Local Hosts plagerizing my description

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Local Hosts plagerizing my description

Hey everyone, I'd love some feedback and suggestions on this somewhat delicate subject.    I've been a host on Airbnb for 5+ years, a Superhost for most of the time (I hate this new system).   In that time, I've done lots of events with Airbnb, been part of countless local projects with them and been somewhat of a local community leader.    I've referred at least 10 hosts who now are all doing well.  I'm very interested in the listings around me, and I spend some time checking out the competition to see how I'm doing against them.   A few years ago I noticed that certain parts of my description were popping up on listings.   Very specific turns of phrases, very detailed chunks of copy, even specific neighborhood suggestions that are absolutely not relevent to that particular location.   I used to laugh it off, but I just came across a fellow host who I've welcomed into my home and shared ideas with, and made myself available whenever he needed guidance - he's now taken my newest updated description from one of my places and copied and pasted it into his newest listing.  So it's not something that he did at the beginning and is now just copying his own first listing - he's actively and regularly using my listings as his database.  This is a person who is in my direct community and we share some social circles, so I certainly don't want it to get awkward, but I do want to punch him!

Do I;

1) flag the listing for airbnb and state the reason why

2) call him directly and offer to help him write his own copy

3) insert into my copy "hey XXXX, quit stealing my copy" and hope he copies and pastes that passive aggressive note into his own description

4) do nothing and leave it.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

19 Replies 19
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

I might say something like, "I think we really need to differentiate our listings...I know you've used a lot of my material, but I think you'll have better results if you put some effort into personalizing your listing to make it your own."

Lisel0
Level 2
New York, United States

I PREFER THIS OPTION TO START. 

Serafina0
Level 6
Minneapolis, MN

I'd be pretty direct about being upset at the copying, especially if it's someone I know. It may add an extra layer of awkwardness, but it also gives you an edge in stating what you'd like to have happen (write your own copy, don't take mine), in that a fellow host who has a good opinion of you is more likely to comply.

I've heard quite a few hosts complain about copied language in listings. Airbnb's terms don't allow us to use anyone else's copyrighted material, and the specific wording of our listings is copyrighted the moment we publish them. I've heard in the forum, however, that this is an area where Airbnb doesn't really enforce its terms--it may be hard for them to track down who wrote what, when--and that it largely leaves it to hosts to work out. And it's the wording, not necessarily the ideas, that matter. 

Ed & Hugh have some good suggestions on why this is important (to differentiate the listings), but I'd be very direct about finding it troubling to have my copy cut and pasted. That's just not okay, as even elementary school students are taught these days.

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

@Maria-Lurdes0

This issue has actually arisen many times before, hosts have written about it on various groups, and I think it's always so disappointing when hosts do this...particularly if it is someone you know! The gall of stealing from a friend!  

I would not flag the listing for Airbnb --- particularly if it is a host whom you know.  I think it's always best for people  who know each other to try to work out any difficulties/problems between themselves, rather than go to Big Mommy or Big Daddy to intervene.  Also -- even if this was someone you didn't know (which is most often the case in instances of plagarism)  I have heard from some others who were plagarized, that Airbnb wasn't able to do anything for them about it.  Which is kind of understandable, since Airbnb doesn't know who had what copy first, and who copied whom.  

So I would advocate Ed & Hugh's approach and just contact him and ask him not to copy your listing description.  You might offer to help him write his own -- or not -- but be clear that you dont' consider it friendly for a friend to steal your work like that.  

I would also sort it out directly with the friend and I would tell him that I'm furious about it, that I consider my words as my intellectual property. Like an artwork - you can't paint the same painting you have seen at another artist's home either. Try it with such an example, some people just don't understand that copying ideas and words is plagiarism too.

As for airbnb not being able to see who posted what and when, that would really surprise me. As it's a database, they could find in the log, when you changed a comma into a dot.

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Thanks for the great feedback and some real practical ideas to implement.   For the moment I'll wait - but when I run into him again I will say - hey friend, I helped you a lot, but that doesn't extend to writing your copy for you.   So please write your own, as I work very hard to keep my copy updated and fresh and relevant to ME!

On another note, one of the other local hosts that copied some of my wording in then gets reviews "what cafe con leche place is XXXX talking about, I asked her to show me where the place she describes in, and she had no idea what I was talking about"  HA!!!!

that's what happens when people steal copy, they haven't verified. it makes them look stupid.

Kimberley-And-Tom0
Level 1
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States

I like option 3!

Carol0
Level 3
Seattle, WA

When I first started my AirBnB I wondered at the harshness of all the rules some hosts had. Within a month I was adding the same rules in my own language.  Things like, "remove shoes to keep carpets clean,"  "recycle your garbage while here," and "don't stay in the shower all day" or "no unregistered guests" or "no pets."   I wouldn't worry about that plagiarizing you at all as guests may well point the description discrepancies out in their reviews themselves so you don't have to.

Vicky0
Level 4
Norwich, United Kingdom

I have just noticed this today with a local host. Copied word for word in parts including a typo. I have flagged him and complained to airbnb. There is no part of copying and pasting that is acceptable. Looking for ideas and things to include is something everybody does (or should!) when writing a listing but copying is not on. If airbnb don't do anything I will send him a note. He has only listed this month so it's pretty obvious he has copied me and not the other way round

agreed. there are common phrases and words used in all industries...take a look at real estate listings? Do you think they are all wanting to punch each other? take is as a compliment or just...a part of the industry.

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

Minu, plagiarism is simply not acceptable.

Perhaps your friend will get the hint if you add the copyright symbol (© ) at the end of all your text sections.

If he doesn't, you can quietly mention to him the purpose of a copyright symbol. He might have the grace to be embarrassed about snagging your descriptions.

@Donna15  I love your reply....I wouldve written the same answer had I seen @Maria-Lurdes0 post when they first wrote this concern back in November.

But she is absolutely right about adding the copyright symbol to your listing. I think I will do the same thing since I noticed that a new host in my area took my information word for word off of my listing too.  *shocking! Imagine our world where others can't write for themselves....HAHAHA  ( I know that's why ghost writers still get paid)

and yes Milu, I do hope you took the direct approach but I couldn't find the updated post on what happened.  Might I also suggest that you find the most up to date lawsuit of infrigement case for CopyRight Law in your state and send a copy of that article to your neighbor with a note saying...thought you might find this ariticle as interesting as I do.  hahah  ( some might consider that a little passive aggressive but I think its a funny approach to remind someone they can be sued for stealing ones copyright information.  Let us know how it all turned out.

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

When I read about this matter I immediately thought, "There's is spiritual solution to every problem". Actually, that is a title to a book written by recently departed author and spiritual activist, Wayne Dyer. You may have heard of him. Anyway, here is what I would be and do in this situtaion....

I would remember that everyone that comes into my life offers a gift. (Thank you so and so)

What is the gift? What is the silver lining?

In recreating myself anew, who do I now choose to be in relationship to what is, what is showing up?. What is the highest version of the highest vision I now wchose to experience regarding this matter? 

I have been sent nothing but angels. 

I too have a gift for the other. What is my gift? I come into this space to be the light. 

How does who I am being in relationship to this person feel? There is another way. What would Jesus do now? What would love do now? 

There's Enough. There is enough to go around. There is enough of what I think I need in order to be happy or successful. I can expereince my abundance more fully by giving freely. 

Nobody really owns anything.

Where has this pattern shown up in my life before?

FEAR...False Evidence Appearing Real

Know one can duplicate the space and energy that I have created. Each space is unique and my photos help indicate so. 

Namaste