Listing suspended over false accusation

Answered!

Listing suspended over false accusation

Hi fellow hosts. I'd like to share my experience with other hosts and Superhosts. I had my listing suspended for 10 days over a false claim from one of our guests. They accused me of having security cameras and recording devices inside my apartment when, in fact, it's clearly stated in my listing that we have security cameras outside the house, and an Echo Dot for our guests' convenience to turn ON/OFF lights, adjust the temperature, etc. This has always been stated in the "House Manual" and "Things Guest Should Know" sections of my listing.
I tried to get in touch with Airbnb since the first day, almost every day, and was never able to talk to the agent assigned to my case. When I finally spoke with the (second) agent handling my case, after 10 days, telling him that Airbnb should have contacted me and talk to me first, before suspending my listing, he said that that is the Airbnb policy when they receive a claim of privacy violations. My listing wasn't visible for 10 days, and I lost bookings and earnings because of this. I, very highly, suggest Airbnb to change this policy and try to get in touch with the host, before suspending their listings for claims/accusations from a guest. We, hosts and Superhosts, are giving work and money to Airbnb every week, and we should get a "preferred line of communication" and respect, compared to an occasional guest who decides to accuse an honest host!

1 Best Answer

Hi Katerina, sorry you’re going through this! 
No, they reactivated it after I spoke with the supervisor in charge of my case and explaining the situation. 

View Best Answer in original post

75 Replies 75
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mirko116 I couldn't agree with you more. The concept of guilty until proven innocent is not quite how most jurisdictions work. Perhaps cost yourself lucky that they have allowed your listing again as proving you don't have something (internal cameras) is really quite difficult.

@Mirko116   Agree 100%, a separate line to call for hosts and especially superhosts is a great idea.  Customer support has improved recently but could still be better, and especially having a separate group to work with directly, who can understand and deal with the kinds of special cases like your issue.  Working with a person (not an algorithm) who can use more discretion depending on the situation would be a valuable improvement.  Loyalty and trust is a two way street right?  We are loyal to airbnb, they should be loyal and trusting to us.  

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Dave52 

Uhhh... Customer support has been in decline since at least last year. It's not getting better.

Superhost status and doesn't facilitate any greater attention other than a single line in the automated response, "thank you for being a superhost". That might make you feel better, but it carries no special status. 

In terms of loyalty and trust, at Airbnb (and everywhere else) it's definitely a one way street.

How long have you been hosting? You should know better by now. Really. D9nt be naive. 

@Elaine701   I've been hosting almost 5 years.  But I got on this cc only about a year ago when things slowed down due to covid.

Perhaps you misunderstand my post, I said loyalty and trust should be a two way street.  Of course there is always room for improvement.

A year ago and through most of the summer, wait times were "about an hour", or longer, when airbnb was slammed by the world-wide covid situation.  

Now hold times are "about 5 minutes".  Sometimes only a minute.  Yes I call this "getting better".  I'm calling from the US to a US number, I cannot comment about hold times around the world, perhaps it is much longer?

The assistance is pretty good, but it falls short in one-off situations like the one @Mirko116 describes, when discretion is needed.  This is why IMO airbnb needs a different contact number for hosts and superhosts and the reason for my post.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is already a system in place @Dave52 where SH get priority access to Airbnb's CS.

I agree. I am a brand new host and would appreciate cvommunication from air bnb on any problems prior to any actions.

Salahudin0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

@Mirko116 I am in the same situation as you now, airbnb have suspended my listing until further investigation. I am not on superhost yet because new to airbnb but 100% of my reviews showing good and positif.  one if my guest i didnt know what she complain to airbnb but  i receive emails from her before suspension about getting harrasment. Now airbnb give full refund to her and my lsiting is suspended. 

I too have fell victim to this AirBNB team that just suspend accounts without any due diligence; guilty until proven innocent and then the staff member goes away on their weekend moments after suspending me.

I am a super host with 4 properties and been active for 5 years.

A guest we took to the resolution centre and AirBNB paid out on because the guest caused damage and had additional guests they didn't pay for, then were allowed to falsely accuse us that we had illegal cameras; though our listing clearly shows that we have cameras, and we email the guest twice before checkin reminding them about the cameras;

https://twitter.com/icepicknz/status/1421993843742834688

We were suspended and they didn't even tell us what the reason was.  Terrible.  We ended deleting the listing and going with long term tenants (not Airbnb).  

It made us furious that they would unlist our unit without a reason, and as you say, guilty until proven innocent.  

I found out by a neighbor that another neighbor complained about noise on New Year's Eve...the whole neighborhood was loud on New Year!

How are hosts supposed to know there is an issue that needs to be addressed if abnb won't share the problem or complaint? This happened to me for a 24 suspension.  They shut down all reservations for two properties.  No clue what I did that alarmed the company.  Disturbing to say the least!

Same here! We’ve called at least 40x and keep being told we need to speak to a specialized team, but we don’t even know what the issue is or why we’re being penalized! Simply infuriating that this is how Airbnb is treating hosts. 

And of course they can’t give us contact info or any information on the specialized teams… so disappointing. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What problems are you encountering @Olivia891 

It's probably worth you starting your own thread if you are are looking for help? 

Good call!!! We had a guest throw a party at our property and reported it to Airbnb, who canceled her reservation. Now our calendar (as hosts) has been blocked for no reason!!!! It’s been 4 days, and they just told us it will be 7-14 days more. We don’t even know why we’re being penalized!! I will make another thread as well. This will lead to a loss up to $10k for us, as we have multiple listings. We are honestly so frustrated and honestly scared to know that our source have income has been blocked and nobody can even explain what’s going on or why. This has been an absolute nightmare