License registration with DBKL

Rita684
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

License registration with DBKL

Hi there,

Trying to adhere to DBKL's announcement/regulation to register STR properties with them through their e-license portal. But no clear instruction on how or which license to obtain. When I called the license department in DBKL - they seemed as clueless as I am. The officer advised to go to DBKL office, level 5, tower 2, and bring the forms and supporting documents (which form or what documents - no idea). She then did a quick check and advised there is no such license (short-term rental of a single unit) available yet. I could make my way to DBKL office and make the same inquiry, but if the license department is not aware of this regulation, then my effort will be in vain.

So I'm stuck. Anyone else facing the same problem?

16 Replies 16
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi @Rita684 just this morning I received an email concerning new regulations:

Hi Jim,

The Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture (MOTAC) recently announced that hosts in Malaysia need to register their listing with the Ministry.

We’ve been working closely with MOTAC to make the registration process easier for hosts. To register, simply complete the form and send it to pendaftaranSTA@motac.gov.myor Bahagian Pelesenan Pelancongan, Kementerian Pelancongan, Seni dan Budaya, Aras 1 No. 2 Menara 1, Jalan p5/6 Presint 5, 62200 Putrajaya.

Is this helpful? 

Rita684
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi @Jim472 ,

Ah yes, correct. I've looked at the MOTAC form too. It asks whether business license from local authorities have been obtained. In my case, no. So wondering if that would be an issue. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Oh no, I assume since it's separated by individual / company then unless you're a Sdn Bhd who owns a bunch of rentals then you just full out borang a1 and skip the 2nd and 5th questions on declaration form since it says "if applicable" 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Should say 2&5 under 2 part of declaration, document part. 

Adam278
Level 2
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

I think Airbnb got confused, they sent to all Malaysia listings. This is only to KL and semenanjung but not Sabah and Sarawak.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Morning @Rita684 , what did you use to justify your pembuktian milikan premis penginapan? I'm looking through all my paperwork I got out of storage last night and I can't find anything definitive.

Rita684
Level 2
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hi @Jim472 

Do you have any documents that states your name as the owner of the property? S&P agreement, strata title or fire insurance policy?

I have yet to submit my form and docs - will probably do it today. Will update once I get feedback from MOTAC. 

Thanks! 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I've got all that but spread out over multiple pages and forms. I was just looking for a single page stating I was the owner but can't seem to find it. 

Hi @Jim472 @Rita684  I have also received the same email and a bit confused, tried to check with airbnb support but they don't have much information on this form. In my case i am not the owner and just renting out 1 room. Do i need to attach any document along with the form? especially approval from JMB of condominium, am also not sure if there is any issue from JMB renting a room on airbnb but i do see many airbnb guests at lobby so i guess it shouldn't be a problem.Maybe this form is just to get information about host and nothing serious.

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Atia0 if I was sub-letting I wouldn't even bother. Let them come find me if they care so much. I this whole thing is just MOTAC dipping their toes in the water to assess whether or not it's worth full scale implementation for the purpose of taxes. Much like 8 or so months ago, some other government department wanted info on airbnb owners but I skipped that one. 😜 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I guess I'll just snap a photo strata front and back and call it a day. If they want more they can come and get it. 

Marcus242
Level 1
Shah Alam, Malaysia

Would it be a scam?

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

@Marcus242 no. 

Adam-and-Wenny0
Level 1
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

hi there, did anyone get to register with DBKL or Motac?