Listing on booking.com as well airbnb

Nuno107
Level 2
Portugal

Listing on booking.com as well airbnb

Hi I wonder what is your experiennce trying to list your place on other sites as well as airbnb, do you do it? If not why not. What is the management like when you have it on different sites. Did you see much difference in bookings? I’m trying to weigh pros and cons. 

Maybe there are different sites to booking.com that you prefer use alongside airbnb?

many thanks 

18 Replies 18
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Nuno107 I'd say that there is no harm in trying other booking sites and see how you do.

Personally, I'm also set up on Home Away and the associated sites like VRBO, Canada Stays, etc. as well as Booking.com. I find that 99% of my bookings come through Airbnb. However, my cousin, who is in the same market as me, only gets about 10% of his bookings through Airbnb. I'm not sure what the difference is, but again, it might be worth trying something new and seeing how you do. 

Thank you very much 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Booking.com has been a pain for me, but for now a pain worth listed on. You have to collect your own payments.  They create your description so you can not include any details I normally would like my guests to know. A lot of their reservations are fraud. It is a lot more work. 

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Inna22@Nuno107

I have just joined Booking.com and so far it has been positive, filling in empty days left by AirBnB.

Ref to Payments, I have booking.com collect from guests and they pay me once a month less commission. The only problem is that they will not collect a deposit on your behalf, you have to do this yourself.

On thing I have found is that guests are reluctant to give an ETA for check-in, dispite  sending emails am still here waiting for a guest to arrive sometime during my 5.00hr check-in window.

There is only so much cleaning to be done before gets tedious

@Inna22 do you know if booking.com has any liability protection like Airbnb's 1 mm protection? It sounds like I CAN have people pay them directly, then Booking.com can pay me, which I'm fine with... I CAN charge a cleaning fee also, to clarify? Seems like a decent option , "why not" try situation but definitely seems like LESS control by a lot than Airbnb...also I never charge a security deposit on Airbnb/VRBO though wonder if I should with booking.com?

@Caleb103 you have a lot of valid questions and a lot has changed since I made these comments- it has been a year and a half. You should do some research and see if it is right for you. I am not able to devote the amount of time that would be needed to give you a thoughtful answer to all these

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I have not heard of booking collect. I guess I should call and ask. I could not find it anywhere on extranet

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Inna22

Its in the top navigation bar at right

Finance > Getting paid

@Chris232 do you know if booking.com has any liability protection like Airbnb's 1 mm protection? It sounds like I CAN have people pay them directly, then Booking.com can pay me, which I'm fine with... I CAN charge a cleaning fee also, to clarify? Seems like a decent option , "why not" try situation but definitely seems like LESS control by a lot than Airbnb...also I never charge a security deposit on Airbnb/VRBO though wonder if I should with booking.com?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Until now I have preferred Airbnb because of its automatic co-host payment. No more. I'm now listing on Homeaway, Booking.com, TripAdvisor, and Innclusive as well. It's work getting the listings set up consistently, and it is critical to keep all calendars sync'ed, but I figure the more presence I have out there, the better.

@Inna22 Booking.com collects for me as well, as do all the other sites.

Booking.com charges a hefty 15% commission, but nothing to guests, so my prices are 15% higher there.

I am surprised to hear that Booking.com collects from the guests.. I'll have to re- look into it, I closed my calendar in booking.com, because of all the last min bookings that were hard to collect the money from the guests, who don't use pay pal.  If you read booking.com's guidelines carefully, you will see that they can "dock you" if your prices are lower on other sites.  However my prices on AIRBB are higher because they don't have a catagory for State & Local hospitality taxes, which I have to include in the rates... thats is a negative for me, as my prices look higher than people in the onsite rental pool, who collect the taxes from the guests on check in ... the 15% is a hefty fee.. so I only used them for fill ins..(which is still better than AIRBNB's hey lower your prices 31% !? uh no...) VRBO HMY is number one go to, their program is simple, they pay you within 3 days of collecting from the guests, and they don't restrict you on cancellations and don't refund a guest "just cause" 

@Deb125 seems like booking.com is making a concerted effort to go head-to-head with Airbnb now.

I so appreciate you responding, and many thx for the info, I will check it out!