Listing feedback

Rachel1057
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Listing feedback

Hello Experienced Hosts!

I'm a rookie and have just posted a listing for the first time in Edinburgh. I wonder if anyone would mind looking over it and giving me some critique ? I would really value your input 🙂

Many thanks, Rachel 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/36543737?guests=1&adults=1&s=23&user_id=99081495&ref_device_id=ede15537...

4 Replies 4
Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute @Rachel1057

You have a so beautiful apartment. But as you are a new host, you could see these links , if it is possible for you :  

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Tips-Summary/m-p/1082443#M228787   

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/How-to-Host-Lessons-from-a-Private-Room-Pro/td-p/...

Thanks,

Miloud

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel1057 

Feedback being the breakfast of champions...forgive my brutality; no offence intended. 

Photos, great. A very boho, boutique-style hotel vibe.

'vibrant historic' a bit superfluous (people aren't picking your area at random) and word-count could be better utilised. Use apartment if you target a non-UK market. 

Ampersands; work of the devil. Fish & Chips and suchlike, yes, lazy writing, no. 
Space out your paragraphs/points for better readability, and write numbers under ten in full. 

Too detailed ref bedrooms. There's a 'sleeping arrangements' section, so you're wasting space. Add a little detail to photo 
descriptions. Less is more.

>>Note that although there is a TV it is not connected so there is no access to terrestrial/freeview/cable TV channels. However, it could be used to watch programmes via your laptop (connecting cable provided). There is also a DVD player.<<

Ditch this useless bit of kit, or fix it.

>>Kitchen:
Small sunny breakfast area seating two and overlooking rear gardens. Gas oven, electric hob, microwave, washing machine and good sized fridge freezer. Well –equipped with utensils, cookware, bakeware and electrical appliances inc food processor. Iron, ironing board and clothes airer supplied.<<

Or, 'Fully-equipped kitchen'.

>>Reliable wireless internet with good signal strength in all rooms.<<

Superfluous.

>>A cautionary note:
There is a street light directly outside the window of bedroom 2 which is not completely blocked out by the blind. If you are sensitive to light you may be more comfortable bringing an eye mask. Bedroom 1 whilst very dark, contains the boiler, the noise of which may disturb you if you are a very light sleeper. (Neither of these things bothers me but I don't want your sleep to be disturbed!)<<

Get a black-out blind for £20 from IKEA. Is a boiler really going to wake people?

>>Guests can use all parts of the flat with the exception of a store cupboard which will be locked.<<

Superfluous. It's locked.

>>I won't be able to welcome you in person as you arrive unfortunately, but will phone you during the course of your visit to check you have everything you need - and offer any local tips! Otherwise I'll leave you to enjoy your stay without intrusion but can be contacted by phone, text or the AirBNB messaging app as required<<

Or 'Self check in, host available via Airbnb (it isn't 'AirBNB') app.

Too much detail throughout makes it hard to read. Oh, and most don't.

Short, smart, and sweet (not kitch) is the name of the game.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachel1057 I like the way you have worded your description.  Yes, it is a bit verbose but so is mine.   You could take out the word "sunny" in the description of the eating area.  It is only sunny when the sun is shining and it doesn't shine all that much in Edinburgh - I know, I used to live there many years ago.  As you state that your place is not equipped for young children you might want to change your rules to exclude children under the age of 12.  I hope it goes well for you.

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

Hi @Rachel1057  Your apartment looks great.... Welcome to Hosting! 

I would definitely replace the blind in bedroom 2. Most people would not expect to wear an eye mask when sleeping. And how well your guest sleeps plays a big part on how much they enjoy their stay. 

As much as I love all your quirky, arty bits and pieces..... things do get broken or damaged. Just make sure that you don't leave anything of great significance to you, up to chance. I can just see many a tune played with that beautiful stringed instrument (cello????) that you have in your lounge room. 

Best of luck with your hosting! 

Cheers, Michelle 🙂