Listing disappearing from search results, was working fine last week

Yasmine57
Level 2
Oban, United Kingdom

Listing disappearing from search results, was working fine last week

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone has any advice.

I listed 2 properties about 3weeks, it has been going really well, rooms were booked almost constantly when I made them available. It was so busy, that I reached superhost status within 2 weeks! The listing showed, most of the times at least, but it always solved itselves within an hour.

Then, something must have changed in the search. No requests or bookings at all for 1 week and the listing does not appear in the search results. Only if the map gets moved over.

The problem is, I believe to have figured, that search results are not given for the whole town, but only for a really small part of the town - the initial search map is really zoomed in, rather than showing the whole town. We are a 5min walk! from the town centre, so not exactly off grid 🙂 It means, people e.g. only get 20 results, when there are actually 50.

I've tried to address this with support, but no success!

Any suggestions? I had a look at other towns to compare and the "zoom in" seems good and often even shows other smaller towns nearby.

So I don't know how to address that the "town zoom" is wrong. And why has it changed in the first place?

4 Replies 4

@Yasmine57  New listings get a temporary boost in the search results that expires after some weeks. It's normal to experience some kind of drop-off after this point.

Not sure what's going on with a map, but my map view always displays differently when I search by a city name. It may zoom out more when I add search filters, depending on the density of listings.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I wouldn't mind some change, but from nearly a 100% full to 0% and no enquiries is a bit odd. And as a mentioned, the lisings don't come up on the search results at all, hence people won't find it (there are only 20-30 listings coming up anyway, so it's not that it's a big long list).

Clay29
Level 3
Houston, TX

I am facing a similar problem as you where I don't appear in neighborhood search results so I looked at yours to see if I could figure out what might be going on. The good news for you is I found both your listings easily. There are a lot of ways to search. To limit the scope, I used "The Neighborhood" section from your listing's pages that reads "Yasmine’s place is located in Oban, Argyll and Bute, United Kingdom.". 'Oban', 'Argyll and Bute', and the UK are separate location links . I checked the first two links for each.

On those pages, I chose "Where to Stay" instead of  "Stay with a Super Host"  and from the next page to further limit the scope, I did filter by "private room" but not by Super host. Both of you listings on came up around the 10th position on all four links, which to me is not bad because almost everyone who is really looking will make it that far. Your rooms are very clean and elegant and your location is incredible so I am sure you will continue to do well with them.

Thanks Clay, for checking.

That's weird really as it won't come up at all when I search or I asked someone else to search. Wonder if it's browser dependant.