List 5 of the main lessons you have learned as a Superhost

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

List 5 of the main lessons you have learned as a Superhost

Superhost.jpg

Hello there,

We all know how much work and dedication it takes to become an Airbnb Superhost. You might have had quite an interesting journey and may have been different from what you expected.

Among all the new things you have learned on this journey, can you think of the 5 things you have learned as a Superhost? Would you like to share this quick list with us?

Thanks!

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

32 Replies 32
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

1) treat guests they way you would want to be treated while staying in a 5 star hotel.  Matching towels, candy on the pillow, fresh flowers, free coffee, etc. 

2) clean clean clean!  The place must be spotless.  Not so much as a single hair in the sink.  Dust, mop, wipe down every surface every time.  Nothing worse for a guest than the feeling that the space is not clean.  If the sink has soap scum or the bathroom mirror has tooth paste splatter, they will feel that the entire place is dirty.  

3) Communicate.  Contact them right after they check in to see if they need anything and at least once during their stay and then again after they leave thanking them.

4) Be VERY clear in your listing and photos so they know exactly what they are getting.  And don't over sell.  It's better to under promise and over deliver.  The space needs to be better then they thought it would be.

5) You should frequently monitor what others are doing in your area, make sure you are competitive but not the cheapest either.  You never want to be the cheapest because you will attract lower quality guests.  But you don't want to be the highest priced either as guests will expect a LOT more for the few extra dollars and most likely be dissapointed.  

6) bonus response....always be positive!  enjoy what you do and it will directly reflect on your guests experience.

1- The Superhost does not have SuperPower to charge more than someone that are not Superhost.
2- Superhost must be emontionally intelligent.
3- It is not you who will find the Superhost badge! It is the badge that will find you! If you are a good host, the badge will find you!
4- It is easer to be a SuperHost than being an ordinary Host.
5- Superhost must develop a sensor to identify a guest or potential guest that carries Kryptonite with it. It is very, very rare, but they exist.

KRYPTONITE stands for:
K - Keen to criticize everything
R - Red flag
Y - Yellow flag
P - Pain in the neck type of guest
T - Time-consuming guest - Very demanding and dificult to deal with.
O - Obsessive about getting discounts and lowering a price that is fair  
N - Never satisfied
I - Ignorant and confused - Sometimes they are not bad guests, they just need a bit more help and patience indeed.
T - Troublemaker
E - Eccentric - The one who want you to change the listing to suit its liking or its eccentric needs. There are some  examples of this type of guests in some topics in this community.

@Ned-And-Laura0

I do not know why on earth it appear that I am answering your post! Sorry! 

I was just posting answering the original poster.

@J-Renato0  Ha ha, no worries, I figured it was a mistake : )

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is so useful @Ned-And-Laura0!

Thanks for sharing :-). 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

1. Be available
  2. Be cheerful 
  3. Be clear and accurate
  4. Be a guest sometimes, if you can
  5. Clean like my Aunt Norma 

I would just put your aunt Norma in a first place 🙂

Rest I totaly agree with !

So true!!!

Because all what you said worked for me :))

Thanks for sharing.

Ria16
Level 10
Northland, New Zealand

@Quincy0 

1. Be accepting and enjoy.

2. Be prepared with a back up plan Have spares of the little things like light bulbs and say hi to your nearest matching for price host.  One did contact me for help recently .

3. Emergency maintenance phone list because who knows?

4. Little things are nice like wild flowers and chocolate bars 

5. As you evolve and become comfortable be prepared to change stuff  around photos, update wording, decor ( makes note to self to take new garden photos as plants  have grown over the year)

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

1. Welcome them with a smile and try to wow them from the entrance, they should feel comfortable even on the way to their room ( a house that smells good is always a plus, almost every single guest mentions that they love the scent I use and I make sure to use the same one so that when they enter the house tired of their day they feel at home with a smell they know )

2. Always answer as soon as possible, I have my phone with me at all times, they appreciate fast responces

3. Celaniness is what matters the most. The place must be always up to the same high standard of cleaniness, and the sheets and towels must be updated before they are completely worn down.

4. Flexibility, guests apreciate if a host if flexible to their needs ( of course as much as the life of the host allows them to be )

5. Little extras like a bottle of wine or chocolate ( and it is best if they are not mentioned in the description, like a small surprise )

There is nothing better than being in an unfamiliar place and having somewhere warm, clean, cozy and safe to go to in the evening, that is the feeling I want for my guests when they visit my home 🙂

Hi Ana,

Great comments.  Could you share the name of the scent you use?  Also, what form does it take (spray, bar, liquid, melted or solid, etc.) ?

Thanks.

Doug

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

Douglas it is called Bis by Ornel and it is a spray, it lasts longer than any other air freshner I have tried.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

#1 All guests are NOT created equal.  By that I mean some will want to interact with the host.  They may want to chat and get to know you as a person and perhaps share a meal or a glass of wine.  Others just want to grab the key and get on with their planned activities.  As a host, you need to be able to read your guest and act accordingly.

#2 Be availabe at all times, either by text or in person.  It a problem occurs, get it remedied ASAP.  Be proactive, no reactive.  Check in with your guests each and every day. 

#3 Give a little extra.  That may be fresh flowers, a bottle of wine or chocolates.  If the guests are celebrating a special occasion, go the extra mile and provide an unexpected treat. 

#4 Be a responsible host to your guests and also to your neighbors.  Nobody wants to live next door to a frat house.  Make sure your guests understand and observe your house rules. 

#5 If at all possible, meet and greet your guests in person at check-in.   I believe the bulk of the problems hosts report on the CC could be avoided if, as the host, you are hands on when it comes to your property.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

#1 is really true! That is what I still leaning even pass more than 100 guests.