Linen and Bedding Configurations

Ron112
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

Linen and Bedding Configurations

We have a mystery on our hands. We put fresh cleaned bottom sheets (2) on the covered mattress; a top sheet; a blanket; and a Duvet or bed spread (Quilt). We noticed that some of our guests do not sleep between the top sheet and the bottom sheets, but are sleeping directly under the duvet or bed spread. We thought it was because of the way we made the bed, so we turned down the bed sheet like turn down service in a hotel. They still want to sleep on top of the sheets. Our sheets are new and freshly washed. We feel obliged to wash the duvet or bedspread everytime if people don't use the sheets. This is hard on the bedding and increases our laundry by 3 loads.

Any suggestions or thoughts why people are doing this? This is a standard configuration for most hotels in Canada.

Regards

Ron

32 Replies 32
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

I don't care how guests sleep.  I wash the Bedspread, Quilt, or Duvet between each and every guest.  I don't give it a "Sniff Test", I don't look it over and think about it, I don't shake it out, and hope for the best.  It comes off the bed and goes into the washer, the same way that the mattress protector does after the sheets come off.

Thanks, we will have to go to a more washable style of bed spread to do this. They quite decorative in nature and not designed to be washed frequently.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ron112

It's common practice in the Uk just to use a bottom sheet and then a duvet - but not a top sheet as well. 

Thanks, we will have to look at this configuration as the normal.

R

One guest told me that I should stop using the duvet because some people aren't used to them.  Geez.  Adventure and progress . . . so intimidating for some people.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

I bought 2 of everything. Every time a guest checks out it will be replaced. Saves on my time and effort (and electricity cost) too since I can then wash in the off-hours and then air-dry on the line the next morning.  The quilt and coverlet are to be washed every evening after ever visitor in the evening, the sheets are washed in the morning after I remove them. Why this way? The sheets are more likely to take longer as I use the "sanitze cycle" on them (1hr 35 min) and then they can dry in the afternoon sun. The quilt and coverlet can use the "bedding cycle" that (afternoon or evening) and dry the next morning before I need to put them back on the bed.

As for your question re: the flat sheet. I don't know! Speaking as a guest at hotels; I've been taught that one uses the flat sheet all the time over you to protect from "unclean bedspreads" (ie: sleeping between sheets protects you from critters and germs in the bedspreads that are almost never washed between guests at cheaper hotels. BUT some people think 2 layers of sheets protect from critters in the mattresses... 

You can't please everyone. Honestly? Don't worry about the wear and tear on the duvet or quilt. My answer? You are gonna think I am crazy, but my real answer? Invest in a larger washer. It is worth it's weight in gold. I got a 4.5 cu/ft and it can wash sheets, quilts, coverlet and shams in a single "bedding cycle" (if I wanted to wash in one cycle) ... and it's amazing on power. We've saved 1/4 the cost of the washer on power alone - in less than a YEAR! (We got the WM5000HVA in white WITH the sidekick) This configuration allows us to watch the kitchen towels and smaller things when using the larger washer.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.57.10 AM.png

I use white sheets and white duvet on our 2 beds. The duvet comes off every time and is washed. I have thought about ditching the top sheet, one less item to wash and save a bit of time, but its not common like in Europe.

I agree with having at least 2 sets per bed and having a big washer/dryer, I replaced mine after the first month on Airbnb.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ron112

in Europe is common to have just a bottom sheet and a duvet INSIDE a duvet cover. You sleep in between. Simple to make a bed, simple to wash bc you wash just a duvet cover, not a duvet and hygenic bc guest is not directly in touch with a duvet.

We have another problem with American guests - they pull bottom sheet up and sleep under the bottom sheet and on the waterproof mattrass protector ah...

Yuck on your last comment. I think I have the makings of a Country and Western song with everybodies kind remarks!

Having no top sheet is a BAD idea! I don't care what the customs are. We just got back from a long Central European tour and were shocked that none of the Airbnb's offered a top sheet on the bed! The problem is - 1. there is NO air conditioning in most places 2. the duvet was too heavy and made us sweat . 3. we'd kick it off then wake up cold.  This cycle went on all night.

So, to ensure your guests have a bad night's sleep, don't provide a top sheet!

And, what is with the small personal sized duvets? I sleep with my husband and we want to be together, not rolled up in our own duvet that is too small to tuck under the end of the bed. This is a really stupid idea. - Sorry Europe!

If you need help making a proper bed for your guests, visit: https://www.marthastewart.com/269497/how-to-make-a-bed

Well it's just not what you are used to :). I myself feel very weird without a duvet even if it's hot...

We have had guests from all corners of the world and never got any complaints regarding the duvet. That being said... You know it's possible to simply remove the duvet from the cover and just use the cover. Or alternatively we'd also be happy to give guests a summer blanket it they asked.

It is extremely traditional in central Europe: Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, etc. to have two full size duvets inside covers with no top sheet. My partner is Austrian, and we absolutely love having two duvets on our bed. No fighting over duvet space, or being woken up if he shifts and pulls it off me. Better sleeps, better mornings! 🙂

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I say as @Branka-and-Silvia0

Europeans only sleep with one sheet on the bed/mattress and then a duvet inside a cover. A sheet as a duvet in warmer countries during summer season. As a frequent hotell traveller I have learnt that the bedspreads/quilts are not cleaned between guests. And to be honest: it grosses me out when I see quilts on top of clean sheets. Because I never know if they are clean. So I use as little as I can of two fingers as tweezers and lift the quilt of and faaaaar away from the bed. 😄 I also never use the blankets from the cabinettes in hotells or resorts because they are supposed to being used together with a sheet. I never trust that I fold it correctly to not get in contact with the blanket, so I bring wool night-clothes to wear when sleeping if I know it might get cold at night and sheets are my only cover.

I still have not had guests that pull the sheet off the mattress, I have sheet with elastics though that people see are not regular sheets. I however know about the cultural difference and had a group of guests where the parents had to teach the child that there was nothing missing from my bed that didn't have two sheets or a bedspread 🙂

Mariann 🙂

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

As the majority of my guests are American, I use a two sheet system AND the duvet in a cover on my guest bed. A few international guests have slept on top of the flat sheet. 

In our family we don't use top sheets, only bottom with duvet in cover. Strongly prefer it, but I'm not going to push it on my guests.