Left in the air

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Left in the air

I have an interesting situation and I am not sure how to handle it!

My current guests are booked here for three + weeks. They are here in Australia from England and booked at the request of a daughter, her husband and grandson they had not seen for a decade! Three days into their stay they had a falling out with their daughter who has not had any contact with them since!

They are lovely people and I feel terrible for them. Their return flight means they are committed to stay for almost another two weeks, and, as nice as they are, I am sure they feel uncomfortable about the situation.

I want to take them under my wing and show them some of the hospitality and country they thought their family would show them.

Is this doing the wrong thing? Should I not get involved and just leave them to it?

Cheers.....Rob

40 Replies 40

that's the spirit 🙂  ❤️ 

@Robin That is a snazzy looking rig you got there! I agree: To me, this is the true Spirit of Airbnb: Strangers entering a host's home, and, if open to the possibility of guest/host contact and community connection, being treated like family.

It seems to me that ABB has a marketing dilemma with the introduction of 'Plus'. As you say, 'Plus' presents on their website as being rather sterile and 'air-brushed' (this is no reflection of the hosts that own and operate the 'Plus' rentals; only guests of a 'Plus' home can comment on the actual experience - I refer only to Airbnb's presentation of 'Plus' rentals on their website), while the original ABB concept was strangers taking a chance on each other and both guest and host experiencing a sense of connection and belonging during the guest's stay ("Live like a local", and all that).

It seems to me, even (and especially) from the latest ABB homepage rolled out 2/22/18, that ABB is trying to be all things to all people - A worthy concept, but not a practical one. In my opinion, what ideally would have happened 2/22/18 is that Super Hosts who achieve a 'Beyond' Super Host status (95% 5 star reviews or above for at least a year - But using a WEIGHTED AVERAGE to calculate this percentage, versus the impossible-to-achieve-and-sustain bell curve) should have been elevated into the 'Plus' category - and the 'Plus' category should have focused on not only the accommodations, but on the hosting style.

But this did not happen, and my hunch as to why is that ABB would like to compete within the hotel / boutique hotel / vacation rental market and this means we hosts and even us super hosts are no longer seen as a 'value added'. We are nice to have around, in that we are a steady, reliable work-horse that can plow the fields of ABB while enhancing it's reputation and offering a steady revenue stream, but we are not seen as 'the future of ABB'. Because, apparently the future of ABB is Experiences, Concerts, and sterile, host-free environments that mimic boutique hotels and are bereft of community, connection, and caring contact. All the attributes and qualities that someone like you, Robin, exemplifies, as illustrated by the way you reached out to, and cared about, your current guests, appear not to be valued anymore by ABB. Or so it seems to me, at least in practice, if not in theory.

Given I was a VP of Marketing in Silicon Valley that consulted for a lot of fast-growing start-ups moving toward an IPO during the 'boom days', I feel I have a good sense of what might be happening in ABB's higher level meetings, and I have to say, I am more than a bit baffled by the direction they are taking. The obvious thing to do would have been to promote Super Hosts into higher levels of guest services and experiences (those that were willing); some might be more like boutique hotels with no host present, but others would be built around the possibility of a 'Social Stay', where community and caring between host and guest is not only celebrated and encouraged, but actively supported and encouraged by ABB (e.g., "Experience the further-most reaches of Australia with Super Host Robin!"). Instead, they are making 'categories' and filters for things like 'Social Stays'; this is a nod, of sorts, to their core values but falls short of utilizing Super Hosts in effective ways that might have further promoted ABB's desire to be seen as a trustworthy place to book a vacation, with reliable and also UNIQUE (not sterile) community-based, community-oriented 'products' - the sort of 'product' a Super Host produces and maintains (i.e., a 5-Star Overall Experience rental).

It is frustrating to watch ABB move down this path, because they had something so very special, so very unique to offer hosts and travelers alike - Something that is not so easy to find: Community. And that seems to be fast disappearing the 'Further' and more 'Beyond' ABB goes down this 'Infinite' path they are on. Maybe it's time for 'Major Tom' (David Bowie reference) to come back down to earth. Before it's too late.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca181

Yeah, I am not sure about what you are promoting Rebecca and I can see why my actions have taken you there!

That was one of my concerns before doing this! I don't want to be seen as a 'chaperone' to some adventure or other. Once you start doing something you build a perception in guests that follow minds that the same might be offered to them.....like providing a meal. I have had some wonderful nights over a bite to eat with guests but it is generally those who are here for a while. I would not want 'one nighters' to feel let down because someone else got a meal which showed up in a review, and they didn't.

Every hosting is different, and with each we head down different paths with what we offer Rebecca, but I think 'Major Tom' needs a bit more time in the air to think this one out a bit more....I don't want to keep on setting standards that might come back to bite me in the bum.

It did just seem the right thing to do this time around.

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 Rest assured, I am promoting nothing. I was giving a loose example of the types of hosting that Super Hosts might individually choose to do, using your latest hosting adventure as my loose example! Which may have caused you some confusion and detracted from my main point, which is that there are so many Hosts and Super Hosts offering so many wonderful types of housing environments and amenities to guests; it befuddles me why these possibilities were leap-frogged over by Airbnb in favor of launching an entirely new program ('Plus') - which may or may not prove to be successful. 

It was my way of agreeing with your statements, above, regarding 'Plus'. 

Great story about your rig! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca181 There is a funny side to "That is a snazzy looking rig"!

A couple of years ago we were in a caravan park on Sydneys northern beaches and one night this father walked by with his son who looked to be about 5 years old. As he got close to the trailer he stopped and looked at it for a while and then turned to his father and said...

"Daddy, what is that car doing without it's head"?

Cheers.....Rob

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Robin4, I'm so glad you did it, and that you are safely back home again. Certainly above and beyond any normal hosting duties! I sometimes pick up guests from the bus.:) . Or go for a bushwalk. Have never taken them on a holiday! Well done, hope you are duly appreciated.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra126 @Rebecca181 @Branka-and-Silvia0

Well Sandra that raises as good point!

This is why we should always operate strictly within the rules! These two guests were booked by their daughter who they hadn't seen in 9 years, and although nominated by the daughter as the participating guests, the booking was using the daughters Airbnb account.

Now as wonderful as they may think this stay has been, they will not be the ones offered the opportunity to review the stay....that will be up to the daughter who is not speaking to them.

It is more than likely Sandra, I have had a three week stay here that will not be reviewed, despite the effort and comfortableness that has come about throughout the duration of this stay!

The daughter has not had the opportunity to feel what it was like to climb into that bed at night with those sheets, have the meals that we have shared, the late afternoons spent in the garden with a wine or two and nibbles, and of course, the trip! All the daughters thoughts will be centre around how she went to the trouble of lining this up for them and how they are now not speaking to each other. Highly unlikely she is going to want to say anything glowing...or anything at all.

Still, who knows, like I said in another post.....'Pigs might fly'!!

Cheers......Rob

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Yes, @Robin4, that is what will likely happen. But you know, and they know. It is good karma.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sandra126 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Rebecca181 @Ellen33 @Gina32

Guess what Sandra, Pigs did fly, I got a really good review, another 5 star jobbie!

Why on earth are we so paranoid about reviews?? Isn't the object of hosting to help someone and try to improve their life just a little bit without Big Brother trying to cane us. A two star review and you will be threatened with de-listing!

This platform is so screwed up, experiences, positives don't count any more. What you can do for your guest is completely irrelevant.....it's all about securing that 5 star review come hell or high water.

Sandra I am going to keep on doing what I am doing because it is making me money but Airbnb are completely ar*e about face!

It's not about what went well....it's all about what went wrong, all the time trying to lever out that problem area...How completely bloody stupid is that!

Why any organisation would want to promote it's negatives rather than its positives is completely beyond me. 

I was so sure I was going to have a blank month with no review when everyting went so well, and that would have affected my stats. But through the intervention of something other than Airbnb I did end up with a good review and 5 stars, so, It's not all bad. Happy quilting possum!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 You deserved that five star review - But I know that is not why you reached out to your guests. Still, nice to be acknowledged for going the extra mile to help this couple salvage their vacation. 

I remain grateful to ABB for providing me with the opportunities it does via their platform; and I still have wonderful experiences with my guests (including positive, 5 star 'overall' reviews) 99.9% of the time - The community factor is a large reason why I enjoy hosting ABB guests specifically, and it makes ABB the ideal platform for me and matches my aspirations as an owner/host sharing my personal property. 

With that said, the only way I have been able to maintain this sense of gratitude and personal and professional enjoyment is to forget about the review system altogether, and also, to let go of my 'attachment' to being a Super Host. I let go of this 'need' / 'want' to maintain my Super Host status because of the new requirements being rolled out in July and the fact that a weighted average is not being used, and they have left things in like 'Location'. Also, due to a lack of education of guests, who believe that four stars equals 'good', and five stars is reserved for a luxury hotel-type experience. 

Once I let go of all of my fears and attachments related to all things 'Super Host', I began to thoroughly enjoy hosting again, for I no longer saw guests as potential sources of difficulty, unfairness, and even emotional pain. Perhaps one day ABB will revise their rating system; educate guests better; and support hosts more when an unfair / malicious / retaliatory review is left (i.e., support and fair resolutions should be the norm and standard, not the exception). But until and unless these things happen, to save my own sanity, I simply had to pretend the rating system does not exist, and keep treating hosts in the manner I would hope to be treated, and offer them all of the comfort, kindness, and amenities that I am capable of offering, without depleting myself to a point of resentment and exhaustion.

That's the best solution I can come up with thus far in regard to this vexing rating system.

Gina32
Level 10
Bridport, Australia

Well done @Robin4 What an excellent way to save the situation for them. I'm sure they will remember your kindness for a long time. We have often gone the extra mile for guest but you top the poll ...many more miles. The Aussie Spirit lives.