[Local] Mexico: 'Day of the Dead'

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Local] Mexico: 'Day of the Dead'

Jessi 1.jpg

All photos were sourced by Jessi, via a Google search. 

Hello everyone,

One of the amazing things about the Community Center is that we are based all around the world. This means that specific traditions or local events/festivals we celebrate in one area, don’t necessarily happen in others.

Over the years, we have seen wonderful posts on this in each of the different speaking CCs from hosts celebrating their local traditions and it occurred to us, that like with the CC Festival of Hospitality it would be nice to start translating these and sharing these across CC languages. 

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.26.10.png

We spotted this amazing post by @Jessi7, original topic created in the Spanish speaking Community Center and translated below. 

-----------------------------------------------------

In Mexico the celebration of the Day of the Dead (November 1 and 2), is one of the oldest that keeps a deep symbolism, since 2003 UNESCO recognized it as Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.

Throughout the Mexican territory is celebrated, each region does so in a different way, according to their traditions and location but always representing the Mexican folklore, where the dead are the protagonists of great festivities–colorful, expressive, authentic, unique.

What is the symbolism of this celebration? We can summarize it this way: it is a loving and respectful homage of the families to their deceased, where there is a clear dichotomy between the celebration and the mourning for the death.

Being present in some of them is magical, as a Mexican I feel tourists who come to my country have to give themselves the opportunity to live these occasions, so that then they can see this magic, which they will not find everywhere.

Michoacán is one of the states with more roots in this celebration. Those who are in charge of creating the magic is the Purépecha people, they make a wake in the lake and Janitzio island, on the eve of the day of the dead there is a great party, then you hear the bells ring, the souls are presented and the living gather before the mortal remains of those who have already left. But they never arrive with empty hands, they carry food, flowers, songs, memories that honor beings that are no longer materially there, the murmur of prayers all night is fascinating.

Jessi 2.jpg

There is something constant in any of these celebrations and it is the altar of the dead, small, big, monumental, in the houses, in the schools, in public places, it doesn't matter, there you are honoring a loved one. These altars are full of symbolism, I will put some:

Cempasúchil flowers: with them the way is traced to help the soul to find its home:

Jessi 3.jpg

Skulls: sugar, amaranth, chocolate:

Jessi 4.jpg

Pan de muerto: delicious:

Jessi 5.jpg

Chopped paper: believed to represent air and is present in all offerings.

Jessi 6.jpg

Water, tequila, mezcal: Calms the thirst of traveling souls.

Jessi 7.jpg

Portrait of the deceased: to whom the offering is dedicated.

Jessi 8.jpg

Incense or copal: represents the olfactory guide for visiting souls.

Jessi 9.jpg

Candles: illuminate the way of the souls to the house.

Jessi 10.jpg

Dishes and drinks: the dead man's favorites.

Jessi 11.jpg

Mexican sweets for the souls of the little ones.

Jessi 12.jpg

There is something else that is always present in these festivities "the skulls" that are only epitaphs, are very Mexican compositions, which are made in a funny, ironic, mocking and can be from a deceased or living people. 

"We are mortal because we are made of time and history. But there are instant exits through culture, which is a poetic act, which dissolves time, to escape history and death."- Octavio Paz.

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

10 Replies 10
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Here the UK Halloween has become quite a big thing. Many people adults and children dress up and carve vegetables. 

We thought we would get on with the pumpkin action here in our Community Team. Here are our masterpieces....

Pumpkins 1.JPG

I can't quite remember who did which one, @Quincy is yours the one in the middle at the back? 

Here is mine...I was a little late to the photograph...

Pumpkin 2.JPG

I have to say mine isn't the scariest design in the world, I was going for a spooky house feel...but it looks like a cozy country cottage! hehe

Also, one of the nice things about the pumpkins, in keeping with our aim to reduce waste. @May (Portuguese Community Manager), took the content of the pumpkin and roasted the seeds (which we have been munching on all day). @Francesca (Italian Community Manager) has found some local residents who want to take our pumpkins away and use them for an event they are hosting and we will also we using the rest of the pumpkins as filling for some Italian pasta treats that Fran is going to help us make. 🙂

If you have any more suggestions of what we can do with our pumpkins do let us know. We would love to try it out. 

Are you celebrating anything in your area over the next few days? 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Salute, 

Happy Halloween @Lizzie, Quincy and for every one 

Thanks, 

Miloud

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Lizzie, I carved count Dracula :-). It's right above the cat pumpkin. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Miloud0
Level 10
Rabat, Morocco

Salute  @Jessi7   

Happy Halloween. Really, it is great tradition  

Thanks, 

Miloud

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Lizzienice time to make homemade pumpkin soup isn't it?

Saw a few decorations and places with Halloween themes but had a tumble so ended up having a Halloween I'll never forget.

Ended up in ED/ A&E via ambulance and overnight hospital stay, so had a very personalized one this year.

I won't put the photos up as they are not very nice, some may not mind but..

Enjoy all those yummy treats @Jessi7 those sweets look delicious.

Are the skulls made out of fondant?

Jessi7
Level 10
State of Mexico, Mexico

No @Helen427 the tradition it's to make them with sugar, but they can be chocolate,cereal.

Saludos desde México, mantengamos a salvo.
Jessi
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww @Helen427, are you ok? You poor thing. I've  just sent you a DM as well. 

I hope you are getting lots of treats in hospital, I alway use to like the strawberry jelly (jello). 🙂 

Sending you a big hug from all of us here and all the best for a speedy recovery. 

...and homemade pumpkin soup sounds wonderful, with some crusty bread to dip in it. Yummmmm! I do like making soup, but I've never made any pumpkin soup, I presume it's pretty straightforward. Pumpkin, stock, more pumpkin... 

--------------------

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@LizzieThanks for posting. I lived in Mexico for some time and I loved the Day of the Dead, which I think is so much more meaningful than Halloween, or at least the modern version of it - excessive amounts of sugar and stores filled with mass produced single use plastic junk! (I do love your pumpkins though). I was probably too young to really appreciate it at the time, but now that I have lost loved ones, how awesome would it be to have a day each and every year to celebrate and honour them with food and flowers and photos and painted skulls and to do it along with everyone else? Thanks for sharing @Jessi7  wonderful post and photos - a lovely reminder of a beautiful tradition.

Laura_C
Ex Airbnb
Ex Airbnb
Redwood City, CA

Great to see the activities happening around the world, I'm looking forward to seeing more. Here are a couple more photos from our teams in the London and San Francisco offices. ~ Laura

Fancy dressFancy dress

Pumpkins.JPG

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

All good thanks @Lizzie , 5 stitches later in the palm of my hand, at home & am sure this 1 armed bandit will survive!!

My, the Orphan lambs & those who have had injuries at Cornwall Park always give me inspiration with their inner strength to get from A to B and cope with the challenges they have.

There's one there that has had splint on it's leg which is now removed & another with eye partially out of it's socket who are so strong, provide great joy & overcome what they have placed in front of them so we humans can take a leaf out of their little lives.