Letter to Airbnb

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Letter to Airbnb

I would ask the company to consider something.

I am never going to be able to host more than one booking per night, I do not have that corporate structure that the company’s philosophy and strategy appears to be driven towards…

I am a core host, one of the few million who got you going, and where you are today!

My desire is to welcome every guest in the best way I can, and make them feel at easy and comfortable with their decision to book, not only with me, but with Airbnb. I welcome every guest in a different way....... sometimes efficiently, sometimes with humour, sometimes as a host, sometimes as a hotelier.

I can only do this if I can see who I am dealing with. I can’t do this when I am only provided with a name. I open a conversation stream with a guest couple in their 50-60’s entirely differently than I would with a pair of friends in their early 20’s, or a young family. A photo tells me how my contact should be opened, a blank sentence does not!

A photo does not influence whether I host a guest or not, it tells me how to get this hosting off to a good start…

And surely, isn’t that what Airbnb wants?

Please allow me to do my job to the best of my ability and give me back those profile photos that I need to be able to do that!

Cheers.....Rob

111 Replies 111

@Muslima so you are ok with staying somewhere they would not have let you in should have they seen your picture by hiding who you are till arrival? You do not think they would hate you even more at that point? And should we hide names too? Yours is pretty telling if someone wanted to not host women from middle east

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

But then why not police the actual photos? Say it has to be a passport sized head and shoulders shot.....what's wrong with that? Why take the photos away completely so that we all have to suffer? 

Andrea605
Level 1
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Very well worded, Linda. I am 100% with you. I would like to add that the profile photo is an expression on how the person would like to be seen, therefore an important element for the sucess of the future interaction. Besides it also reveal intentions and attitudes that are extremelly important to be on display for us once we are hosting people within the our own private properties. Not long ago I've received a inquiry from a guest that had her profile picture shwoing only her breast and a bottle of prosseco. This was a clear way of express her attitude and interested so I could cleary tell her that unfortunatally my home wouldn't be suitable for what she had in mind.

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

thanks Andrea for that insight. I think all countries and cultures have their own perspectives and ideas of what they like and don't like. Clearly, a picture of a woman like that is not going to appeal to people in muslim countries nor maybe in catholic countries. THAT is not the fault of the host. That needs to be addressed at the point of them displaying their photos. I believe we humans are keen to share and serve, especially if we are hosts. It is our desire to welcome people even if we are doing it for the little extra money it brings. You can indeed determine a lot from the picture of the guest and it does help you decide if they are a good fit for your home. I have hosted many young people who have not had the best attitude to my home but that doesn't stop me hosting all young people. But it does help me manage their expectations and for me to explain my standards very clearly. Photos are very useful to give a flavour. Oh and as I've mentioned in another post on this thread, surnames might be useful too. Otherwise you could be booking anyone at all into your home. It is a scary prospect.

Anika13
Level 2
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

I'm not for this at all.  I hate the fact of not seeing potential guest photos before bookings.  If so, I think airbnb should just do away with hosts photos too.   Just as you want guests to feel welcomed seeing us in addition to our homes, it should be reciprocated.

I have been receiving reservation requests from guests who do not qualify with my full verification requirements and are also making their 1st Airbnb booking.   I feel that photos, especially for 1st bookings with no reviews, start the process for me to determine whether to approve or decline.  I've already had to decline a few cases as these and I fear if I continue, It would affect my search ranking. 

I also noticed today that I could not even view the guests profile to read the reviews this apart from not seeing the profile photo.  What if the review was bad?  It means now I have to scrutinise even more.....might have to ask for their last booking host.

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Anika, I didn't realise that you couldn't even see their past reviews! THAT is bad. I shall check. If we were to back out of being airbnb hosts, is that what they, the upper echelons want? Are they looking to squeeze us out now they have their foot in the corporate door? If so, perhaps we should start our own website. 

Anika13
Level 2
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

Hi Jenny, since my posting I am now able to see the reviews.  Not sure if it was a glitch, but I could not see anything.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

My biggest concern is that Airbnb is slowly stripping away at our control and security of inviting people into our homes. As  has been mentioned many times often times the profile picture isn't a true representation of the person. But it's a step that they have to think about and do. And now in some areas last names are being held back. What's next? No true ID? It's something that I think about every time I get an inquiry or reservation.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Beth80 @Anika13 @Linda612

I try to give as much information to a prospective guest as I can before they book and many guests tell me, the thing that made them feel comfortable booking with us was my last listing photo....

Welcome photo.png

Most guests feel this photo gives them confidence that they are going to be looked after.

Here I am trying to give guests all the information I can.....and Airbnb are more than happy for that to be passed on to the guest. The more I can tell the guest about me the happier Airbnb are. Why is it a one way street. Once again most guests tell me they are more than happy to provide a decent photo image.

Why is it ok on my side but, it is not ok on the guests side.

What is it that makes guests such good judges of character....and hosts such poor judges of character that they can't be trusted with personal information!

Cheers......Rob

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hey Rob, Agreed with you completely. I think I will change my own profile picture and not show so much of myself on airbnb. Lesson learned. The reviews should speak for themselves.

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I've changed it now. If it seriously damages my bookings, I'll have to reconsider, but for now, the personal info has gone. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jenny662

Jenny, how are you coping with the cold over there? 

Hey, I just had a look at your profile, and, please, this is not a personal criticism Jenny, I don't like it. It makes you look a frightened, possibly paranoid host!

You are a wonderful host, your guests love you, but the way you are now describing your experience with Airbnb, it sounds like you do not want to be here any longer and this may put a lot of potential guests off....you didn't get all those wonderful reviews by speaking like that Jenny! I would rethink this if I were you and try for a more 'middle ground' approach which gives you the required amount of personal annonimity without making Airbnb look like 'Big Brother'!!

The other thing I noticed, have you snoozed or removed your listing....it is not showing on your profile? 

All the best.

Cheers.....Rob

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Robin4

I haven't snoozed my listing. At all. I will take another look at my profile and what you are seeing. But don't you think it IS big brother? Seriously? Don't you think we're all being coralled and herded like cattle into taxes and dead ends? Honestly, I think we all need to wake up and take action however small.

Jenny662
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Robin4 wrote:

@Jenny662

Jenny, how are you coping with the cold over there? 

Hey, I just had a look at your profile, and, please, this is not a personal criticism Jenny, I don't like it. It makes you look a frightened, possibly paranoid host!

You are a wonderful host, your guests love you, but the way you are now describing your experience with Airbnb, it sounds like you do not want to be here any longer and this may put a lot of potential guests off....you didn't get all those wonderful reviews by speaking like that Jenny! I would rethink this if I were you and try for a more 'middle ground' approach which gives you the required amount of personal annonimity without making Airbnb look like 'Big Brother'!!

The other thing I noticed, have you snoozed or removed your listing....it is not showing on your profile? 

All the best.

Cheers.....Rob

Hi Rob,

They knocked out all of my listings. I've had to relist them all. This is the first time ever.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jenny662

Yes, your 3 listings are now back and visible Jenny.....love Syrup and Luna!

And good on you girl for dumping the first part of your profile description.

I know you are crying out to make a statement, a lot of us are but, Airbnb are sensitive about criticism......it has even been said in the past that vocal critics here on the CC have had their visibility compromised to some extent, although that has never happened to me and I am sure the forum moderators would vehermently deny that this would happen. But to get personal with Airbnb on your profile is courting an issue and that is possibly what has happened...Trust and Safety did not feel good about that.

Big Brother.....yes maybe it is Jenny, but it is their company, and I guess we either play by their rules or we go elsewhere if we don't like it. I am not happy with a lot that I am seeing on this platform. I feel this company is a far cry from the one of three years ago when I started to host, but I am still getting plenty of guests and I am still making money! The moment my Airbnb hosting starts to suffer by this 'coralling' (as you put it), I will concentrate my efforts elsewhere.

To me, I have Airbnb on an elastic string, there is a breaking point but as long as the stretch is still there the relationship is OK!

Cheers......Rob