Should I be Locking off closets?

Answered!
Maddison0
Level 2
Denver, CO

Should I be Locking off closets?

I am getting ready to start renting out my apartment a couple nights a month to off-set the high rent. Because this is my personal home I of-course have all my belongings here. I am considering putting locks on all the closets and stashing everything I do not want rummaged through in the closets. This does only leaves a dresser and one other shelving unit for guests to put their things. I will not be accepting long stays because I want to live in my house more often than not.

Do you think it is acceptable to have all my closets locked off if I make it clear in the description of my home that this will be the case?? 

1 Best Answer
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Maddison0 I will add another caution. Yes, your guests will need a place to store their clothes. Yes.

But let us talk about what you lock up and what you don't. There are reports of hosts packing their closets with items of great importance such as bank statements, mortgage documents, silver, vodka, cameras and computers. Don't leave any of these things in your locked closets! Buy a box for the trunk of your car that can hold anything that would make you weep if someone broke into your closet and took it. Seriously. That leather bomber jacket given to you by someone special? Throw it into your box.

There have just been too many reports of selective theft from locked closets.

Not all guests are good people, and that is more of an issue for hosts that are renting whole spaces. Be cautious and protect your stuff.

Best!

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

@Maddison0 it is fine to secure your personal belongings.

Just make sure the guests have enough room for their belongings when they unpack their suitcases.

Is there a chest of drawers or a bureau or something for guests to use?

@Maddison0I would suggest still offering some space for hanging clothing: if your guests are attending a wedding or other special event, they'll need it. Maybe add a freestanding wardrobe that you reserve for guest use. 

Thank you Alexandra that’s a terrific idea! I will look in to getting one! 

Hello, yes there is a large dresser is the bedroom and a shelf in the living room and a small dresser in the second bedroom! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Maddison0   Do you have permission from your landlord to sublet the place? A lot of renters seem to think that they can just make extra cash by listing on airbnb, without having asked the landlord. This can easily result in getting evicted yourself, not to mention guests getting evicted as well. 

So good luck with your venture, just make sure all is on the up and up.

I own the condo and there is nothing in the hoa against it so it all good thank you! 

@Maddison0 The first sentence of your post said you were going to rent out your place to off-set your high rent (I guess you meant mortgage?). So that sounded like you're a renter yourself, hence my response.

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Good idea to lock off closets. We remove our belongings but lock off garage space. Then there's no question your stuff is safe, and bonus the guests have more room. @Maddison0

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Locking closets is a great way to add flexibility to your offering.

As I am older, I need to prepare for that day in the near future when I will leave my house.

I am using Airbnb as an excuse to purge my closets.  No more leisure suits. No more halloween costumes, obsolete computers....

While it is still a work in progress,

It feels so good!

Aka Simplifying one's life Paul? It is a heck of a process isn't?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Paul154

Ah, but hang on, you wouldn't part with that 'Darth Vader' outfit would you Paul!!!

Cheers........Rob

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Maddison0 "Do you think it is acceptable to have all my closets locked off if I make it clear in the description of my home that this will be the case??" 

Perhaps it is not necessary to even mention it in your description. It is an understandable choice.

If you have closets locked and no place to hang things or put things away, it's important to state this in the description.  My parents just rented a place for a week and now they are there and the 2 large closets are locked.  There are several hooks very high but not even anything to really hang things on.  There is NO mention that there is NO closet or storage space - just good reviews.  I have stayed at many airbnbs and never had a place have NO place to hang clothes. My elderly parents are now looking for a hotel.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maddison0

Hi Maddison, you must remember you are expecting guests to pay you money to stay at your property, and the quickest way to p*ss them off is for them to find locked cupboards at every turn.

Maybe you can empty your things from a few strategic cupboards so the guest does not feel 'isolated' in your Condo. 

You could set yourself up with some roll out baskets for your things that you store under the bed when guests are there freeing up a closet or two! 

I also would go along with what @Sarah977 has said as far as HOA is concerned. If your HOA allows short term rentals, that would be extremely unusual! In virtually all instances property management will bar short term renting regardless of the occupation status, be it rented or owned because, by short term renting you void the insurance coverage for the entire complex.

Make sure you know where you stand on this Maddison.....cancelling confirmed reservations can be costly!

Cheers.....Rob