Linen cleaning hacks | things I wish I knew before

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Linen cleaning hacks | things I wish I knew before

Hello fellow hosts,

Hope you are well. After hosting remotely for almost a year now it has become apparent that guests are less conscientious when they stay in private places or at least ones where they have complete independence. Some have become messy and staining our linens, towels etc.

So, below I have listed the main culprits and if any of you know a life/cleaning hack as to get rid of these I would love it if you could comment below:

-bodily fluids (vomit, feaces, urine, blood and sweat)

-red wine/white wine 

-tea

-coffee

-chocolate 

-fruits (specifically berries and tomatoes)

-fake tan 

-make up 

- hair dye 

-pen 

- dirt 

-odors (weed, cigarettes, food, etc)

Asking as would really appreciate any tips and I am guessing others also would?! 

Either way, thank you for reading and any help you may provide! 

Yadira 🙂

38 Replies 38

Hi @Davida7 . Yes this is a great idea and I resorted to this a year ago. “BUT you can lead a horse to water, but can’t make them drink”. 

I stock the baths with white  towels and black face towels.   So far so good, on no stains on white towels.

Veda3
Level 2
Aurora, MN

Some hotels put out black washcloths for makeup removal.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Veda3 we also provide guests with these but they often do not use these and once again I am worried that  to provide a makeup remover lotion etc, as @Davida7 suggested, as I have very sensitive skin myself I am so conscious of this being a possibility for my guests. Once I had such a bad reaction that someone was really worried for me thinking my partner or whoever  hurt me when in fact this was no where near the reality.  Either way thank you both! 🙂

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Veda3 @Davida7 @M161 @Sarah977 @Emilia42  et all for your suggestions (would tag you all but the site on my phone is acting up 😭)! 

Regarding the enzyme cleaners and all we normally use these but usually they make me come out in rashes so would hate to have a similar reaction with one of my guests. Personally wanted more eco friendly options as these harsher products have components which are bad for sea life, etc but they surely do work! Either way thank you, thank you, thank you for all your advice. 

I hope this thread would be of use to MANY!! Have a beautiful day ❤️

@Yadira22   For eco-friendly options,   here's an article on how to make your own enzyme cleaner, it does demand an investment of time and patience.  I have tried it and it works well.  https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Enzyme-Cleaner 

Hi Yadira,

Coldwater does remove fresh blood but 25% shampoo solution sprayed on stains before washing will removed many stains as it contains an anti-macassar. 

Vicky296
Level 1
Cookeville, TN

Hi to get smells out of bedding I use 1 cup of vinegar and this also helps set the colors so they last longer and brighter.

I usually can get all stains out with spray and wash and baking soda. ( I rub it in and let it sit a few hr. before washing 

good luck

have lots of grand babies that spit up

Hi Sarah977 & group,

I've had great laundry success with "Carbona Stain Devils" products. There are a variety of choices to choose from according to the type of stain you wish to fight. For example, blood, coffee/tea/wine, makeup/markers, and even rust!

I can find them at my local grocer, or on line at amazon. My laundry room ALWAYS has these on hand. It's come to the rescue many times. 

Good luck in the laundry room all!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Les-and-Carol0  @Vicky296  @Les-and-Carol0 @Marg11 @Christine615 @Sarah977 @Ann72 @Emilia42  @Pete69  @Brandy53 

@Yadira22 Thanks for the laundry thread, we can never learn too much about  saving time and $ linen.

As a couple of preventative strategies:

1.     I do leave makeup remover wipes in situ in myspace, “BUT you can lead a horse to water, but can’t make them drink”. ... or rub their faces for them.......... LOL 

2.     I also place a couple of sanitary napkins (thin adhesive - but super) in the bathroom cabinet and one with the first aid kit, that will give protection if a person is caught out late at night. 

There they are - front and centre of a the bathroom cabinet, and I also provide a dark towel, hand towel and face washer, separate from the plush white towel and face washer per person.... but amazingly, that large white towel (not even the white face washer) seems to attract the heavy foundation users. Accidents happen, but some guests are quite clueless.... 

Pre wash spray, elbow grease, oxygen booster, Sard soap and time generally work. If I still have issues, then some chlorine on top of the previous list oxygenates the stain.

But cold water, persistence with soaking and time are also my friends.

Not to mention plenty of linen spares to avoid the stress......

Karen1919
Level 2
Fort Atkinson, WI

I put baby wipes inbathroom for make up. Most dont use, but there. 

Makeup is my main  towel  ruiner. If I catch on towrls I put my laundry soap (tide) directly on it and work in witha  brush. Works great. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Nice topic @Yadira22! I'm struggling with finding a way on how to remove grease from a white painted wall in my kitchen if anyone has any good tips, please fire away! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Quincy  Maybe try scrubbing it with some warm dish washing liquid and some hot water or steam it. Once it’s less solidified it’s easier to wipe off! 🙂

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I was thinking of trying dishwashing liquid but I was afraid of wiping off the paint! 😞

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy I'm not sure they'll work on grease, but they remove most marks from walls:  Mr. Clean Magic Erasers.