Listing explicitly says no smoking, yet I have guests smoking in the rooms

Obinna0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Listing explicitly says no smoking, yet I have guests smoking in the rooms

Any other hosts having similar Issues with guests smoking in the house. and if so, how do you deal? I now plan to start asking guests before arrival if they plan to smoke in the house so I can cancel them. Airbnb can penalize all they want at this point.

26 Replies 26

@Katrina79 so true. the guests having been smoking 3 days straight now, very annoying 

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Thumbs up to the air purifier, @Katrina79 .

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

we allow smoking in the apartment. We provide ashtrays (it's better if they use them than plates) and just ask them to open the windows more frequently. After 3,5 years of hosting I can tell that smokers will vent the place by opening the windows more often so they don't leave any smell behind. But non-smoker guests keep all windows shut all the time so they leave all other smells - smelly feet, cooking, toilet, sweat .... and often high humidity,. So I am surprised how many posts I've seen about the smoke smell but almost none about all the other disgusting smells.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  Europeans are much more accepting of smoking than Americans and Canadians, where you are considered a leper if you smoke. 

I'm always amazed at hosts who state that no smoking is allowed anywhere on the property, even if they have a big yard where they could set up an outdoor smoking area.

@Sarah977  exactly 😄

it is extremely cold here right now

@Sarah977 I designate smoking outside in my listing

@Obinna0  I wasn't speaking to your specific rules or smoking arrangements, I didn't read your listing description.

That's smart that you do provide an outdoor smoking area and I'm sorry you had such rude guests who didn't respect that. 

I imagine this happens more if it's cold out, as these bad guests obviously think their smoking comfortably takes precedence over 

respecting your home even if it means they have to smoke outside and be cold.

I'm a smoker myself and have huddled outside in the cold many a time to engage in my stupid habit, as I would never smoke in someone else's home unless they indicated it didn't bother them.

Obinna0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

thank you all for your kind, thoughtful generous feedbacks I will be implementing each of the ideas suggested. what I've noticed it is mostly locals that are breaking this rule, other guests go to designated areas on the property to smoke. its unfortunate I now have to scrutinize the locals before they book my place. 

Lisa-Marie22
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi,  smoking is a huge problem in my airbnb.   I tell them prior to booking, it's listed in my rules with airbnb, I also have them sign a rental agreement that states that they will lose the full deposit, they don't care.  They also know airbnb won't do a thing about it, so no skin off their back.  A bad review?  They just build another profile with a new email address.  What really boils my blood is smoking is not allowed anywhere really and if you smoke in a hotel room or car rental expect to pay $250-$500.  This is the only way people learn.  I've had people smoke weed, cigars which set off the fire alarms, smoked next to beds, the smell doesn't leave for a week and my next guest is subject to the smell.  I do believe Airbnb is so far behind the ball on this, I've talked and complained and the customer service in India are scripted to say sorry but in all owner's opinion,  SMOKING IS DAMAGE.  The customer service people love to close out tickets fast as well, they don't really care about any damage just closing out the ticket so the numbers look good to their boss.  I live in Atlanta and we are having all these people come to ATL to party because we are open as a state,  I went from 10 occupancy in my listing to max 4 now because of the party scene.  I've put $100.00 extra person fee over 4 to ward off these events, we will see what happens.  Last renter said 6 had 12, smoked in my house and parked on my lawn when it rained all weekend and caused 450 in lawn damage.  The quality of the renters has been poor this year, it's all groups wanting to party.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Obinna0 ,

France is one of highest proportion of smokers in the European country, 36%.

After Greece and Bulgaria.

In my listings are non smoking.

Yet, being flexible for the smokers guest in the cold weather, we do allowed the addict smoker smoking in the terrace, or in kitchen with open up the kitchen windows. 

It’s always give a guest an inch and they’ll take a mile, make me regret doing the first flavor.

Guest smoking hashish and getting stoner in home, that make me really upset.

Penny409
Level 1
Grenville, SD

Does anyone use, or know of, any type of electronic sensor to detect cigarette and/or cannabis smoke? In spite of no smoking policy and notifying guests prior to arrival and in our guest guide of no smoking of any kind in the rental, a real-time notification of any kind of smoking would be proof if needed for claim of damages. I've researched the Internet, though having difficulty finding devices that seem accurate enough, so decided to ask the community here. Thanks!