Long term or short term?

Yu1
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Long term or short term?

Do you guys prefer long term (> 14 days) guests or short term guests? Just wondering what sort of guests you generally get when they want to stay for say a month or few months? What's everyone experience like?

6 Replies 6
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Yu1 If you are considering stays longer than 30 days, I would encourage you to read the link below.  Keep in mind that Airbnb doesn't do background or credit checks that normally would be part of the vetting process for long term stays.  I limit the number of nights to 21 to avoid some of the problems that Long Term stays may bring into play. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/805/what-are-some-things-i-should-consider-before-hosting-long-t...

Karyo0
Level 4
Manchester, United Kingdom

Short term stays are generally much more respectful of your property. They have come for a reason, not to 'live' in your accomodation so the wear and tear of your property is really minimal. - There is more work involved with short term but the earning potentiol is considerably more so it really is swings and roundabouts.    

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Regardless of the legal issues - someone staying longer than a week begins to behave and act like a lodger - is that what you want and are comfortable with?

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

When you start as a host, having short term rentals is the way to go in my opinion. This lets you refine the experience, test out your hosting skills, and also means you will not be stuck with less than stellar guests for an extended period of time. Having a variety of guests lets you see the diversity of people who choose to be Airbnb guests. After a few hosting experiences you are better able to discern who will be a good fit for your situation. Hope this helps 🙂

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Yu1 @Karyo0@Donna37@Gerry-And-Rashid0@Clare0

What did u decide Yu?

Ive been contemplating this. I had an enquiry for a month and I thought - awesome, less cleaning and fielding enquiries. BUT then I thought, is my space really ideal for that length of stay? Have these guests really thought through what living in a "hotel room" (no kitchen sink or oven and limited storage) would be like? Surely I'm more likely to get a bad review? I can wow people with my fresh faces smile for a few days, but maybe I can't keep up appearances for a whole month?? 

@Roz4 since I am in California, I limit my stays to 21 nights.  California law is such that a guest establishes tenancy rights after 28 nights...to much hassle to evict.