What does the Location rating mean in the guest reviews?

Nancy-And-Paul0
Level 4
Pickering, Canada

What does the Location rating mean in the guest reviews?

I noticed we had a 4-star rating on location. What does this mean? If a guest doesn't like the location, why did they book it? If a location doesn't match a listing, for example, wouldn't that be more an accuracy issue? 

At least in my case, I can't imagine why someone would have an issue with the location - it's a high end neighbourhood in a park/ravine setting surrounded by nature on 3 sides. This category needs contextual instruction to make it a meaningful to hosts to address. Too much guesswork.

47 Replies 47
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Any star system is subjective, I think the issue arises as some people do not understand that the AirBnB default is 5 and you go from there.

I very rarely give max marks outside of AirBnB.

David

@David126 you said it all !!! 🙂

Tim26
Level 5
Leicester, United Kingdom

I completely agree.  I had a 3 star for location once... I did wonder why they didnt book somewhere closer to their end destination.

It's the same as everything though, what does accuracy mean?! Could mean quite a lot - and it's a shame when the guest doesn't give five stars!

Dan2
Level 5
Encinitas, CA

I've had something like that happen, where even though the location is well-described, guests end up having some different idea (and rating). In our case, we describe in detail how many minutes it takes to walk to the nearest grocery store, bus stop, yoga studio, etc. They arrive with stars in their eyes and great intentions to enjoy the pleasant walks nearby. After a few days, though, they somehow feel the distance has grown longer. ;-(

It's simply subjective.

I sometimes wish AirBnb used the olympic method and through out the highest and lowest rating...

Best,

Dan

Could someone please tell me where the neighborhood category is displayed for a guest to see?  I don't see it come up when I try to preview my page.  I sometimes get less than 5 stars becasue I am in a rural area far from attractions.  But I have specifically given distances in the neighborhood section.  I want to be sure they are seeing it.  Thank you!

@Lynn11 - the "Neighborhood" category is on your Listing's main page under "Description"  (you might need to hit the +More to have it open up).  Yours reads... "We are in a rural location which provides a beautiful retreat from in-town living...." for your "Post and Beam Loft Apartment" 

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Actually, I totally get it even if I disagree with those that rank our location at 4 or even 3. Guests book based on a general idea of location, and are (always) overly optimistic. Then, if they don't have a car, and even if they recognize that although our place *is* in the coolest part of Austin, they're a 15-30+ minute walk from all the cool stuff. (Austin is a *big*, spread out, metro area of 2 million people -- 25+ miles wide in every direction -- so even our cool little section of the central city is big and spread out.) Guests with cars or those who are happy to use cabs never give us low location rankings. Guests who think they're coming to Podunk-ville are often disappointed...

Karin19
Level 2
Texas, United States

It's funny. I've had the aggravating experience of exactly the opposite; the guests who have cars are the ones who have given me lower Location ratings. I contacted a couple of them (per airbnb suggestion) to ask what was surprising about the neighborhood (per airbnb suggestions) and the responses were bizarre, like one person said they thought my place would be further into the neighborhood so they drove past it a couple of times before finding it (I'm on a main street), and another that said it was actually better than they thought it would be - and yet I get 3 and 2 stars. Just got another 3-star this morning from another in-state guest with a car. Makes no sense when I get 5 stars for accuracy, communication.
Giedre7
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Some people are just jealous assholes really.... 😞

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

Don't forget that as a host you are always in the wrong if the property is not exactly in the precise location where the guest thinks it should be 🙂

Nicky-And-Julian0
Level 5
East Molesey, United Kingdom

I'm always aggrieved by this rating no matter how much I try to brush it off because it really doesn't matter!  I've just had a return guest who dropped his rating from 4* to 3* this time!  They would rather stay closer to work but book me because I'm available and have last minute reduced prices - and they enjoy the listing!  All down to the traffic I'm told!

@Nicky-And-Julian0 I'd put that guy on my "Immediate Decline" list. Actually, I'd wait 23 hours and 50 minutes before declining him next time. And maybe ask him a mild question or two every hour for the entire time. Or, let him book one more time but give him a devastating review. Nothing slanderous, just all single-stars and a thumbs-down.

Mala0
Level 7
Torquay, United Kingdom

Location Location Location.

I was just going to start a convo about this and saw this thread!..

This really bugs me too.. how the hell are you meant to get superhost status if people mark your location down.  

I am super clear that i live 2 to 2.5 miles from Town but yes in a beautiful area that all love so much!.. 

I even put car drivers more suited to this location if you are not one for buses or taxi's!

I put read the location clearly please before booking, Beach adacent is steepish walk up

I have now even put it in my rules for them to read location !..lol

When i get 5 stars for accuracy and then lower star for location it make them sound stupid!.

I travel a lot and always read EVERYTHING, then if i do not get what i was offered i would query it! but not complain about location i have researched on or drop star because subsquently i did not like what i had chosen!

i asked a few people. most of my reviews said what an amazing location.. Then some put 4 stars and one put 3 stars!!. i asked the 3 star guest why when she had loved the area.  she said because there maybe others who do not have a car!!!.. well i felt like saying "yours is not to reason why"..  the fedback was for her experience as everyones circumstance is diffferent!...  

Now i am also an OCD CLEAN FREAK!.. it is shocking when i get below 5 stars.. i put fresh flowers in rooms, sweets in jars, water, my house is immaculately clean blah blah better than some hotels. and i do five star often myself!. I check other listings who have five stars and from the pictures  i see in comparison to the way i work my socks off to high standards that i get some 4 and 3 stars i was fuming!.. arghhh.. the answers to my questioning where "oh no way i meant to  put 5 and if i could i would put 6" this was from a very untidy couple with a baby.. i think i just annoyed them with my cleaniness lol.. Another the American who put 3 for location put also 3 for cleaning and had no answer.. She said oh no i had no issues with the cleaniness and i should have put higher!!!... 

So in conclusion .... I give up!.. lol

Just had london guys come down on Train.. five stars for everything and 4 stars for location.  Read the blinking listing dudes i say!..hahaha...  The further i am away from Towns and cities the happier i am!..

I must say i now crique things much more carefully since being an airbbnb host

END OF RANT  😉

Mala x

Mala0
Level 7
Torquay, United Kingdom

p.s please ignore my very bad grammar and typos; this is a common occurence when on a "Rant"... 😉

Mx