Lock pantry in kitchen?

Lock pantry in kitchen?

Hi all,

We are brand new (our first guests come next week). We are doing last minute things to our place and I'm feeling nervous...Will it meet guests' expectations? Will guests be respectful? Will anything be confusing or hard to find (light switches, etc.)?  Of course I want to do the very best we can and I want guests to enjoy their stay with us. The kitchen is pretty big and open, but there is NOT a lot of storage for dry foods. I did consolidate dishes so that one cabinet by the stove is completely empty, and there is a lot of counter space. Now, there is a nice almost-walk-in (not quite walk-in all the way) double-door pantry with lots of shelves that we were planning to lock up because it has back-up supplies and our own food and what-nots in there. But I'm having second thoughts.

In the spirit of pleasing people (and thinking about how much I loved it when I first saw it), I'm thinking now of moving our stuff to the garage or the shed in the backyard so that guests can have access to it. Granted, I do not think they will need all that space AND my husband feels strongly that we should just keep it locked. Moving everything would be a pain and the house-keepers would have to access the garage for supplies, etc. (not as convenient).

But I'm thinking guests would really like it and may be slightly annoyed by a locked cabinet in the kitchen--although it's not in the heart of the kitchen, rather off to the side, ANDWonderland (7).jpgWonderland (9).jpg there is a single-door closet/cabinet next to it that guests will have access to. It contains a high chair, the crock-pot, griddle, grocery bags, etc. My husband and I are at odds about what to do. He doesn't understand my reasoning and thinks I'm worrying too much. Since we're brand new, I'm anxious for good reviews. What are your thoughts and experiences? (I included some photos for fuller explanation.) Thanks in advance! 

13 Replies 13
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@David-and-Annie0  Whether you have a locked pantry in your kitchen for your own supplies, or put them in the garage isn't going to affect your reviews. Your guests have a large, beautiful house to stay in- they're short term guests- they aren't going to go to Costco and have a carload of stuff to fill the pantry with, I doubt it makes a bit of difference. I'd say you are overthinking this. Flip a coin.

And all the best with your first guests- I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@David-and-Annie0 I agree with @Sarah977. You're overthinking it. They won't need a whole pantry and if they have a small cupboard to store their food, that should be sufficient. Perhaps just tell them in your check in instructions that the pantry is locked and that they can store food in the small cupboard beside the stove. Happy hosting!

Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@David-and-Annie0 It's easy to overthink and worry too much .... and when you start to overthink one thing, you miss something very obvious .... one thing I'll guarantee you now is that whatever you're doing now, once you have a bit of experience, you'll change something!

You have a lot of kitchen cupboards. Are you providing too many things that guests won't use?

We own and manage a lot of properties so take hundreds of bookings every year. When we first started, we thought we should get this and that and everything else to maximise the chances of getting bookings and keep the guests happy - of course, filling small spaces with lots of stuff means less space for guests and their luggage and food etc.

A small number of our guests bring babies - only once we've been asked for a travel cot - most guests bring their own - therefore we don't keep one in each property. Likewise high chairs. Some of our guests bring dogs - and they bring their own dog blankets, dog food bowls etc etc.

We ideally want our guests to eat out where possible - the island we're on relies very heavily on tourism and we have a lot of local foods here and a lot of great places to eat out. We leave a guide to eating out in each property. We provide all the basic cookware and tableware - that is plenty for most guests. Only once we've been asked for a much larger cooking pot.

Your property, location and the type of guests who will stay with you might mean you need this or that - what you do might be very different to what we do. Don't worry too much, experience will guide you!

Harold75
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Plan it, do it, and evaluate it. 

To echo the above comments;  let experience guide you.  

Best wishes! 

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I have locked cupboards in my listings. Never had any complaints. If you gets lots of long term stays- say more then 7 nights, I’d consider emptying another cupboard in the main kitchen. But for short term stays I find guests just fill the fridge with everything & maybe store cereals/pasta in an empty cabinet. They are not going to bulk shop though & your kitchen looks huge. I would’t worry. Good luck. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David-and-Annie0 If you decide to lock it, put it note in your welcome binder or a small print out on that says the door that there is no guest access and that the door is locked. You wouldn't want someone trying to force it open because they think it's stuck or they're overly curious. You may consider hiding a spare key somewhere in the house or garage. In case a guest needs some of the extra supplies that are inside, you can evaluate if you want to give them access to the locked cabinet.

Way over thinking this!

I leave one cupboard free myself and don’t forget they also have a fridge and benchtop space to use. 

Try and meet your guests 1st few times around and put your mind at ease. 

Good reviews will will come from your good communication, cleanliness, comfortable beds, homeliness etc, not a locked cupboard. 

Enjoy your hosting experience...your place looks amazing!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@David-and-Annie0   I would just lock it, especially if most of your guests are going to be in the 2-7 day range, they will only need a couple of shelves.  If you really think you need more space it would be easier to consolidate another cabinet, or move the stuff in the cabinet into the locked pantry.  

Thank you all for your replies; I really appreciate it, and I am relieved by your responses. (So is my husband!) I didn't want to empty out the whole cabinet and want to just keep our stuff in there, but I also don't want to put guests off with a locked cabinet. But it seems like it won't be an issue. I guess if people complain, we can re-evaluate. 

Do you guys think it's important for me to point out that we have a locked cabinet in the kitchen in the owner's manual or house rules? Or is it just obvious and no need to mention? (We also have linen cabinets in the hallway that are locked) I could use label-maker tape and just write: "owner's closet" and stick it right on it by the handles. 

@David-and-Annie0 if it's obvious (exterior lock) then no further explanation needed, however, if it could be confused for "stuck" and therefore be pulled on I'd label it.

Also, just some truth in advertising: if it will be locked then make sure that this is visible in listing photos as well. (I once rented an ABB space that showed a big open closet off the master, but then in actual fact it was loop locked shut. Not a big deal to not have the closet for a short stay but it shouldn't have been featured in the listing....)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@David-and-Annie0 

I don't know what is the average stay in your area but here it is 1-3 nights. Guests often eat out, if they cook they cook simple meals. We have just one 0,60 m wide cabinet for dry food (enough for coffee, sugar, tea oil...). All other cabinets are full of dishes.

Our kitchen is about 2,5 m long including the refrigerator 🙂 Nobody ever complained and we host 3,5 years

Ideal Airbnb kitchen would be 2 m long and without the oven if you ask me. Anything more is pain in the a** to clean

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

@David-and-Annie0 ...your kitchen looks larger then my apartment. I can't see something to worry about. And the big question is...will your guests meet your expectations. 🙂

People are very different. You will host families, lone-wolf travelers, other hosts, students, maybe a death-metal band, going on tour. My next guest (tomorrow)  will close the "continental" circle for this year - guests from all  populated continents. If your house is close to a winter resort, national park, etc... you will close the same circle for just a few weeks.