Listing with internet VS without internet

Listing with internet VS without internet

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had some statistics showing the benefits to propose internet in a listing?

For instance, is there any study showing the difference of bookings between listings with or without internet?

I beleive this is a must-have for specific listings in big cities targetting young guests or corporate guests,... however this question might be not so easy to answer for listings in countryside targetting guests travelling for leisure.

I tried to look for some data on several websites, but could not find anything...

Thanks for your help 🙂

12 Replies 12
Wahid2
Level 1
Central Java, Indonesia

I live one of the small village on the slopes of the mountain and the Internet becomes a fundamental issue for Airbnb guests, the availability of internet access to be one of the attractions for guests, guests will easily saturated when hard to access the internet as in my village and this is the management that makes the guests not feel at home and of course the demand for places will decrease.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Christian531, I have no data to share on this - I don't think it exists - but I can tell you from five years' experience that if you market your place as off-grid, then internet becomes a non-issue. My listing is remote, such that even cell service is spotty. I suppose many people have looked at it and not booked, but that is good. Those who do end up booking are not going to expect wifi. They are looking for something else in a holiday. 

In your case, with your amazing location, something like "Unplug from the grid!" before breaking the news about no wifi will at least target the guests you want. Make it a positive thing rather than a negative.

Wahid2
Level 1
Central Java, Indonesia

okay thanks for the advice and input

@Christian531

I started out as a guest user before becoming a host and unless I'm looking to specifically be "off the grid" and away from cell phones and technology for a certain amount of time, to me (and Henry) internet/wifi is like having hot water and a toilet regardless of whether I'm travelling for work or pleasure. Just my 2 cents 🙂

Maureen76
Level 2
Warwick, RI

I have a worry about internet security, specifically, guests hacking my network and gaining access to  sensative personal information. Does any host have experiance with this? I have wireless as well as hardwired internet access for the Netflix and Amazon streaming services I offer.

@Maureen76, it is possible to partition your Wifi into two separate networks.

Even very inexpensive Wifi routers support this capability (mainly because it *is* important to keep the guests out of your personal network).

If you would like more detailed info or instructions or Wifi router recommendations, feel free to ask.

Thank you all for these answers! Luckily, we are not off the grid and we will quickly set internet as the cost is not expensive and we think this is a must have nowadays 🙂

I agree that this is not mandatory, and guests dont necessary use it, but still... it's start to be part of the basics

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Christian531 I did just read an article that did some research on this and internet / wifi is now supposedly the 'top amenity' people are seeking in seareches.  Not sure how veracious their data is or how the study was conducted. If I can find the article again, I'll post it here.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I live in an area where there are no phone lines, but a strong cell signal. I get internet through a tethered connection to my cell phone- it is metered and fairly expensive. So in my listing description I mention that internet is limited- fine for doing email, surfing the web a bit, but no streaming, uploading or downloading large files, or Facebooking, etc. for hours, as those sites automatically play videos, post photos and so on.

All my guests have been fine with this- they almost all go into town daily, where most of the cafes and restaurants have internet connection which their customers can use, if my guests need to be online more.

I'm not off-grid- I am on city water line and electric, but my place is in the countryside, so I  get a certain kind of guest that prefers not to be right in the midst of the hustle and bustle of a busy tourist town and doesn't mind the 20 minute walk to town and the beach. Several have said they are glad I don't have unlimited internet, as it is too easy to be online for hours, which they didn't need to travel to a Mexican beach town to do. Most of my guests are readers and enjoy having the time to do that while on holiday, as opposed to being constantly plugged in.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I don't have it, and I find that most guests have their own internet on their phones should they need it. It is a tourism area, not for work travel. Some listings in my area have it, most don't. There is only one particular type of guest which (not having read my listing which says low-tech, no internet) who exclaims over it not being there, taking it for granted like Jessica and Henry in South Korea.

If you are clear in the listing about what you offer, you can't go wrong with the expectations.

Eric999
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I’m on the fence, definitely in a more remote mountainous area, good cell service (we stream Netflix via Verizon to our TV), plus will have a good dvd selection and redbox down the road, and will be a low margin listing, so $50/month is a fairly big expense to add to other utilities and costs. 

Right now, my biggest reason to get internet is for a nest or other type of security camera to monitor the outside/ parking. 

Millie15
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

@Christian531 As a frequent traveller myself on Airbnb, one of the top considerations for choosing accomodation for me is wifi access. It's pretty much a dealbreaker for me. Planning each day, checking google maps and trip-advisor for nearby restaurants and how to get places etc... having wifi in your accomodation allows you a guest to do this with ease. Besides, the more information available to the guest, the less they have to ask you, the host - which, lets be honest, is ideal when you don't have the freetime to be 24 hour concierge 😉 

Unless you're in a remote area where internet isn't the norm for competing places, I would invest in it. A lot of Airbnb's in Japan do a pocket wifi system, with a download limit - could be an option for ensuring costs don't blow out. Anyway, just my 2 cents! ^_^