Long term guest asking to buy a microwave??

Stephanie1471
Level 2
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Long term guest asking to buy a microwave??

I just had a long term guest check in, and is staying for 72 nights. They have requested for a microwave oven, which we don't have in the unit. It seems odd that a guest would request for me to purchase an appliance for his stay.  Is this a request I should agree to? Anyone had any similar experiences?

13 Replies 13
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Stephanie1471 no it is not reasonable for a guest to ask you to purchase an appliance. If you think a microwave might be useful in general for future guests, go ahead and purchase one, but your guest doesn't have the right to ask you for one if you haven't got one listed in your amenities. 

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I have just bought a blender for my long-stay guest, so I am one of the naive ones 🙂 
And to add to that, the guests shortened her stay. So I will do better next time 🙂

@Stephanie1471 If you offer Kitchen as an amenity, but your stove and/or oven aren't working, it would make sense to buy the guest a microwave. But if all your amenities are in the condition advertised, guests aren't entitled to ask you to purchase more. 

If you have space for a microwave, you can offer to let the guest purchase his own, but it's worth considering how this will impact your electricity bill.  In general though, I recommend not establishing a pattern in which the guest believes he can coerce you into buying things for him that weren't on offer.

You are right. I said I will ask the owner about the microwave (I'm a co-host). And now he is asking for cable TV!

@Stephanie1471  Tell him that the appliances and amenities provided were clearly stated in the listing information, that the place is exactly as described and he chose to book it. Tell him if he wants things which are not provided, he should look for anther place that meets his needs. It would really be best if he leaves- this is going to be a long 72 days, otherwise. 

Telling him you'd ask the owners about getting a microwave wasn't the best call. The thing to do was to ask the owners first, without giving him any indication that you were even thinking of doing that. You never want to give guests the impression that they can call the shots. Stay polite, but firm and professional with guests like this. Stand in front of the mirror and practice saying "I'm sorry, but that won't be possible". "I'm sorry, but that isn't one of our listed amenities".

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Stephanie1471 depending on the cost in your country, microwave is a wonderful amenity that maybe appreciated by many future guests. You can buy it if you think it will help you as well but you do not have to do it just for the guest

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

on the basis you can get a microwave in the UK for about £30, I would fall over backwards to buy one if it makes someone staying 72 nights happy!

@David3267  My experience of guests who demand that you start purchasing extra amenities for them is that nothing is going to make them happy; the demands only escalate into grievances.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

I agree if it is something very expensive or esoteric but I think a £30 microwave for an 72 day stay is a reasonable request and I'm sure would be perceived as a benefit by other future guests.

@David3267  Perhaps we'll have to agree to disagree, but if the microwave was so important to the guest, why didn't he book a place that already had one? Or offer upfront to cover the additional cost?

Providing good hospitality doesn't have to mean coddling these entitled attitudes.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I don't offer a microwave, a microwave oven,box fan, espresso machine or coffee maker in my house. Unfortunately, these requests are very one off and I don't like having to store random appliances in my house that guests rarely use, but I don't have a need for. I never stated I have any of these appliances so why would a new guest be under the impression I would buy one? The stove and oven work perfectly! If they want to reheat leftovers use the stove. If they want a breeze open a window. If they want it colder or hotter the AC will turn on and if they want coffee by all means leave my house and enjoy the city.

I actually went out to purchase a coffee maker and only one guest has used it in the 3 years Ive had it. They loved it but people are very particular about the machine they want. I work in a hotel without a coffee maker in the suites and people will call probably once a day asking where the coffee maker is at. Well there's 7 coffee shops in a block walk. Sorry, but the cost to maintain, clean and stock over 3 thousand coffee makers isn't worth the hassle and when you offer it they complain about the brand.

I do state in my things to know that I don't have a microwave.

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

The Microwave is one of the most used amenities in my kitchen. Almost every guest is using the microwave, the coffee machine and the electric kettle.

The big oven is still untouched.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

My current guest asked for a blender before arrival, I explained that we have a basic kitchen, all the appliances we have are on the pictures. I've had guests ask for specific types of pans, and other things, but I'm not going to buy them just because they are asking, there are somethings I want to add but to go and buy whatever they ask is just asking for more requests... I heard someone ask a host for a lobster pan, I didn't even know that there was a specific pan for that...