Let's Play A Game ..... Partial Refund Mania!

Let's Play A Game ..... Partial Refund Mania!

Welcome to:

Partial Refund Mania ..... The Game! 

Please follow the rules and have fun!

Rules:

You are an Airbnb host.  The cost to rent your place is $100 per night.  The guests have enjoyed your place however one thing has gone wrong and they have asked for "A PARTIAL REFUND".   Now that Murphy's law has caught up to you ... you must decide how much of the $100 you feel is fair to give back for each separate instance. 

Listed below are 20 situations.  These might not all apply to your place but play along anyway!  For each one item that has gone wrong decide how much of the $100 should be refunded.  Assume that everything else has gone well except this one thing and that you were not able to fix it in time before the guests checked out. The refund must be from a number from $0 to $100. Number your reply from 1-20 and give your partial refund amount for each situation. Good luck!

Situations:

#1) Your wifi router got fried in the storm last night so there is no wifi and guests want partial refund! 

#2) Guests found hair in the shower and now want partial refund!

#3) You accidently walked in on some guests not realizing they were already there. You apologize but you woke them up and they want a partial refund.

#4) The parking spot that was reserved for guests has been taken. They have to park 10 minutes away and walk. They want a partial refund.

#5) That good old air matress finally gave out in the middle of the night.  They want a partial refund for having to sleep on the floor.

#6) Oh no the codo's pool is closed for cleaning today. Guests are disappointed. They want a partial refund.

#7) Guests locked themselves out of the only bathroom late at night. You have no idea how that happened. Now they want a partial refund.

#8) You left breakfast items for only 2 people when there were actually 6 guests on the reservation.  They want a partial refund. 

#9) The refrigerator has a funky smell.  Guests didn't want to use it.  They want a partial refund instead.

#10) Coffee machine is broken.  They can't get it to work.  They want a partial refund.

#11) 4 guests were staying at your place.  Sadly you only had 2 towells out and they couldn't find others.  They want a partial refund.

#12) Guests had asked you if your bed was hard or soft before arrival.  You said soft.  Whey they arrived they said it was too hard.  They now want a partial refund.

#13) The air conditioner is broke.  Guests were left with a hot room.  They want a partial refund.

#14) Your hairdryer has gone missing. You had it listed as an amenity and they now want a partial refund.

#15) Guest found a few bugs and a spider in your place. They want a partial refund.

#16) A pen was in your washing machine and it damaged a couple pairs of pants and some shirts.  They want a partial refund.

#17) Guests complain that your listing says a local attraction is just 10 minutes away but it turned out to be 30 minutes for them.  They want a partial refund.

#18) Guests ran out of hot water.  They are upset that not everyone can shower.  They want a partial refund.

#19) Guest says your place gave them allergies in the eye. They will have to go to a doctor for a perscription.  They want a partial refund.  

#20) Your neighbor's dog was barking and kept guests awake and they want a partial refund!

38 Replies 38

JR10,   I have heard from other renters that the bug scam is one of the more popular ways of getting refunds and you certainly find out the renters who take advantage of every thing.    I have a rental flat in Malta and there is also humidity and weather issues so any advice on other challenges you have had to deal with is appreciated.    Ciao    Allan

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

#1) Your wifi router got fried in the storm last night so there is no wifi and guests want partial refund!  $0 - we have spares

#2) Guests found hair in the shower and now want partial refund! $0 

#3) You accidently walked in on some guests not realizing they were already there. You apologize but you woke them up and they want a partial refund. $0

#4) The parking spot that was reserved for guests has been taken. They have to park 10 minutes away and walk. They want a partial refund. $0

#5) That good old air matress finally gave out in the middle of the night.  They want a partial refund for having to sleep on the floor. $5

#6) Oh no the codo's pool is closed for cleaning today. Guests are disappointed. They want a partial refund. $0

#7) Guests locked themselves out of the only bathroom late at night. You have no idea how that happened. Now they want a partial refund. $0

#8) You left breakfast items for only 2 people when there were actually 6 guests on the reservation.  They want a partial refund. $12

#9) The refrigerator has a funky smell.  Guests didn't want to use it.  They want a partial refund instead. $0

#10) Coffee machine is broken.  They can't get it to work.  They want a partial refund. $0

#11) 4 guests were staying at your place.  Sadly you only had 2 towells out and they couldn't find others.  They want a partial refund. $0

#12) Guests had asked you if your bed was hard or soft before arrival.  You said soft.  Whey they arrived they said it was too hard.  They now want a partial refund. $0

#13) The air conditioner is broke.  Guests were left with a hot room.  They want a partial refund. $20

#14) Your hairdryer has gone missing. You had it listed as an amenity and they now want a partial refund. $0

#15) Guest found a few bugs and a spider in your place. They want a partial refund. $0

#16) A pen was in your washing machine and it damaged a couple pairs of pants and some shirts.  They want a partial refund. $0

#17) Guests complain that your listing says a local attraction is just 10 minutes away but it turned out to be 30 minutes for them.  They want a partial refund. $0

#18) Guests ran out of hot water.  They are upset that not everyone can shower.  They want a partial refund. $0

#19) Guest says your place gave them allergies in the eye. They will have to go to a doctor for a perscription.  They want a partial refund.  $0

#20) Your neighbor's dog was barking and kept guests awake and they want a partial refund! $0

$37 (possibly).

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I think it's better to offer all or nothing. They could feel free to leave and get a full refund, or stay and pay the whole thing. I think most would pick the latter. You should definitely charge the cleaning fee regardless, since they decided to show up. A lot of this is kind of rediculous and I wouldn't want to humor any of it.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've never had a guest ask for a refund at all.

I have 9 units on AirBnb give it time!

Sheri68
Level 1
Altoona, PA

I’m not going to respond to each item but... if you advertise certain amenities and they aren’t working or available... that is your bad. Check the appliances, towels etc after each guest.  If it’s something you had no control over such as the storm frying the router...I don’t think you should reimburse, unless it’s a long term stay and you ignored the issue. Sadly I have to say I stayed in an Airbnb in Pittsburgh Pa that all of the above  examples applied. This host had an apartment building with 4 units he rented out.  We arrived at 11 pm directions and parking were good. We entered the building and there was NO lighting. We had to use our phone lights to find our way to the second floor apartment. We enter the apartment and it is HOT.  Didn’t turn on the air for us in the summertime!  Linens smelled like dirty oily hair. Pretty sure they were not washed. Advertised coffee and creamer... there was coffee but no creamer.  We had to pay an additional $10 for both the 3rd and 4 th guest and we had to share 1 wash cloth.  I messaged the host and to let him know the light In The stairwell was out and that there were not enough wash clothes. His response.... next time open your wallet and stay at a hotel.  I reported him to Airbnb and they did nothing.

You're nitpicking...

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

I don't know if my responses are in line with other hosts, but I don't think most of these items warrant any form of refund.  

#1) Your wifi router got fried in the storm last night so there is no wifi and guests want partial refund! 

$0 - my place is in the Caribbean, and interruptions to Internet service, or other utilities happen regularly.  To manage guest expectations, I state on my listing that restoration of service may take a few days.  

#2) Guests found hair in the shower and now want partial refund! 

$0 - I will come clean the room again in the guest's presence, and apologize for any inconvenience.

#3) You accidently walked in on some guests not realizing they were already there. You apologize but you woke them up and they want a partial refund. 

$0 - I think this situation may more likely occur when hosts share spaces with guests.  My guestrooms are not on the same level where I reside.  I would need a very legitimate reason to enter their room, and would have made sure to knock loudly on the door before entering. 

#4) The parking spot that was reserved for guests has been taken. They have to park 10 minutes away and walk. They want a partial refund. 

$0 - If it's not my car, I would attempt to locate the owner of the vehicle parked in the reserved spot, and have them move.  Depending upon the impact to the guest (some have mobility problems), I may call to have the rogue vehicle towed.  Reserved parking doesn't guarantee the prevention of an unauthorized vehicle parking in the space.

#5) That good old air matress finally gave out in the middle of the night.  They want a partial refund for having to sleep on the floor.

$50 - Sleeping is a significant component of staying in a room.  A complete refund is not offered, because the other amenities were available and functioned properly.

#6) Oh no the codo's pool is closed for cleaning today. Guests are disappointed. They want a partial refund.

$0 - Pools and hot tubs are routinely closed for maintenance even at the best resorts, and guests are offered only an apology.  Manage guest expectations by informing them ahead of time that the condo routinely cleans the pool, and there may be a time during their stay that it will be unavailable.

#7) Guests locked themselves out of the only bathroom late at night. You have no idea how that happened. Now they want a partial refund.

$0 - There is a reason why bathrooms have special doorknobs.  In the US, we call them privacy door knobs.  Push a pin in the outer door knob, and open the door.  You can also leave the pin with the guest.

#8) You left breakfast items for only 2 people when there were actually 6 guests on the reservation.  They want a partial refund. 

$X-amount it would have cost to provide the items for the four others, plus the grocery delivery fee.  I am not willing to pay for all of them to have a prepared meal outside of the home.

#9) The refrigerator has a funky smell.  Guests didn't want to use it.  They want a partial refund instead.

$0 - I'd clean the refrigerator again, throw out the offending items, or offer to let the guest put their food in my refrigerator.

#10) Coffee machine is broken.  They can't get it to work.  They want a partial refund.

$0 - What is the situation?  Is the machine is broken, or the guest just can figure out how it works?

#11) 4 guests were staying at your place.  Sadly you only had 2 towells out and they couldn't find others.  They want a partial refund.

$X - reimbursement to the guest for the additional towels, and the guest must leave the towels upon departure.

#12) Guests had asked you if your bed was hard or soft before arrival.  You said soft.  Whey they arrived they said it was too hard.  They now want a partial refund.

$0 - Bed comfort is subjective.  What I consider to be soft may be like sleeping on a board to another person.  I would only provide the manufacturer's classification of the bed when it was purchased (soft, medium, medium firm, firm, extra firm, ect.).

#13) The air conditioner is broke.  Guests were left with a hot room.  They want a partial refund.

$10 - My rooms all have ceiling fans and windows with screens.  Although this may not get the room temperature to the same level as an air conditioner, there are other cooling methods available.

#14) Your hairdryer has gone missing. You had it listed as an amenity and they now want a partial refund.

$X - reimbursement to the guest for a replacement hair dryer, and the guest must leave the hair dryer upon departure.

#15) Guest found a few bugs and a spider in your place. They want a partial refund.

$0 - My place is in the tropics.

#16) A pen was in your washing machine and it damaged a couple pairs of pants and some shirts.  They want a partial refund.

$0 - It is the guest's responsibility to check the wash tub before putting in their clothes.

#17) Guests complain that your listing says a local attraction is just 10 minutes away but it turned out to be 30 minutes for them.  They want a partial refund.

$0 - The estimation of travel duration is subjective.  If journey times are very important the guests, they should check Google Maps, Bing Maps, Mapquest, Waze, etc., for more accurate route directions and travel time.

#18) Guests ran out of hot water.  They are upset that not everyone can shower.  They want a partial refund.

$0 - I will assume that the hot water heater is the appropriate size to accommodate the total number of people staying at the location, and running out of hot water is not a normal occurrence (otherwise, the host would have gotten a larger capacity water heating unit).  If this is the case, I am not compensating the guests for being inconsiderate and using all of the hot water.  

#19) Guest says your place gave them allergies in the eye. They will have to go to a doctor for a perscription.  They want a partial refund.  

$0 - I would have to review the medical report, and it would need to document all previously known allergies or prior allergic reactions.  Guests with a history of allergies or sensitivities, have a responsibility for their own wellbeing to make an inquiry about use or presence of triggering agents prior to/soon after booking.  I use common household ingredients that are known to cause allergic reactions for some (e.g., prepare meals with nuts, wheat, onions and seafood; clean with bleaching agents, and use shampoos, soaps and laundry detergent with perfumes), and would take measures to restrict using them during the stay of a potentially affected guest.

#20) Your neighbor's dog was barking and kept guests awake and they want a partial refund!

$0 - Guests stay in private residences for the homelike experience.  This sometimes includes enduring inconveniences caused by neighbors, their pets and children.

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Well out of the $100 it would seem I owe them $500!

thats me out of business must try harder!

i did have a guest who asked if the mattress was hard or soft - I replied soft and they later complained it was too soft, there goes my super host status - happy days

@Jeremy100     It's a loaded question, that and noise and accessibility and pretty much anything, because it's all personal perception.  I always say it's relative and suggest they read the reviews to get an overview of other guest's perceptions. Or, the manufacturer has graded it xxx, web mapping has approximated the walk at xxx minutes. etc.

Classic!!!

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

Thank you for posting a wonderful post, that made me smile! That what I need after having a problematic guest.

I will give a partial refund ONLY if the guest was talking to me in a nice manner, without insults and demanding behavior. If the guest was very rude, I will not refund him anything even if I am threatened by Airbnb.

#1) $20. Might offer discounted stay next time instead.

#2) One hair - no refund. More than 3 hair - $10 or free cleaning if he is still staying.

#3) I never go in. If I am the guest myself, I will be totally upset and refund of $50 to $100 will be right. The worse memories I ever had about my own stays, when host entered my room...

#4) I can't imagine how the reserved slot was taken. I will fight that guy, who took my personal parking slot! IF that's my own space. Otherwise I will offer refund for amount that nearby parking charged.

#5) I honestly believe that if the guest found out he has to sleep on the floor he would immediately contact the host and Airbnb as well. And as per Airbnb rules, I have to answer even in the middle of the night. Yep. If you didn't know... So, I will have to find a replacement or get that matress fixed or bring a new one. If the guest contacted me after he comfortably slept on the floir, I will presume it was totally fine for him and if he wants a refund - "talk to Airbnb"!

That actually happened to me several times. If I am the guest, I will be also upset if no pool. One lady contacted me after checkout and I returned 30%. So, it will be $30. Another guest complained right away and we transfered him to my other unit that had a pool. He was still upset, because the second room was smaller. Another option was Cancelation... So, at the end of the day he agreed. Most probably he spent the day shopping for other place with the pool, but my place was the cheapest and yet, very nice.

That happened to me and I got a very bad review! There was a written instruction on how to operate the door lock, and the guest didn't ask for refund. Honestly, even there was a refund, the guest was so upset and threatened immediately to give bad review, and she will do that irregardless of refund, because she is that kind of a person! Since there was a note how to open the door, no refund. If there was no note, then $20 will be fine.

#8) Well, free breakfast or paid? If paid, then those money for breakfast for 4 people must be refunded PLUS $20 as apology. If free, then no refund, of course. I do sometimes leave free items like candies, that are for less people than in reservation. So far no one complained.

#9) Again, when did they tell me that? If early, we will immediately clean and will use chlorine for that, with their permission. If the guests are adequate people and simply want to keep their cake overnight, we will bring their cake into another room with not smelly refrigerator. If the guest complained after checkout, we will investigate where this smell came from. If from the same guest, then no refund. If it's our fault, $20 refund will be fine.

#10) Same as above.

#11) we always leave extra towels and they are easy to find. So far, no one used them as they are lower quality than originally for the guests. However, if that situation happened than $20 will be fine.

#12) no such games here. I presume that the message was sent through Airbnb system for a proper record and soft means what manufacturer actually puts on mattress. We keep all documents and checks for everything we buy for guests. No refund.

By the way, there are double sided mattresses with one side soft and one side hard.

#13) The air conditioner is broke. Guests were left with a hot room. They want a partial refund.

We experienced such situation. In that situation the guest will contact you immediately. In our tropical climate staying in the condominium with no aircon is impossible. We transferred the guest to other unit after she suffered one night with no aircon. Yet, she was so nice and left a very nice review, totally unexpected. If the guest complained before midnight, then transfer or full refund. If after midnight, $50 will be fine.

#14) It happened to us many times and no one complained. $10 will be fine. It's even more than Hairdryer costs 🙂

#15) that what happened to me and Airbnb woke me up in the middle of the night, though the guest complained in the evening and stayed overnight. While she was comfortably sleeping the Airbnb kept me awake till 5am. Needless to say that I was not able to sleep at all, as the Airbnb brought too much of the stress on my shoulders.

They said that the pictures were enough to prove that there were cockroaches. So anyone can download pictures from the Internet and demand for refund. Be aware!!!

When I asked Airbnb staff what made them think that pictures are taken are really in my unit, one agent said "it's confidential information". Second one said its because the pictures have "the same tiles". But we have the same tiles in the hallway!

Yes, Airbnb agents were changing their shifts. They took care about their sleep while making me awake whole night!!!

I have asked them to give me time till exactly 10am. That's the time when our admins start working and I can call for their attention and our whole staff, from cleaners to engineers. But Airbnb didn't grant my request and at 9am they automatically returned 50% to the client. I don't know what they offered her for next days of the reservation as she stayed at my place only 1 night. But she left my place in very messy condition with trash all over, stepping with the shoes on the towels and the bedsheets were taken off from the bed and thrown on the floor, full of dirt.

#16) no refund as someone has eyes to see that pen. If the pen was hidden, then $20 will be fine.

#17) we follow Google maps instructions. If it says 10 min from point A to point B, then no refund. I am not responsible for taxi driver being slow, for traffic and anything else that Google maps can't predict.

#18) see #9. In addition to that we will investigate the reason. If the guest failed to turn on electric switches while its written in house rules how to turn them on plus he "forgot" to contact me, then no refund.

#19) Guest must show the physical evidence and we will see from there.

#20) our building is pet free, but I would suggest to all hosts to put the information about the neighbors dogs that might bark in the house rules. This way the guest will see that and must acknowledge that Before his booking. It is nice of you also to inform the guests. You know that not all people are cats or dogs lovers...

@Kat84 If you were unlucky and all incidence occurred, you would have lost $200 or more instead of earn $100 according to your answers. 🙂

Fyi - I've never had requests for refunds before. I did refund 1~2 nights to long-term guests a few times because they booked before booking their flight and mentioned they may have to change the check in or check out days by a couple days depending on their flight plan - then later decided we wanted the guest to keep the booking with as-is (because of a system glitch that caused pricing problems when trying to change long-term bookings) and we just refunded the nights not stayed (after actual check in or check out day).

#1) Your wifi router got fried in the storm last night so there is no wifi and guests want partial refund! - NO.

I have a disclaimer. The wifi was installed for "host personal use" and access is shared with guests at no additional cost. Plus Henry works in IT and works from home. He'd be going crazy.... more than the guest.

#2) Guests found hair in the shower and now want partial refund! - NO.

It's probably the guest's own hair.

#3) You accidently walked in on some guests not realizing they were already there. You apologize but you woke them up and they want a partial refund. - NO

My listing is a private room, and accidents happen. This reminds me of something that happened recently. Henry and I got home from dinner and the house SEEMED empty. Henry told me I should open the guest bathroom door a crack and turn on the vent fan - that the guest often leaves the door shut closed and doesn't turn on the fan during or after showers, trapping in the humidity and causing the bathroom to get stinky. The bathroom door was shut and lights were off. I turned the fan on as was trying to open the door but felt resistence. Pushed harder, then suddenly heard a voice from inside the bathroom "I'm in here". - WTF was he doing in the bathroom with the lights off?!?!?!? (it would be completely dark) I appologized when he came out - the lights were off in the bathroom AND his shoes weren't there (near the entrance) so we had no idea he was home. I was only trying to AIR the bathroom. We laughed and that was it.

#4) The parking spot that was reserved for guests has been taken. They have to park 10 minutes away and walk. They want a partial refund. - Depends

If they paid for and were promised a specific parking spot right in front of the home/entrance then I would refund what they paid for parking. Any other situation NO.

#5) That good old air matress finally gave out in the middle of the night.  They want a partial refund for having to sleep on the floor. - NO.

#6) Oh no the codo's pool is closed for cleaning today. Guests are disappointed. They want a partial refund. - Depends.

If they are staying just 1 night then 10%, if multiple days then NO.

#7) Guests locked themselves out of the only bathroom late at night. You have no idea how that happened. Now they want a partial refund. - NO WAY~!!!!

They want a partial refund for being idiots who lock themselves out of a bathroom?!?!?! Are you KIDDING ME?!?!?!?!?

#8) You left breakfast items for only 2 people when there were actually 6 guests on the reservation.  They want a partial refund. - I would not call it a refund but would pay a sum to cover for a decent breakfast for 4 people. If there were 6 people named on the reservation then there should have been enough for 6 guests, no excuse.

#9) The refrigerator has a funky smell.  Guests didn't want to use it.  They want a partial refund instead. - NO.

Guest should define "funky" Could I say the guests have a "funky smell" to them that will make the room stink and charge for extra cleaning???

#10) Coffee machine is broken.  They can't get it to work.  They want a partial refund. - Depends but probably NO.

They probably broke it. And I always have instant coffee available as back up.

#11) 4 guests were staying at your place.  Sadly you only had 2 towells out and they couldn't find others.  They want a partial refund. - NO WAY~~~!!!!!!

They were so stupid they can't find towels unless the towels are out in plain sight?!?!? And they could always message and ask where extra towels are. Why should anyone else pay for their stupidity.

#12) Guests had asked you if your bed was hard or soft before arrival.  You said soft.  Whey they arrived they said it was too hard.  They now want a partial refund. - NO.

Hard/soft is relative and up to individual preference anyway~

#13) The air conditioner is broke.  Guests were left with a hot room.  They want a partial refund. - Depends on how hot but probably NO.

#14) Your hairdryer has gone missing. You had it listed as an amenity and they now want a partial refund. - NO.

They could have asked for one or asked where the hairdryer is.

#15) Guest found a few bugs and a spider in your place. They want a partial refund. - NO.

Probably the guest's own fault for opening the window screen and letting bugs in.

#16) A pen was in your washing machine and it damaged a couple pairs of pants and some shirts.  They want a partial refund. - Would depend on who's pen, but in our home, it would be highly likely it's probably the guest's own pen so NO.

If it was the host's pen, then anything what didn't wash out I'd pay a small sum after considering depreciation.

#17) Guests complain that your listing says a local attraction is just 10 minutes away but it turned out to be 30 minutes for them.  They want a partial refund. - NO.

I'm not responsible for the route they decided to take or for traffic.

#18) Guests ran out of hot water.  They are upset that not everyone can shower.  They want a partial refund. - NO.

It's probably because they were taking excessively long showers to start with.

#19) Guest says your place gave them allergies in the eye. They will have to go to a doctor for a perscription.  They want a partial refund.  - NO.

How are they sure it's something in my home that gave then allergies and not something from some other place they were at during the day? or some new make up or facial product they used? And I never claimed to be an allergen-free home so they should have checked with me first if they have allergies.

#20) Your neighbor's dog was barking and kept guests awake and they want a partial refund! - NO.

If it's noisy outside, CLOSE THE WINDOWS!!!!!!

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I like this thread!

I voluntarily gave a guest a refund one time when there were roots growing into the sewer pipes and my guests said they had been working the plunger to unstop the shower tray after draining water out of the tub. I felt bad and gave them a 1/2 day refund. I also consulted with an Airbnb rep.

#1) Your wifi router got fried. I would give them a 1/2 day refund. People NEED their Internet these days. I think a hotel would automatically give some sort of refund.

#2) Guests found hair in the shower! No refund. I do a rigorous cleaning but it's impossible to do a perfect job. Hair doesn't ruin a stay. Sorry.

#5) That good old air matress finally gave out in the middle of the night. If a spring busted through the mattess I might give a 1/2 day refund.

#10) Coffee machine is broken. They can't get it to work.

Refund for the cost of a cup of coffee times each guest. Not much of a refund.

#11) 4 guests were staying at your place. Sadly you only had 2 towells out and they couldn't find others.

Well if they had simply ASKED for more towels I would have provided them right away. No refund.

#12) Guests had asked you if your bed was hard or soft before arrival. You said soft.

I already explain in great detail about the mattress they will be sleeping on so no refund. Even if I didn't mention they should have ASKED if mattress firmness is such a BIG DEAL to them.

#13) The air conditioner is broke. Guests were left with a hot room. They want a partial refund.

I'd give them some sort of refund  depending on the severity of the heat.

Welcome to planet earth. Bugs get get into homes. Ants can be controlled but not eliminated. They are just part of the ecosystem. No refund. I even explain that in my area it's not a matter if but when ants get into the room during the summer.

#19) Guest says your place gave them allergies in the eye. Nonsense. Go ahead and try and prove it in court.

#20) Your neighbor's dog was barking and kept guests awake!  Already disclosed in my listing. No refund.