struggling to get back where I was.

Unrelated to this, I got an email from ABB this morning asking if I had any questions for brian chesky. I'm going to ask hime this: what do you do to prevent hosts from getting revenge reviews from guests who are ticked off they cant stay longer/rent outside Airbnb or other issues that are not related to the hosts performance whatsoever?

What do you think?

I think the problem is bigger, basically by connecting reviews to income opportunities (plus, family, business ready, below 4.7 delisted etc) the review system has gone from being a helpful guide to one in which the host is bullied by any disagreeable guest and by Airbnb itself. If you try to request damages, enforce house rules, or ask guests to leave you are going to get a crappy review and then be punished by Airbnb.

Is this really the business that Airbnb wants to be in ? It's actually worse than uber. Almost no hotel on tripadvisor meets the 4.8 avg requirement that Airbnb has set...

The money comes from guests and just a small portion from hosts

therefore easy as it is: 

money rules airbnb 

not what they intended when they were founded.

stupid me not to accept that and shut up

Peter-Sylvester 

True, but the host&listing is the product and with no product to sell there is no business

Left alone like me 

what I really think I cant write because it would be deleted for sure......

John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Peter0  @Adriana0  @Pete0  @Emiel0

These are the type of problems I'm interested in concerning AirBnB's policies and customer service.

I started a post on the forum to gather just this type of information.

Here's the link:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-Do-You-Rate-AirBnB-for-Customer-Service/m-p/712486#M...

Please contribute to we can all advance by getting issues on the table so as patterns appear and develop both clients and AirBnB can move foward in a positive direction.

Given how terrible it's customer support is (based on my recent interactions with Airbnb support) I think it's high time that we hosts collectively warned Airbnb that it must do better!

Peter-Sylvester,

The following question has been asked to Airbnb "leadership" for next week 

1100 hosts have upticked it for support..please do so too if you have not already

"We had one guest give us a low review and ruined our super host status. Airbnb agreed the review was false but the system is automated. How will you address this issue in the future to prevent false reviews from damaging a hosts status? "

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Q-A/idb-p/2018-q2-qanda-en

Lucy-and-Loic0
Level 7
Lyon, France

The fact that your guest rated you badly because they felt like you needed to supply them with extras like detergent, dishwasher pods, etc. indicates that their expectations were not realistic, and that must be frustrating.  I think your response was a good one. Your having supplied them with enough detergent for the machine located in your unit to get them started in the first place was more than required by any host, and you did this out of kindness.   The message you received about having to do better from Airbnb was not a purposeful way to kick you while you're down but an automated response to their poor and misguided rating, most likely. Not like that makes you feel any better.  Sorry you went through this.    

Nick28
Level 2
New York, NY

We just had a similar experience with a guest who made unsubstantiated claims and lied outright about the condition of our beautiful home. She asked for 2/3 of her rental back. At her and our request, Airbnb's Resolution Center became involved.  They found no justification for the renter's claims and denied her any compensation.  Meanwhile, I was told that the renter's unjustified, negative review had dropped our hard-earned rating of 4.8 (with 12 excellent reviews)--top 10% worldwide--to 3.7 (bottom 10% worldwide)! But although both the renter and I finally agreed to the Resolution Center's offer to have both our reviews pulled from the website, and my rating restored, if we agreed to close the case, Airbnb called back next day to say they made a mistake, and could neither remove the reviews nor restore my rating, because "they can't change the computer's calculations"--as though computers are running Airbnb (maybe they are). I lodged a strong complaint with Airbnb for this terrible policy, which unfairly damages the reputations and affects the livelihood of its host customers. I am still waiting for a reply.

@Nick0 call again, maybe late at night. Reviews can and have been dropped in cases like this! Good luck!