Listing suspended due to dropped ratings

Nelia2
Level 1
Daraga, Philippines

Listing suspended due to dropped ratings

Hi,  I am a newbie here in airbnb.  My property or listing is new and there are some improvements and amenities along the way.  I joined airbnb this year.  I already accepted 4 guests with an interval of 2 to 3 weeks.  I got good review on the 1st.  The 2nd was not bad after all, though he recommends some additional amenities and understand the limitation.  The 3rd was not bad also and they had a great experience and would like to come back and recommend to their friends.  Both the 2nd and 3rd had a good communication and their expection I guess were met and I acknowledged their recommendation and improve the amenities. The 4th gave me bad reviews that dropped my ratings and resulted to the suspension of my listing in airbnb.  I tried to reach her before the arrival date to give us her contact number to communicate.  On the date of check-in she even did an early check on the listings before her friends or company's arrival. Our staff oriented her on the room amenities, so she should know what to expect.  On the last day of their stay (3 hours before their check-out) there was a power outage that resulted to no electricity, no water supply and no wifi because no generator set installed at the time. She did not inform me what happen in an instant and only learn about it after they left, at least I could address the issue and make a resolution or perhaps provide something to ease their comfort or give refund if that would be enough.  She writes negative reviews saying that what we advertise is not real or far from reality. Because of this she gave me low ratings on the accuracy that resulted to the suspension of my listing.  

I follow airbnb's steps on how to improve the description of my listing.  I already edit my description, welcome message, bookings and what to do on an unexpected scenarios to delight the guests.  I also reply back to guest regarding their concerns.

Question:  How long will my listing is suspended?  How long will I wait for the next booking? How to make an appeal on the suspension? I believe it is not fair. 

I trust Airbnb and the community.  It's been very helpful on my listing and business as well.  The reviews I received from the guest give me confidence to continue with the business and provide me income.  I appreciate and learn as I go along.  Please help me due to some limitation.

Thank you

6 Replies 6
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Nelia2 :"How long will my listing is suspended?  How long will I wait for the next booking? How to make an appeal on the suspension? I believe it is not fair. "

You would have to call AirBnB directly to get the details of the punishment and improvement plan. This board is comprised of AirBnB hosts and guests and since suspension details are not publicly divulged, we have no basis to even take a guess.

If you believe that the suspension is not fair, perhaps a better response is to list your property elsewhere. Listing the property on less formal, more person-to-person orientated places might enable you to better manage guest expections so customers are not expecting things that you do not provide. 

Alexandra224
Level 6
Merida, Mexico

Oh no!!!,that's terrible!, now you made me rethink about my listing!, i fairly new.. a month or more and had 4 guests, in total, excellent reviews tho!, but now i'm afraid that if my booking doesnt' rent enough might be suspended?, do you think it happened because of that, or because the bad review the last guest gave you?

PS: reach out to Airbnb ASAP, i definitely hope you solve that.. otherwise, create again the property :S

Sanjay1
Level 1
New Delhi, India

The last three reviews of my listing are five star. And out of last 8 reviews 7 are five star. Further, my host data suggests that my five star review for this listing are 62% and overall ratings are 4.1. Still my listing has been suspended for 5 days.

I fail to understand how my listing could qualify for removal from search engine when my rating is 4.1 and my five star reviews are 62%.

This unfair and mechanical unlisting has caused a lot of worry and hardship for my future reservations. Although I have assured full honouring of the reservations, they are anxious. This gives bad name to air bnb community and I am pained being a loyal and proud air bnb community member.

Jean5272
Level 1
Long Beach, NY

I am suspended now. I am new too. I got a good review then a bad one because the beach was crowded and my place was old. I never said it was new nor do I have control  of the beach population!  So I felt terrible. And now Airbnb suspends me to really make me feel bad. 
I love my place. It’s my happy place aNd I wanted to share it. I stood on my head to make it perfect. I will finish my bookings. I had three cancellations already. And I will try vrbo. I heard they are a much better business than Airbnb 

@Jean5272  Sorry you got suspended. As your listing is not longer visible, I can't see how you described it, but the last 2 reviews seem to indicate that the description wasn't really accurate. I know this could have been a case of the guests simply not reading the listing info thoroughly, so not understanding exactly what they are booking and having unreasonable expectations. Which would you say was the case? Did you make it clear that this was a older trailer in a trailer park?

This is a rhetorical question. In the case of a bad review (outliers), why doesn't Airbnb pay local hosts with a proven track record to go over and verify before penalizing the host? They have enough assets in place. I think they need local teams to check out problems (and pay them). This would go a long way to eliminating problems.

My advice is not to build up what you have more than necessary. Show accurate photos so the guests booking know what they are getting and aren't surprised. There's a difference between a cabin and a trailer. And on a beach is 100 feet or less, not a mile away. "Gated community" implies something else. If it's a trailer park, be up front. And if it's a mile to the beach - that's especially difficult for families with kids or disabilities. But there is an audience for you. We've had hosts on the forum who have trailers in the woods or in the rear of their properties..

Think of your listing from your consumer's perspective. Rustic and quaint might smooth things a bit. But since you're suspended we can't see what is wrong.

Airbnb was outed in the media because of fakers (not you of course) boasting of luxury accommodations only for guests to arrive to a flop house with mattresses on the floor.