Let's Play A Game ..... Partial Refund Mania!

Let's Play A Game ..... Partial Refund Mania!

Welcome to:

Partial Refund Mania ..... The Game! 

Please follow the rules and have fun!

Rules:

You are an Airbnb host.  The cost to rent your place is $100 per night.  The guests have enjoyed your place however one thing has gone wrong and they have asked for "A PARTIAL REFUND".   Now that Murphy's law has caught up to you ... you must decide how much of the $100 you feel is fair to give back for each separate instance. 

Listed below are 20 situations.  These might not all apply to your place but play along anyway!  For each one item that has gone wrong decide how much of the $100 should be refunded.  Assume that everything else has gone well except this one thing and that you were not able to fix it in time before the guests checked out. The refund must be from a number from $0 to $100. Number your reply from 1-20 and give your partial refund amount for each situation. Good luck!

Situations:

#1) Your wifi router got fried in the storm last night so there is no wifi and guests want partial refund! 

#2) Guests found hair in the shower and now want partial refund!

#3) You accidently walked in on some guests not realizing they were already there. You apologize but you woke them up and they want a partial refund.

#4) The parking spot that was reserved for guests has been taken. They have to park 10 minutes away and walk. They want a partial refund.

#5) That good old air matress finally gave out in the middle of the night.  They want a partial refund for having to sleep on the floor.

#6) Oh no the codo's pool is closed for cleaning today. Guests are disappointed. They want a partial refund.

#7) Guests locked themselves out of the only bathroom late at night. You have no idea how that happened. Now they want a partial refund.

#8) You left breakfast items for only 2 people when there were actually 6 guests on the reservation.  They want a partial refund. 

#9) The refrigerator has a funky smell.  Guests didn't want to use it.  They want a partial refund instead.

#10) Coffee machine is broken.  They can't get it to work.  They want a partial refund.

#11) 4 guests were staying at your place.  Sadly you only had 2 towells out and they couldn't find others.  They want a partial refund.

#12) Guests had asked you if your bed was hard or soft before arrival.  You said soft.  Whey they arrived they said it was too hard.  They now want a partial refund.

#13) The air conditioner is broke.  Guests were left with a hot room.  They want a partial refund.

#14) Your hairdryer has gone missing. You had it listed as an amenity and they now want a partial refund.

#15) Guest found a few bugs and a spider in your place. They want a partial refund.

#16) A pen was in your washing machine and it damaged a couple pairs of pants and some shirts.  They want a partial refund.

#17) Guests complain that your listing says a local attraction is just 10 minutes away but it turned out to be 30 minutes for them.  They want a partial refund.

#18) Guests ran out of hot water.  They are upset that not everyone can shower.  They want a partial refund.

#19) Guest says your place gave them allergies in the eye. They will have to go to a doctor for a perscription.  They want a partial refund.  

#20) Your neighbor's dog was barking and kept guests awake and they want a partial refund!

38 Replies 38
Mark1357
Level 4
Casa de Oro-Mount Helix, CA

Depending on the answer to this 1. Question. Is there any validity to these complaints???  If you answer is yes to more then (any amount you that you would tolorate if you were the guest) just how much of your money would you want back? 

Yes ... there is validity.  That is the point of the game.  Assume this happened.  Now how much would you give as a partial refund for each one of these.  The game is to see what the average host would give back as a partial refund. (if you want to be the guest that is fine too ... how much would you ask for when it comes to a partial refund) 

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Stephan-And-Skye0 

OK, I'll play (I'm assuming each of these scenarios are a single night booking and there is no real opportunity to offer a discount on a next stay because the guests will literally NEVER be back to the same location), and also assuming these are legitimate complaints and not made up stuff (ie, there's proof where appropriate):

1. Not the hosts fault, but wifi is important to travelers. $20

2. Here's your free apology. $0

3. As a guest, I'd find that creepy. $10 and an "apology treat".

4. Was the parking they got free? $0 with apology and (plausible explanation) Did they have to pay for it (when they wouldn't have if the spot hadn't been taken)? $Cost of alternate parking.

5. Profuse apologies $20

6. Apology, and explanation that no prior notice was given to the host. $5 (plus scrambling to update listing description to note that pool is closed on occassion for cleaning)

7. $0

8. Fast food gift certs for breakfast for 4 (if the extra 4 were listed on the reservation, and assuming extra guests were charged for) This one kind of needs more explanation to give a better response...

9. Just how funky was the smell? Depending - $10, maybe...

10. If truly broken $5

11. If there were 4 people listed on the reservation, and there really were only 2 towels out (and the extra towels were not in an obvious place to find: $10 and a re-write of the house manual to tell guests where to find extra linens.

12. (a) would not have given an opinion in the first place, as it's too subjective a question; (b) apologies and $0, but some kind of "apology treat".

13. $15-20 (depending on how sweltering the place is likely to be)

14. Apologies and a treat, no refund

15. Depends on the type of listing and the location. In my case, I have a basement apt - spiders happen. $0

16. $20-30 (and fire your cleaner!)

17. Apologies and a treat if the attraction IS actually only 10 minutes away. If listing was inaccruate $5

18. Is the hot water tank appropriately sized for 4 people to shower back to back (i.e. 60 gallon?) or is there anything written to let people know to stagger shower times if not? Then $0.

19. Suck it up buttercup. $0 (unless there are known allergens in the unit and they are disclosed).

20. Apologies, $0. Maybe gift certs for coffee if you have them on hand.

OK - how'd I do?  🙂

OMG....Love your answers!!!   hahahahahahahaaa

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Stephan-And-Skye0 

At your prices.....$0

You are not charging enough to be giving money away.

You are already booked for the summer - that's a sign your pricing is too low.

To help you get business at higher pricing, get some professional help to make your pictures more inviting.

I enjoyed your list of problems. Most all of these incidents have happened to me.

Sometimes I give $10, rarely $20, but usually I smile and make light of these trivial matters.

You're an Airbnb host, not a deep pocketed corporation with many employees.

You also have the nuclear option. Smile warmly and be very generous "I understand you are not happy here. I'll refund the last night's stay when you cancel your current reservation." Shuts 'em up everytime

Paul154, sorry but just to confirm your nuclear option - the renters are not happy and their stay is booked for a longer period of time and you are basically calling their complaining bluff to get a reduction or freebies?    I have been renting for just over 2 years and have had very good experiences but always appreciate hearing of issues with other renters and the games that they play.     Appreciated,   Ciao   Allan

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Stephan-And-Skye0 

With the exception of numbers 5 and 16 they would get nothing more than profuse apologies. 

The mattress would be bad so therefore maybe $20. The same for the washing machine. 

And as a guest I might dock you in the review but I would never ask for a refund for anything but the mattress possibly. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stephan-And-Skye0 

Silvia is so charming and I am so confused that our guests forgive us everything 😄 😄 😄

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stephan-And-Skye0 

1. Info on the nearest place they can access free Wifi and $20.

2. One hair? $0 and apology. Lots of hair? Apology and $20. Clean better next time.

3. How did this happen? Profuse apologies, a "So sorry" helium balloon. $0.

4. $20 if they were promised a parking space near the unit.

5. Profuse apologies. $40 if they had to sleep on the floor. IMO extra foamies are a much better choice than air mattresses.

6. If the pool is listed under amenities with no notice that it could occasionally be closed for cleaning (does the mgmnt not have scheduled days to clean it?), $30. Many guests book specifically because of a pool.

7. $0. 

8. Your inattention. Major apologies. $30 or a big basket of goodies.

9. Apologies. $10. Why does your fridge have a funky smell? Set open containers of baking soda in fridge.

10. $10 if there was a nearby place to go for coffee. $20 if not.

11. Again, why are you not paying attention to how many guests on the booking? Was there a house manual saying where to find extra towels? If not, $20.

12. Don't defintively answer those kinds of questions, they are subjective. 

13. $40 if the unit was too hot to sleep well and there were no fans provided.

14. Why did you not know the hairdryer was missing before the guests checked in and replace it? $5.

15. $0 We share the planet with multitudes of insects.

16. $ refunded based on value of clothing ruined or cost of dry cleaning if marks can be removed.

17. $0

18. If hot water heater is adequately large for the number of guests you host to each have a 10 minute shower in a row $0. If not big enough and you don't mention recovery time, $20.

19. $0 No proof it was something in your place.

20. Apologies. Provide earplugs or a white noise machine if your neighbor has a barking dog and disclose in your listing. $0-$30 depending on how likely you think it is that they will leave a bad review.

Some of the above does sound like you need to step up your cleaning routine, and there seem to be a number of things that guests check in to find either broken or missing. Why is that? If you don't check over the unit yourself before check-ins, someone needs to. And do you tell guests to contact you immediately if they find something not working or missing so you have an opportunity to address it?

LOL.  Love your answers especially for#2,3,8 and 11.

Zappa0
Level 10
Key West, FL

I don't think I've ever given a partial for something unless it involved weather and they couldnt stay on the boat. 

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

I dont give Partial refunds unless you cancel... some people try to take advantage of hosts.

JR26
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Today I totally fell for the "I found a bug" line today. She made it sound like all hell was breaking loose. I awoke at 4am to a message: "There is a serious bug problem down here. I've killed quite a few, a couple on the bed (i'd just picked up the comforter from the dryer cleaners the same day...)! I'm so freaked out to even shut off the lights and go to sleep. There was a huge cockroach at the door. So many different bugs inside the house." I immediately gave her a full refund, but upon cleaning her room (thank God she smoked outside, where she likely saw the bugs), I found one dead bug underneath the desk. We have Palmetto bugs, which are really big cockroaches native to the coastal area. She wasn't freaked out enough to draw a bath with bath bomb, eat the snacks, and make coffee (with 6 creamers.....)! 

I learned today NOT to refund anything until AFTER the guest checks out. I like @Stephan-And-Skye0 take of "we share the planet with thousands of insects." I exterminated the property again for safe measure!

I feel for you... I've been there... 1 Bug turns into a complete infestation and the whole house needs to be burned to the ground.