Can I add a car to my listing?

Answered!
MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Can I add a car to my listing?

Dear Fellow Host.

I need some advice here. Some of my guests do not have transport while staying and I was thinking of adding a small car to my listing. But I do not want to ad it to my current listing as it stands. Am I allowed to create a second listing the same as my other and then all it Cottage & Car and run it as a different listing and separate price and calendar? I will make sure to keep my calender updated, but just want to check if this is within the Airbnb policy. Your advice will be highly appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Montay0
Level 2
Hampton, VA

If your car can list on Turo, list it there and offer the listing as an option to your guests subject to availability. Just like Airbnb, u can list the car on Turo, then block it so it’s always available to your guests. It’s separate from Airbnb and Turo has its own insurance options. Seems like a win/win. 

View Best Answer in original post

29 Replies 29
Dassi0
Level 5
Greensboro, NC

You may have to check local laws to see if you are allowed to rent a car — also your car insurance. 

If all that goes well, just make sure you link your calendars — then one booking will block the other. 

@MicheleandLouw0 - While you can create a listing that includes a "car", Airbnb will not cover you in any way for it should the guest damage the vehicle in some way.  You will be on the hook for any physical injury that they may endure should they get in an accident (including any injury to anyone else).  If the guest should steal it, Airbnb is not going to cover you with their Host Guarantee.  Your insurance company probably won't cover you either, so you should check before doing this.  

My suggestion would be to find the best possible low-cost options that guests can take advantage of while they are staying with you and let them find their own transportation.  You have Uber, Hello Cab, and car rental agencies (Avis, Hertz, Bidvest, Europcar) that guests can use.  Or send them to CarRentals.com from Expedia. This just sounds like a bad idea and one where some unscrupulous guest will sue you for everything you own because they get in a fender-bender.  Please make sure you talk to a lawyer before you start renting a car to total strangers who book a room with you.  

Also, My concern is, that if anything will go wrong with the car, the whole experience will be compromised, and it could damage your reviews for the Airbnb unit itself. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@MicheleandLouw0 If you are not using IB then you can certainly do it. It is a very nice idea but update your calender regularly and also make new photos of your listing and upload them in a different order.Good luck!!!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@MicheleandLouw0  Don't use the Air BNB platform for your car rental.  @Alice-and-Jeff0 are totally correct.  You might run the risk of having your listing pulled.  I recall seeing a new business venture in which private car owners can offer their car for rent somewhat like an Uber platform.  Perhaps that is available in your area.

[Advertising hidden in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

Thank you @Linda108 and @Alice-and-Jeff0No Uber in our area but I appreciate you input. We do have local taxies but guest have to walk up 600 meters to the main road. Guess that will just have to do then

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

I for sure wouldn't do this in the US. Maybe Botswana is different??

But as I recall when ABB books an RV or Boat or such, it must be stationary for the rental term, so not sure that ABB would be on board with the car rental component.

To your original question: two listings are completely fine so long as you manage the calendars well.

So, 2 listings - sure; rent a motor vehicle - don't think so.

@MicheleandLouw0 - I've been thinking.... (watch out!)..... You could have a separate company started for renting just the car and get the appropriate insurance and legal documents.  On your Airbnb listing you could note that you have an add-on service that the customer could pay for separately with a completed contract.  I believe you could ask for those funds to be paid for through the Resolution Center so you don't have to handle any cash.  This wouldn't be unlike charging a guest for the use of your water toys if you have a beachfront property (skee-do, jet ski, boat) or your land vehicles (ATVs, Motorbikes, Mopeds) or for your vacation items not included in the price per night (bicycles, hot tub use, meals).   I actually think there is a hybrid way of doing this so it's an add-on, but not in the price (or liability) of Airbnb' nightly rental.  This is probably very do-able! 

[Personal advertising hidden]

Any luck with this? I am trying to figure out how to do the same. @Alice-and-Jeff0 

yes thats what i was thinking 

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Whoops. Just noticed that this is an older post.