Linen cleaning hacks | things I wish I knew before

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Linen cleaning hacks | things I wish I knew before

Hello fellow hosts,

Hope you are well. After hosting remotely for almost a year now it has become apparent that guests are less conscientious when they stay in private places or at least ones where they have complete independence. Some have become messy and staining our linens, towels etc.

So, below I have listed the main culprits and if any of you know a life/cleaning hack as to get rid of these I would love it if you could comment below:

-bodily fluids (vomit, feaces, urine, blood and sweat)

-red wine/white wine 

-tea

-coffee

-chocolate 

-fruits (specifically berries and tomatoes)

-fake tan 

-make up 

- hair dye 

-pen 

- dirt 

-odors (weed, cigarettes, food, etc)

Asking as would really appreciate any tips and I am guessing others also would?! 

Either way, thank you for reading and any help you may provide! 

Yadira ๐Ÿ™‚

38 Replies 38
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Yadira22 I don't really have any specific tips for any of those things, but the first line of attack for anything, in my experience, is to ASAP put it to soak in cold water. This will at least prevent a stain from "setting" like it would if you washed it in hot water first. 

For blood stains, just the cold water soak alone. with a little rubbing, will often get the blood out if it hasn't had a chance to dry. If the item is white, you can pour hydrogen peroxide directly on blood stains- that usually does the trick.

As far as the rest, I'm a terrible laundress, although I actually like washing, hanging and folding laundry- I can never understand how people keep their white clothes so pristinely white- I certainly can't ๐Ÿ™‚

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Yadira22 @Sarah977  is right - the first step is the cold water soak.  Then spray every stain with Oxy Clean.  When you put everything in the washer, put in the detergent you use along with a full scoop of Oxy Clean powder.  

The only problem is that I don't know whether Oxy Clean is available outside the US!

@Ann72 It is! We do have Oxy Action in Europe ๐Ÿ™‚ I use it ๐Ÿ™‚ 

@Ann72  It's available in Mexico.

And I don't know what causes this stain, but everyone I know here has had this stain problem and it doesn't relate to guests- there is something here that leaves small rust-colored stains on fabrics that nothing will remove. They look like blood stains, but they aren't. Some people think it's gecko pee, some think it's some kind of bug juice, but no one has found anything that will get them out. I can't tell you how many of my otherwise decent clothes have ended up in my work clothes drawer because of it. Quite frustrating.

@Yadira22     

@Sarah977    It could be sunscreen I had that problem:

Blurb from internet:  " Some sunscreens contain avobenzone, when it comes in contact with iron a chemical reaction occurs that creates stains that are, in effect, rust stains. The iron can be in the water supply, see hard water."    Apparently chlorine and oxygenated bleaches make the stains worse. I was advised to use a rust remover - Stain Devils #9 : Rust & Perspiration  or a Rustoleum product for clothes, it works quite well.

@Ange2  Reasonable guess, but these stains are on my clothes and I've never used sunscreen in my life. And they are just small, random spots, like about the size of a pencil eraser. But I'll try those products you suggest, although I'm likely have to wait until next summer when I go to Canada to find them. Never seen them here.

I have Chlorox cleaner with bleach that I use to sanitize the bathroom. Is remarkably good about getting those UFO spots out of white sheets. I just spray some on the spot and let it sit a minute before throwing the item in the wash. Also does a good job on my white outer shower curtains. But it will bleach out anything with color (once I dripped some on the bathroom rug - so watch out).

Might want to test on something first. I got lucky and found hotel grade linens that wear like iron so this does the trick on them.Chlorox with bleach.jpeg

Thank you @Christine615 and I love the reference โ€œUFO Spotsโ€ ๐Ÿ˜‚. Have a beautiful rest of day:)

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Enzyme cleaner

Brandy53
Level 2
Golden, Canada

I use dawn dish soap and scrub out the stain with an old toothbrush. Then I spray with a laundry stain remover and wash normally. Works pretty much everytime for almost everything. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Ever since I bought higher quality white towels, all of the makeup stains I have encountered have come right off with a little Oxyclean or bleach. It was when I had cheep towels that the black mascara would set in or a little beach would look yellow. 

Also, I started using dryer sheets at the recommendation of a guest (I've never ever used them before.) I started to notice grease spots in strange places on the sheets. Every once on awhile, but I couldn't get them off and lost a lot of sheets because of it. I did some research and suspected the dryer sheets. Since I've stopped using them I haven't noticed the grease-like spots since. 

Hi. Instead of using the drier  sheets I pour a cap full of the scented beads (like unstoppables) into two sport socks and tie a knot in them. I put them in the drier and they last for months. 

M161
Level 1
Weehawken, NJ

First things first, water actually sets ALL stains!  

Clear DAWN is the BEST!  Pour it right on any stain and rub the fabric together.  Every fabric is different with it's gentleness.  You may need to use a Q-tip to rub the DAWN in or an old tooth brush?  I buy it in bull and always use OXY CLEAN & BLEACH with all the white linens.  

Davida7
Level 2
Hazard, KY

I suggest putting make-up remover toilettes in your bathrooms. I have noticed that many nice hotels offer them and if they are available guests will most likely use them.