Listing suspended over false accusation

in
Orlando, FL
Level 2

Hi fellow hosts. I'd like to share my experience with other hosts and Superhosts. I had my listing suspended for 10 days over a false claim from one of our guests. They accused me of having security cameras and recording devices inside my apartment when, in fact, it's clearly stated in my listing that we have security cameras outside the house, and an Echo Dot for our guests' convenience to turn ON/OFF lights, adjust the temperature, etc. This has always been stated in the "House Manual" and "Things Guest Should Know" sections of my listing.
I tried to get in touch with Airbnb since the first day, almost every day, and was never able to talk to the agent assigned to my case. When I finally spoke with the (second) agent handling my case, after 10 days, telling him that Airbnb should have contacted me and talk to me first, before suspending my listing, he said that that is the Airbnb policy when they receive a claim of privacy violations. My listing wasn't visible for 10 days, and I lost bookings and earnings because of this. I, very highly, suggest Airbnb to change this policy and try to get in touch with the host, before suspending their listings for claims/accusations from a guest. We, hosts and Superhosts, are giving work and money to Airbnb every week, and we should get a "preferred line of communication" and respect, compared to an occasional guest who decides to accuse an honest host!

16 Replies

Re: Listing suspended over false accusation

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 10

@Mirko116 I couldn't agree with you more. The concept of guilty until proven innocent is not quite how most jurisdictions work. Perhaps cost yourself lucky that they have allowed your listing again as proving you don't have something (internal cameras) is really quite difficult.

Level 10

@Mirko116   Agree 100%, a separate line to call for hosts and especially superhosts is a great idea.  Customer support has improved recently but could still be better, and especially having a separate group to work with directly, who can understand and deal with the kinds of special cases like your issue.  Working with a person (not an algorithm) who can use more discretion depending on the situation would be a valuable improvement.  Loyalty and trust is a two way street right?  We are loyal to airbnb, they should be loyal and trusting to us.  

in
Balearic Islands, Spain
Level 10

@Dave52 

Uhhh... Customer support has been in decline since at least last year. It's not getting better.

Superhost status and doesn't facilitate any greater attention other than a single line in the automated response, "thank you for being a superhost". That might make you feel better, but it carries no special status. 

In terms of loyalty and trust, at Airbnb (and everywhere else) it's definitely a one way street.

How long have you been hosting? You should know better by now. Really. D9nt be naive. 

Level 10

@Elaine701   I've been hosting almost 5 years.  But I got on this cc only about a year ago when things slowed down due to covid.

Perhaps you misunderstand my post, I said loyalty and trust should be a two way street.  Of course there is always room for improvement.

A year ago and through most of the summer, wait times were "about an hour", or longer, when airbnb was slammed by the world-wide covid situation.  

Now hold times are "about 5 minutes".  Sometimes only a minute.  Yes I call this "getting better".  I'm calling from the US to a US number, I cannot comment about hold times around the world, perhaps it is much longer?

The assistance is pretty good, but it falls short in one-off situations like the one @Mirko116 describes, when discretion is needed.  This is why IMO airbnb needs a different contact number for hosts and superhosts and the reason for my post.

Level 2

I agree. I am a brand new host and would appreciate cvommunication from air bnb on any problems prior to any actions.

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 2

@Mirko116 I am in the same situation as you now, airbnb have suspended my listing until further investigation. I am not on superhost yet because new to airbnb but 100% of my reviews showing good and positif.  one if my guest i didnt know what she complain to airbnb but  i receive emails from her before suspension about getting harrasment. Now airbnb give full refund to her and my lsiting is suspended. 

in
Auckland, New Zealand
Level 5

I too have fell victim to this AirBNB team that just suspend accounts without any due diligence; guilty until proven innocent and then the staff member goes away on their weekend moments after suspending me.

I am a super host with 4 properties and been active for 5 years.

A guest we took to the resolution centre and AirBNB paid out on because the guest caused damage and had additional guests they didn't pay for, then were allowed to falsely accuse us that we had illegal cameras; though our listing clearly shows that we have cameras, and we email the guest twice before checkin reminding them about the cameras;

https://twitter.com/icepicknz/status/1421993843742834688

Level 2

It happened to us 2 days ago!

The guest booked and checked in last minute, and just assumed that we had cameras inside the apartment and she canceled before we were able to respond. And the message I sent after made her think there was (I take the blame for that)

I understand that happened to her getting harrassed and all before and she was just cautious.

We even contacted her about reassuring her that there weren't any cameras, it was a misunderstanding that the message was I assumed that there were cameras installed not inside but outside and my boss wasn't able to inform me ahead that he installed cameras (Again, I take the blame for that), and even offered a discount but she doesn't want to. Either way, she would probably still report the listing.

Now the property is now unlisted because of that unfortunate event.

I was surprised that AirBnb would just unlist the property without calling the host and inform him about the report not asking what happened to clarify things.
WE HAD TO CALL SUPPORT FIRST TO FIND OUT SOMEONE FILED A REPORT! Where's the due diligence before unlisting the property without letting the host not knowing about it. It's one-sided really!!

in
London, United Kingdom
Level 2

This has just happened to us too. Our listing has been suspended as a result of unfounded accusations that we entered the guest's bedroom and "violated her human rights while she slept from day one" (she stayed for 16 nights).

We are a gay married couple, and we genuinely don't know why she would make up such a serious allegation when our What'sApp conversations would prove that we were amicable and professional and that she checked out on good terms.

Air BnB aren't getting back to me when I try to reach out to them and this guest's accusation could potentially harm my and my husband's professional reputation as we are healthcare professionals with a predominant female patients and clientele in our line of work.

@Quincy @Stephanie this is a very serious accusation and we need to have our name cleared please. We might have to consider legal action against the guest or delete our listing and account if it comes to that. Any advice please would be most appreciated?

in
Sarasota, FL
Level 3

The same thing happened to me, I had a security camera in the parking lot, for the security of the guests, a guest said that I  had cameras and Airbnb suspended my account, they never asked me anything about it so  I had to remove it, can you believe that?

the truth was the guest wanted to leave early(2, 3 days) and  he find out that way to get the refund for those days

in
England, United Kingdom
Level 1

Hello how long is your suspension?

in
Orlando, FL
Level 2

Sorry, I thought you were asking about my suspension, which was 10 days. 

in
Bethesda, MD
Level 1

@Mirko116 @Kary141 @Fernando1561 @Fabien150 @Camille609 I honestly am questioning my decision to even be in business with a company who allows an account to be suspended without notifying the host first. A pool at one of my places is just about complete. There was a miscommunication and my contractor accidentally sent workers to the place while guests were there who I immediately demanded be sent home as soon as I found out.  The guest contacted Airbnb citing a privacy concerns and all of my listings are suspended. I looked the guest Warren Lotas up and he was ordered a cease and desist for selling fake Nike shoes. Unbelievable Airbnb is willing to suspend a superhost’s 5 listings because of a complaint by a con artist that workers accidentally showed up while he was there. 

in
Orlando, FL
Level 2

Wow, that’s f***ed up! Airbnb either needs to change their policy on this matter of suspending Superhosts’ accounts without notifying, or checking their side of the story first, or they need to change some employees!

Sorry this happened to you!