Long Term Rentals

Crystal8
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Long Term Rentals

I just received an inquiry for a 5 month lease from a new Airbnb member (since June 2016).  I am a new host (this would my second booking) and don't want to make any mistakes.  The inquiry came from a student.  It raised all kinds of questions for me, mainly what are the repercussions of having a 5 month lease?  Can I put conditions on the agreement?  Is there a resource for me online that will help me with this kind of lease? I would appreciate any thoughts or stories/experiences from other hosts.  Thank you!

9 Replies 9
Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

We are brand-spanking new to short-term rentals and Airbnb, but I'd like to offer some insight as a seasoned human who also had a home rental for many years.  These are just personal thoughts - my reactions to your situation.  1) Like us, I bet you were excited about listing with Airbnb and offering your space, with this being only your 2nd listing, and for 5 months, you are kind of removing yourself from the short-term rental market (not receiving reviews for months, etc).  2) If anyone were to ask to rent a space outside of Airbnb - just as a long-term rental, you would need to confirm their income and receive recommendations from multiple people.  3) In some states a renter is legally afforded rights after renting a home for 30 days.  I don't know the details, or if that includes a room, or just an entire home, but it's worth looking into.  That's my "two cents." I'm sure the consistent income for five months seems like a real jackpot, however, I suggest caution and a level head.  (Don't think about the money while you're considering this.)  Good luck! 

First of all do you have rent control in San Diego and if you do is your place under rent control laws . Because after 30 days you'r guest has tenant rights if there is rent control . You can get them to sign a regular tenants lease if you feel that's needed . I'm sure San Diego has some sort of rent board where they will answer all your questions about regular rent .I hosted students and long-term guests before and have had no problems it really just comes down to intuition and luck.
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Crystal8 Unless you are experience in renting out long term, I would advise not to accept a Long Term Stay as you are new to Airbnb. Most property managers do a back ground check and a credit check for month to month leases which Airbnb does not do.  Here's what Airbnb has to say about Long Term Stays:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-long-t...

If you are determined to proceed with this reservation, I would contact a professional property manager to see what kind of contract you should have with this tenant as Airbnb only facilitates payment, nothing more. Also I would encourage you to have proper rental insurance on your home. 

Hope this helps with your decsion making process!

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Don't forget - someone coming in for 5 months will be a logder in terms of interacting with you (forget for a moment any legal isssues to be considered). This is completely different to someone in your home for a few nights, going out sightseeing, etc...

The two are totally different.

Think about whether or not you should set a maximum number of nights for a party to stay.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

The others have some great points about tenant law you'll want to look into.

There's a big learning curve with your first guests! Each one taught me about something I wanted to add to my rules, screen better for next time, add as an ammenity to my place, or better describe in my listing. Having a 5 month tenant could be great from a financial standpoint, but could also put you in a frustrating spot if the terms you agreed to up front aren't working so well. (Much easier to learn with a guest who is there 3 days than 5 months!)

I've heard of some people who ask the person to reserve for, say a week, as a trial period, then book the rest if both people like how that went.

I have had long-term tenants, 3-year tenants, and two-night tenants.  I have had a variety of students.  On the whole, I would strongly advise against long rentals to undergraduates.  Someone writing a dissertation is fine.  But undergraduates are very young, and can be very wearing.

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

You can always use the "reference' portion to encourage them to get some good personal references that can speak to their payment history. Also, you can insist that THEY pay for the renter's insurance. You don't pay for it. 

Finally, if you feel good about the inquirer, you could always propose that you do the first month or two on Airbnb and a separate lease scenario afterwards so you are not paying the Airbnb fees. The first couple of months will help you to refine what you want the lease to say and, if it's not working as you'd like, you can let them know after the first 30 that you will not be extending their stay so they have a full month to find other accommodations. 

I have had really good experiences with two young female students. They were communicative, self sufficient, busy, respectful and didn't complain at all. They stayed for two months and we did a lease for two more. I really enjoyed them and didn't have to do any clean up for 4 months! Long term stays can have advantages. It just depends on what you want.

Margaret122
Level 2
Holladay, UT

I'd like all your inut on long termers as well: I started airBnB end of 2016, then addd VRBO mid January. I am gone each summer (May-November) and am debating what to do. I do have some adult children in this town, who could possibly jump in for emergencies. 

What would your advice be? 

thankyou

mrgaret

Angela829
Level 1
St Louis, MO

Here's my dilemma. After 27 years of marriage,  3 children, and no degree as I helped my hubby build his practice up to be successful, he left me for his dental hygienist that he'd been having a 19 year affair. My baby just graduated high school and was accepted to LMU in LA. I have rented a home for 3 years and am a very good tenant. Heck, I'm 51 and a half years old! I can change a toilet flange, change a washer from a dripping faucet, and clean gutters. Being from St Louis MO didn't prepare me for the RENT!!  Just as my daughter wants to start her life, I would like a fresh start for myself. She will live in the dorms, my two boys are almost graduated and close to dad, he got the house, cars,  boats, business, and all the friends. I just want to move to LA and work on figuring out who I AM now. I know who I'm not. Take some classes, work some, find some passions, and be close enough that if she needs me, I'm close enough to be there for her.

I had NO IDEA how hard it would be to rent someone's empty guest/carriage/mother-in-law house on a yearly standard lease agreement.  Of course, ANY renter who signs a lease for 29 days or more is responsible for renter's insurance.  You (host) are no longer considered a "paid short term hotel/hostel/bed provider" but a long-term LANDLORD. Any State and County will have standard boilerplate Rental Lease Agreements that can help you with rules and such.  Having been a Homeowner myself for over 25 years, and he was relatively new to the real estate game, I was even able to help him with laying down some definite boundaries. Some tenants...and that's what long term lease renters ARE, NOT GUESTS, seem to get confused in that area. A landlord is not at your back and call for every little thing. If you want the convenience of a home, you need to take responsibility as if it was your home, for a temporary time, and treat it with love and respect.

Now, how do I find a wonderful empty property that someone would at least give me the honor of an interview?  The great thing is,  that if we can build a relationship of respect and trust, holidays I hope to be with my mother, siblings and cousins...so, depending on our circumstances together,  when I'm out of town for Thanksgiving, Christmas,  4th of July, etc. I would entertain you renting it out at a premium holiday rate! I'd just hope you would consider a pro-rated adjustment on my normal monthly rent, and a stipend for any increase in utilities, but you could have whatever the above and beyond was.

Any ideas?  I'm willing to start on Jan 7, 2019 and on a temp basis go until the end of her Spring Term, Leaving mid-June, HOWEVER.

YOU WILL find me an awesome tenant and that monthly check that comes every month on time without fail, is going to make you wonder why you didn't do it before.   At least, for someone who has an unused house, cottage, home to spare.  I cannot...CANNOT, pay LA prices.  But I can take care of your place for you and help out wherever else I can.  My plan is to stay in LA until my daughter graduated, June 2022.  Then, go back home where I was born and raised and take care of my mother as she gets older. 

Any help this Community could provide would be most humbly appreciated.  Blessings to you all!

~ Angela from St Louis MO (Chesterfield, actually)  afrench926@gmail.com if you can help.

Thank you!