Location and finding your premises (tips at the end).

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Location and finding your premises (tips at the end).

If, like me you had never utilised Airbnb as a traveller yourself, only a host, how are you to know what sort of trials and tribulations your guests may have gone through to get there; especially if they don’t inform you? So, I thought I’d share my first trip with you. You can make up your own mind as to what you will do with that information.

Flying from Perth to Melbourne sounds lovely, right? Yeah, well, not so much. This trip wasn’t for work, or a holiday. Rather, it was to arrange my uncle’s funeral. Further, until an hour prior to my attempting to locate a place to stay, I’d been hoping to make it to the hospital in time so he wouldn’t be alone. However, that wasn’t to be, instead I’d be arranging his funeral and putting his affairs in order.

As you can imagine, it’s a pretty fragile state to be in.

As a host and first time user as a guest, I’d already joined Airbnb, so there was’nt the need to go through the application and verification process etc. which was a boon.

Considering that, it should be a cake-walk for me right? I’m a host… a Superhost and that for a few years now. So using the Airbnb application if not daily, then at least a few times a week, I should have no problems...

Yet still I battled with the Airbnb booking application. 

The problem...

The issue I had was the need to locate accommodation within walking distance of the hospital. He may have passed away that morning, but he was still in the morgue and his things were still in the hospital; these needed to be collected before I did anything else.

So, this isn’t a holiday. I had no forewarning, and I needed to get on a plane and get over to Melbourne as possible. I also had no time to go strolling through all the accommodations available to me in Melbourne. Rather, I needed it to be specific, and I needed to find something fast. I had a plane to catch and needed to book before I took off - my husband insisted.

So, after selecting all the specifics I required for my stay, and there weren’t that many - all that’s required is a place to stay for one person in the hospitals  suburb with no sharing. 

I hit the ‘search’ button and waited.

Imagine my surprise when over six-hundred places were made available to me?! 

I scrolled back up to the top, and double-checked my selections - yep, nothing there that was off, or wonky. Hmmm. I was certain that there weren’t that many places to stay in the suburb I was looking in. 

So I checked some of the places on offer. 

None of the properties on the first few pages Airbnb offered me were even in the suburb I was looking at.

Yeah, I wasn’t happy, just frustrated and on the verge of tears… again.

Regardless, I threw a few more items into the filter to try and narrow my search further, then had another look again at what was on offer. 

There was still a plethora. The majority of which didn’t suit at all.

I didn’t want to share, I was in mourning. 

There would not be any light-hearted chatter, nor did I desire to know where the best restaurants were, et cetera. 

Yes I’d already filtered the system to show me standalone properties, and yet I was still being offered rooms or suites.

As a guest, it was annoying.

As someone in a fragile state, it was frustrating.

Again I scrolled back up to the top and verified my selections, certain that I was doing something wrong. 

I realised that I had no choice. I had to go through all the properties it offered me. 

Amongst the suites and rooms there were a few standalone, and none of them were suitable. Not one of them were near the hospital.

Fair enough. I narrowed my search once again.

The application was still proffering places from outside the suburb I needed. 

Fast running out of time I finally went with a room that had a separate ensuite with shared kitchen, dining and lounge facilities. It also had a lockbox for the key, so I wouldn’t have to deal with anyone unless I bumped into them in the shared facilities. As I planned on holing up in my room, I decided this wouldn’t be that big of a problem.

I figured I’d only have to do it for one night, and if I needed to book for another night or two, I would just extend it.

My plane was delayed and we landed after eight in the evening. I then went through the whole process of locating the best way to get from Tullamarine Airport to the suburb I was staying in. I settled on a cab. I’d be there sooner than if I’d taken the StarTrak into Melbourne and then a train to the nearest station. Considering that I was a woman travelling alone in a strange (to me) area at night, I thought it prudent to do this, rather than StarTrak - even though it would have saved me about forty dollars Australian. 

The driver was fantastic. I was collected and my luggage was loaded into the back, and then took me to my destination with no phaffing about. He also allowed me to stop and purchase a few items like bread and butter et cetera from a convenience store so I wouldn’t have to leave the accommodation once I arrived. 

When I finally arrived at my accommodation late that night it was pitch black. Wandering around the outside I checked the building against a photo to ensure that I was at the right premises. Why? Because I couldn’t locate the apartment they had designated me. 

The address, instead of being listed by apartment number, then street number, was listed back to front for a start.

It will come as no surprise that I ended up with a headache five minutes after locating the premises.

They had given me the lockbox number of four, which was also the number of the apartment - a fact that initially escaped me.

I don’t know about you, but when I go to an apartment building, I’m expecting each studio, suite and apartment to be given an individual number. So, each number is only used the once. 

Not so in this building. There were four number ones, four number two’s, four number three’s, three number fours, and two number fives. 

Confused? Yep. Me too.

So when I came across the first pole that had a number four. Stupidly, I assumed that it was the one they had designated for me. I then put my luggage down and dug my phone out so I could turn the light on and (attempt to) open the lock box. 

Yes, that’s correct. Even though I had notified the host I was arriving late that night, I couldn’t see anything. 

Worse, the battery on my phone was registering at about three percent. Now this is my fault, and I wasn’t prepared, but I wasn’t thinking too well given the sudden and unexpected death of my uncle just that morning.

Back to that assumption of mine about it being the lockbox they had designated for me. It wasn’t. 

There was another pole further down that was also numbered one to whatever.

As was the next pole. And the next.

How I was I to know the difference between the poles on the same building at night time is still something I’m struggling with.

After calling and texting the host a few times, she got back to me, and I was informed (like I was stupid) that I was standing outside the wrong set of apartments. I needed to move down two or three more poles. 

To give you a better picture. The building had a path down one side of the building. There were five staggered doorways that opened up onto the path. Outside of each of these doorways was a pole. Upon the poles were the lock boxes. Those lockboxes pertained to the rooms/suites/apartments available through that door and that door alone.

Got it? Good. 

Perhaps they could have had each door/pole listed A, B, C, D and E. Then given numbers one to five. So room/flat or whatever you wanted to call it thus:

A1, A2, A3, A4, A5

B1, B2, B3, B4, B5

C1, C2, C4 and so on and so forth. Then the guest (namely myself) may have realised that they were attempting to open the wrong lockbox if they’d been given lockbox E4 and they were attempting to an open lockbox B4. I know I would have realised that it was the wrong box straight away.

So, what did I learn from this?

1. I can understand now why some of my guests are annoyed when trying to locate a place to stay. (Google leads my guests astray - even though to overcome this I have registered my place on Google… all to no avail.)

2. I know now why the guests are annoyed when I send them a long winded ‘welcome to Serenity Cottage’ email, telling them what they can expect… it astounded me the amount of messages I received from Airbnb (I’ve since beefed up my House Manual, and slimmed down my ‘welcome’ email).

3. It would be great if travellers had the option to select a suburb and then perhaps a range of kilometres or miles outside of that area if they so desired.

4. That Airbnb could have a selection of a specific area only, which would make the travellers booking so much easier. 

Because not all travellers are on holidays. Some are working or going to that area for a specific reason - like ballooning for example.

5. Always have a photo of your accommodation from the street on your advertisement to ensure the guest knows without doubt that they are in/at the right place/building. This was my only saving grace that night. I bless the host for doing so.

6. Always ensure lighting is available, so if arriving at night time they can actually find the place. I recommend solar lights along a pathway at the very least.

. Mark your premises and do so clearly. Share a photo of that too with your guest so they know what to look out for. This is even more important if the guests are driving. (I had one guest attempt to drive up our creek.)

7. If you are going to split a building into rooms, studio’s, suites and apartments, please remember to give each of them an individual number. For the mental health of your guests if nothing else - one building, one number per room, studio, apartment etc. Thank you in advance.

8. Don’t talk down or be condescending to your guests, no matter how stupid they appear to be to you. Different cultures do things differently. That doesn’t mean it’s any better or any worse, it just means that we as hosts need to be more understanding and forgiving.

9. Go stay at another Airbnb. Find out what you maybe doing wrong and fix it. I know I have. If, like me you had never utilised Airbnb as a traveller yourself, only a host, how are you to know what sort of trials and tribulations your guests may have gone through to get there; especially if they don’t inform you? So, I thought I’d share my first trip with you. You can make up your own mind as to what you will do with that information.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
35 Replies 35
Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the response and your kindness in reply. Although I think my iPad is playing up as I cannot see it here.

Re: 3 - 4 & ‘search whilst I move the map’: yes I was using my iPad not my Mac, so was unaware that this format is already available. How fabulous!

As most people are travelling, it would be great if Airbnb could have this available in the more mobile app version.

Re 5: Part one: understand your hesitation, and your reasons are valid for not showing a photo of the buildings exterior. I should have been more exacting in my language here. I meant as part of the check-in process.

Part two: If any guest attempted to evade fees (and yes, there are those that do this repeatedly *eyeroll*) I simply show them the app on their (or mine) handheld device and refuse to accept them until they do. I do this by explaining the fees and how small they are, and what those fees provide me with as a host. Then I go on and explain the insurance aspect of it too. Even other advertising that I do on Goggle (sic) etc all point to Airbnb for the log on process. 

Re 7: yes it does only apply to owners of entire buildings, as this example was such a one.

Re 9: Yes it does. It also gives you as a guest, tips on what not to do as a host, but that’s a whole other post.

Once again, that you for your response. 

@Deborah82  I'm glad you received my response, because for some reason it seems that one of the moderators has decided to remove it from the thread.

@Lizzie  would you happen to know why my post has been deleted? I am 100% certain it did not violate any term in the Content Policy.

460B1F17-F385-4CD3-9AE2-1FA81F522CFE.jpeg13CCFD8E-41B8-4379-899D-4819515A7177.jpeg0ADF8CA4-4401-4FCD-A576-B23B806674FB.png

I have had major issues loading the initial post, so perhaps it was something that I did? For example I had emoji’s in the original post, so I removed them. Then I figured the naming of a couple of companies (very large conglomerates) were hexing my load, so I removed them and made them generic instead (so what I wrote still made sense). 
What I’m trying to say is that it may not be a moderator that is causing the issue. It could be the issues that I had with loading the original post and the algorithms are having a hard time maintaining it. *shrugs*

I loaded the photos’ just in case Lizzie does show and she can see that this post had issues from the start. Although I didn’t think to take the screen shots until I’d suffered a few ‘do not past go, do not collect $200’ warnings first. Lol.

@Deborah82 @Susan151 @Beth80 @Anonymous 

I've had those IT issues as have others.

@Lizzie @Stephanie @Airbnb @Quincy  I understand are aware there's IT Glitches in here, it's not because you are misbehaving!

Awesome @Helen427 - thank you so much for the feedback. Good to know I haven’t been naughty. Mwah ha ha. Lol.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 @Deborah82 @Anonymous 

Thanks so much for flagging these issues to us. We all know about the ongoing IT hiccups. On this occassion, I believe the Spam Filter has incorrectly flagged your content so it's waiting in the Spam Quarantine. I'll go ahead and review and release it as soon as possible.

There's some issue over text content, including emojis which we are addressing with the platform provider, Khoros, alongside Airbnb. 

@Deborah82 This red banner issue is a tricky one and we have bug ticket open on it. 

Rest assured, these issues are not caused by any of your actions, just the system being a bit dodgey!

Thanks again,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Deborah82 

Thank you for this much needed post.

Often times we as hosts have no idea what the guests side of registering involves. 

One of the more important things to do as a new host is approach your listing as a guest. The most inexperienced one possible. Only then do tchingwe realize how others will see it.

After watching more than one Uber drive past my house in confusion I now send a picture of the house a few days before the guest is to arrive so they know for sure which house is mine.

For security reasons I do not have an exterior picture included in my listing.

Your experience sounds very frustrating. Even knowing that there is a map option on the app it still took me a while to find it and use it well. I also would have had a headache and been in tears going through that much hassle/ confusion to find my room!

I'm confused where @Anonymous  comments are. Strange!!

5B82907F-9DF7-447F-B739-777A8A1C946B.jpegDDBF537C-25FB-4150-9794-286EF1CBF92A.jpeg38821711-9339-4E5E-B77F-B18140CE69EB.jpeg.  

Hi @Beth80 

Yes, I totally agree with approaching your own accommodations as if you were a guest to try and get a feel for what your guest will see and experience. I had done that myself, and even asked a few of the guests that are friends who came to stay with us, what their experiences were. However, that never really does it full justice when you, as a guest, travel to a strange place for the first time. As you maybe aware, first time experiences count for much.
As to the photographs of your buildings, as I have mentioned before, I have my street shot placed in the ‘check-in’ part of my listing on Airbnb. I’ve taken a few shots of what I meant so that you and

@Anonymous can see what I’m referring too.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Deborah82 

I have a shot of the house in the check in section also. But so many people can't seem to be bothered to read listing so I include it with a message. I'm also an on site host and greet each guest at the door.

Yes, first experiences set the tone for the future. Most of my guests are first time user so I make an extra effort to educate them on how Airbnb and home sharing works. 

Wow, you really have had to deal with a lot of issues to get this posted. Thanks for hanging in there!.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Deborah82 

Firstly sorry to read of your uncles passing, may you always remember the great times you shared together, no one can take those things away.

Well written post, it also shows up where ABB can improve & separate listings to that of been in the area they actually are first & foremost.

I notice it in our location that there are Hosts who claim to be in Remuera when they are not.

It's because Remuera is a Grammar zone so they think they can piggy back on us.

It's frustrating for potential/Guests to.

There's provision in one's listing details how to travel etc to one's place & I hope you have given the Host, I assume it's a multi- listed property, a feedback for there perceived lack of logic & consideration of Guests. That said, one doesn't know their background either why they saw there way of directions as logical.

I always include a briefly detailed route in my msg to Guests so they know exactly where to come, use of landmarks xyz home is next to our place & it's xyz unit at whichever part of the block it is.

There's nothing more frustrating than been in a area out of one's comfort zone & getting further distressed when already that way.

I've had a few new to ABB guests including ones booking on behalf of family members who have appreciated the offline help provided.

A motto to remember my dear fellow Hosts & Guest, "It's the little things that count".

All the best

Thank you @Helen427  and Kia Ora.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Deborah82  I am so sorry that you have lost your Uncle. Yes, a fragile time filled with many tasks that are both emotional and hard.

As an onsite host, I would have been waiting up for you, with lights on, ready to welcome you, show you the tea kettle and toaster before introducing  you to your own sanctuary. But, I understand that you didn't want a shared space. I wish that your arrival had been less traumatic. Perhaps your thoughts, when conveyed to the manager/owner, will make it easier for those in the future.

Thank you @Susan151, sadly not all hosts are as you are, and not all as receptive either. As they say, you can lead a horse to water...

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I have super simple instructions, not overburdoning the guest: ''THIRD driveway down from top of the street despite being number 1''. How many go to the first driveway? Probably a quarter. And I stand outside, waving, if I get a five min heads-up that they are approaching in order to prevent them knocking on neighbour's house. Then I watch them pull into the wrong driveway. Sigh. Wave more and jump up and down a bit.

Sorry you had this experience, VERY frustrating.