Long Term Cancelation Policy

Lauren522
Level 2
Park City, UT

Long Term Cancelation Policy

Hi! 

I am a new host and am concerned about long-term rentals. 

I had a guest contact me about a 26-day stay. I am a little concerned because of two reasons.

1. they just joined Airbnb this month and have zero ratings
  2. I have a strict cancelation policy in place (must cancel 2 weeks prior to reservation) but 2 weeks is still too short of notice for this type of booking. I am located in Park City, UT and they are wanting to book 26 days during peak ski season. If they cancel two weeks prior, I could miss out on a lot of revenue. 

Is there a way to change the cancelation policy for one-off reseverations like this one? Would you rent to someone for this long that has no previous reviews and just joined Airbnb? 

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lauren522  The long term policy only kicks in for bookings of 28 days or more, you can't choose it yourself for bookings of less than that.

There are many reasons why Airbnb isn't a suitable platform for longer term bookings. There is no real security deposit charged, you really don't know anything about the guest as you would if you operated as a landlord, like getting references, work history, etc.

And as a new host, you should give yourself time to find your way around using Airbnb, learn from other hosts, as you have done by asking these questions, and become adept at vetting guests and knowing what to watch out for as far as red flags.

As well, as a new host, you want to build up as many reviews as possible, which can't happen if you take long bookings.

I would suggest that a new host set a maximum booking period of a week or so. You can always change your settings at any time if you decide to. And no, I wouldn't rent for almost a month to a new user with no reviews.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lauren522 

You might warn them that they have 48 hours after booking to cancel and that they should purchase trip insurance because after 48 hours they will be liable for “substantial fees, penalties and rent” if you are unable to re-book the nights they cancel.

This might not be precisely true but it will make them nervous if they are up to something fishy.

I don’t know if you are offering a discount for longer stays but if you are you should make sure that it doesn’t make the price for 26 days cheaper than what they would pay for 21 days.

There are people out there that are looking for that situation, planning to stay two weeks but booking a month, then manufacturing an excuse to leave early and demanding a refund at the base rate.

As for them having no history on the record, that is somewhat alarming. They are about to put up about $8,000 to do something they have never done before. 

You might also offer them the “strict or non refundable” option which is supposed to guarantee you full payment regardless of their excuses.

Cristina860
Level 4
Orcutt, CA

Has anyone had payout on the Long Term Cancellation policy? How long after the guest checked out did you receive the 30-day final payment? Did you have to reach out to Airbnb support for payment in full, or was it an automatic deposit?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Would you trust a total stranger to promise to temporarily occupy 26 days of your calendar at the height of your season that has zero reviews and can cancel practically at the last minute and burn you? No, be my answer.

Perhaps before they book, change your policy, after they do so, change it back.