Long term renter wants to do there own cleaning.

Jess155
Level 2
Bozeman, MT

Long term renter wants to do there own cleaning.

Hello, I am new to hosting.  In fact, our first guest will be a long term renter.  I sent her a little letter stating that I would come and clean once a week, and launder any linens she needs to be laundered.  She stated she is very clean and would be happy to clean for us.   I am sure she is a clean guest, but I want to set up presedent for all other guests.  Is it asking too much to tell them I will clean once a week?  

9 Replies 9
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jess155

Write in house rules: MANDATORY light cleaning and towels change will be set approximately 1x /week.  I have it because I want to check if everything is ok and under control.  This is not negotiable.

Hotels do the cleaning and inspect the room every single day, right?

Right! I used to work at hotel so I wanted to make sure I wasn't being to hard.  It was extended stay and we always checkefcevery 3 days.   Thanks for your input!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jess155,

I allways ask  "long term stay" guests what they prefer, most of them like to clean themself and change the bedlinnen (which i then only provide).  I even give a discount when to do so, after all less work for me !

BTW i rent rooms and  shared facilities like bathroom etc. are still cleaned by me.

But if you insist to clean as being the normal procedures in your accomodation, nothing wrong with that. It's your property and your rules !

Have you ever had someone ruin something because they didn't clean properly? Like the shower taking forever to clean?  I relize might be over anxious!

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Branka-and-Silvia0

Thanks for your advise, it's great to put that in writing in the house rules.

I haven't thought of that until you said it 🙂

I had a guest inquiry just this week about if I do long term stays and when I messaged her back and

after I thanked her how nice it was of her to consider our studio for her stay - I explained that yes I do. But I do have conditions and one of them is I do spot cleaning and change bed linens once a week.

She changed her mind. She was not interested anymore.

The way I see it I dodge a bullet there.

Right.  I think I am going to stick my guns.   If she pulls out I dodge a bullet.

@Jess155

That's funny 😄

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jess155  What a cute private studio guest house.  What is the long term duration for this guest?  Are you looking at a month or two or a year?  Once someone spends more than 30 days as a renter, in most states they are granted the rights of a tenant.  In that case, there has to be notification of entrance into the private rental space.   Are you sure you want to start in the business with a long term renter?  You have virtually no rules or expectations in your listing, so it might be a good idea to start with a short term guest.   Also, be sure to be aware that Air BNB payout and cancellation policies for long term are different than short term.  Welcome to the business!!

As far as I can tell Montana doesn't have many tenets rights.  And iIbelieve it is just a 24 hr notice. She wanted to book a month at a time so she really wontwobe staying longer then 30 days.  I am also asking what day she wants me to come and clean . We will see if this will be a good thing or not.  😀  She is coming Thursday so for now it's a go!