What does the Location rating mean in the guest reviews?

Nancy-And-Paul0
Level 4
Pickering, Canada

What does the Location rating mean in the guest reviews?

I noticed we had a 4-star rating on location. What does this mean? If a guest doesn't like the location, why did they book it? If a location doesn't match a listing, for example, wouldn't that be more an accuracy issue? 

At least in my case, I can't imagine why someone would have an issue with the location - it's a high end neighbourhood in a park/ravine setting surrounded by nature on 3 sides. This category needs contextual instruction to make it a meaningful to hosts to address. Too much guesswork.

47 Replies 47
Karen-And-Andrew0
Level 2
Great Ouseburn, United Kingdom

Airbnb need to ask a different question.

They need to ask something along the line of 'Was the location what you expected?'

If you are being given 5 stars for your description then asking to rate the loction is pointless.

This is simply not a helpful tool to anyone, the host can't do anything about their location and how good it is to the guest, is totally subjective based on their need and expectation at that moment. They might have preferred to be closer to something but couldn't find something suitable so THEY made the compromise based on accurate information such is life but the host oughtn't be penalised by the informed choices that others make. 

Please Airbnb address this issue! 

Ruben58
Level 2
Snug, Australia

Interesting topic, just got 5* for everything except check in ( issues with direction) and location 3*,

my suspicion is that language barriers play a role as well. In my case they were thrilled and want to come back, but seem to have problems reading the English language. **

**Some content removed inline with the Community Center Guidelines - Please  avoid generalisations and head to our Nondiscrimination Policy to learn more.

Loraina0
Level 3
Scottsdale, AZ

I found this thread because I too have received a couple of 4 star reviews on location. One guest who reviewed me 4 stars told me while she was here that she booked my place because it was in close proximity to where her son lives. My location is the Beverly Hills of Arizona. Im surrounded by World class gold courses, High end Shopping centers and $500 per night resorts. Trump stayed at a resort 7 minutes from where my place is. I am completely blindsided by these low reviews with no explanation. Airbnb should set some guidelines for guests on the review system. Was the location safe? Was the location where it said it was when you booked? Etc. 

Forgive my gramatical errors. I am quite upset right now. 

Catalina49
Level 2
California, United States

It is simply, a very stupid category. We leave in a nice neighborhood close to the Everglades, Miami, Biscayne national park. It is a small town that doesn't offer much itself but we are always booked because of location. Nevertheless, I get 4 stars and 3 stars because it's not the coolest town. WELL, I didn't book it for them ! they did!! it is not my fault! they should get the 3 stars for marginal booking skills. 

I understand if someone chooses a place and then its loud at night, there is a dumpster next to it or dangerous people outside. They could not know that but again... they picked the location, it is the stupidest category from this system

Marty21
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

Yeah, the location thing is really nuts. We have a great location unless you compare us to downtown San Francisco or something like that! People will ding me because the location was not closer to their 'son's house.' Seriously?? I think I'm going to go ahead and finally write up a nice handbook (including local sites to see, etc.). I'll explain the conundrum in regards to 'Super Host' ratings. Who would have thought that NO ONE can get Super Host with literally ANY 4-star rating? The percentages are so out of reach. I consistently am a half percent or one percent away from Super Host.

I was a Super Host twice in the last four years... but once the 4-star reviews start (and of course the occasionally pissy... 'will not listen to information' guests start)... Super Host will never happen. In the meantime, my tiny house is occupied about 90% of the time, so I'm not greatly impacted by the dings ($ wise). But, I really should be proactive in order to try to help guests know that they don't realize that they are being disingenuous by giving you a rave review and then dinging you in the stats. And, I agree - the location rating - unfairly impacts a host because he or she has no ability to improve upon it. And if the location is clearly stated in the description, then no excuse like 'it was too far from the school I'm taking courses from' should work to disqualify you from Super Host status. 

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

I get dinged because we're not on the Google grid for the last 1/4 mile.  I'm very clear about that and provide detailed directions with mileage and landmarks, yet 70% of people don't follow the directions I provide and get lost because they used Google instead, finally arrive late stating "gee we should have followed your directions" then ding ME for it...go figure...

Lynne-And-Rolf0
Level 3
Kiruna, Sweden

This has been an issue for years, and yet airbnb has chosen to do nothing about it. Why is that do we think? It clearly isn't 'fair' to the host, but it maybe sorts out the 'safe bets' in terms of hosts compared with 'may not return and pay money to the company' hosts, so that's all airbnb wants? I really can't understand it any other way. Where we live (in arctic Sweden) in a small town, we are regularly marked down because we are a ten minute walk from the so called centre, even though all this is stated on the listing. And now we got a one star review because the person was annoyed with me that I wouldn't come and collect her from the bus station in the car when it was so cold..

People also understand the "location" in different ways. Some think safety, some think the surrounding services and public transportation, some think even the views and if it is beautiful or not. It's very complicated and not explained for people who are rating us.

Wouldn't collect her? Where is the accountability of people

Kristi36
Level 5
St Paul, MN

The location rating is frustrating. Guests will comment that it was further than they expected from the airport or their intended destination (ie the Mayo Clinic) even though the description clearly details the miles from these destinations. Some guests give less than 5 stars simply because they would prefer my listing to be in a different location. The location rating should say--was the location accurately described? ie. clean neighborhood, 5 minute drive from grocery store, etc. 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

I think I have at last figured this out.  When AirBNB first started, they must have thought that "location" would be a good reference to the safety of the area.  As in, were you robbed at the residence or was your car broken into, etc.  That way, if people had a "1" or "2" in location, you would know that it was an unsafe area.  That actually makes a lot of sense.  Example, where I live, if an AirBNB opened up in Southeast Washington DC, and there were two homicides outside while staying there, then location should be a 1 or 2 star rating.

But instead, what has happened is that location has become a vent for the guest based on where they thought the location *should* be in accordence with thier travel plans.  It could be the nicest and safest place in the world, but if too far from thier desired activity, or not enough to do in the niehgborhood, then the guest gets knocked down on location.

I have gotten a lot of 4 stars with locatiomn but (known on wood) not yet a 2 or a 3, the reason being that I live by a subway station, but one must take a bus there since I am not in walking distance - the bus ride is actually only fifteen minutes long.  Yet I have had guests state that they wanted my house to be next to the subway station so they didn't have to take a bus, and that was why they knocked down the location rating.  Well, I don't have a matter transporter and can't move my house two miles away to the subway station.  So, I guess its 4's in location for me.

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

Looking through a guests eyes. Price, Price, Photos, Price!!

We just got a 4 star rating for location, cleanliness in common areas (he thought the outside windows were dirty. They aren't... just very old and will be replaced as soon as we can. Gave us a 4 for that reason only, even though he said the house was spotless.) Also,  the garbage disposal quit working while he was there (it was working when he arrived) and he didn't bother to tell us until he left a note on his departure.  It was an easy fix and we'd told him numerous times to let us know if he needed anything.  And 4 stars for value even though he got 20% off for a whole month, and we are one of the best values in the area.  Yet 5 stars for communication,  amenities,  accuracy, etc...

He told me in person that he Loved the place, that it's the best Airbnb he's ever stayed at,  would like to buy it (he's looking to move to the area). 

Makes no sense. Not a good first experience with the rating system. 

Rant over. 

After thinking about it,  really,  he gave a good review. So what if it wasn't 5 stars. I don't think most people know what the rating system is like on Airbnb. I didn't. 

All in all,  the location thing is kinda dumb,  but in the long run everyone so far who has stayed at our place loves it. I'm not gonna stress over the rating system.