Long term stay guests requesting additional items not in listing

Jasmine343
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

Long term stay guests requesting additional items not in listing

Hi guys, so I’ve been hosting Airbnb since April of this year and have had nothing but great reviews.  All of my stays so far have pretty much been short stays except for this one.  My place is for up to four people, this reservation was booked for only 2 guests.  They initially booked 31 days but have extended to 44 after their arrival.  They are friendly to deal with but I’m having an issue with how much they are requesting from me.  It started before they arrived, I’ll list out the requests here

Before arrival - a third chair for when their son would visit (luckily we had 3 but it just wasn’t pictured)

Before arrival - they asked for a nespresso machine. I simply said “I do not have one to provide you but can pick one up for them if they would like to order it”

After arriving day 2 or 3 - a third wine glass for their son when he visits, I ended up purchasing a pack of six and dropping it off for them as I figured I best have more than two since I rent to up to four people.  ( I also dropped them off an extra key since there was only one)

And now today, about a week in, they’ve asked me to purchase a citrus juicer and an extra bath robe.  I have one bath robe in there that was the owners, she didn’t want it anymore so I figured I’d leave it for guests to use as a bonus, it’s not in the listing description or the pictures.  And the juicer, sure I may purchase that because it is an item guests on occasion may want to use, but it’s not a necessity

I’m annoyed with the amount of requests already, and so this time when they asked for the juicer and the robe I said “unfortunately I do not have another robe or a juicer to give you”

His response was “I find it a little mean on your part that there is no bathrobe and a citrus press given the length of the rental”

Im not sure how to proceed, yes they have spent a fair bit of money to rent the space, however I don’t feel I need to be purchasing them things that aren’t in the description.  Frankly I feel they are acting a bit entitled, and I’m annoyed that they have this expectation.  (Their profile has 7 good reviews, there was no mention of anything like this, they also are from France so I wonder if things are different there as far as expectations?) I also feel like I have been accommodating already, it’s not like I’ve shut down all their requests, but maybe I should have from the beginning!

Im trying to think of a polite way to tell them that I won’t be purchasing them items beyond what’s in the listing description. Obviously I don’t want things to go sour but I don’t want to be purchasing everything they want.

Any advice on how I can respond respectfully?

17 Replies 17
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Jasmine343 I always like to have extras of things, particularly those that break. You can buy glasses for as cheap as $1. What if your guests break one? What if you break one during cleaning? You do not want to have to rush to the store for something this silly. Plus guests might not want to wash every single dish right after they use it. I think having just a couple of extra glasses, plates, silverware, towels is inexpensive and benefits both you and your guests. Also, if you host up to 4 people but only have two glasses, are you putting extras away every time? That's silly

Chairs- are you talking about bar stools? I can not see a breakfast or dining room table in the picture. Your place is not that small and you host up to 4 people. Why not have 4 chairs at all times if you have a table? If you only have a bar area, I personally find it odd to have seating for two and a listing for 4. I have seen places that were set up that way while looking to book travel as a guest and always avoided them. I personally rent Airbnb so I can breakfast "at home" with my family. I think you should be clear about this one in the listing.

Nespresso and a citrus press are absolutely ridiculous requests but lets analyze them. Do you provide any kind of coffee brewing equipment? I could not tell from the listing. You should. And if you do, there should be coffee there also. Just buy a big cheap bag. You are saying you try to provide it but that is so not helpful. You either have it or you do not. I do not think you owe anyone a nespresso machine but if you have a regular coffee machine (as you should), the answer is just "Thanks for reaching out, it is a drip coffee machine".  The juicer- do they want a $10 plastic hand squeezing device? If so, just buy one, tie a bow and say Marry Christmas and move on. If they want major equipment, I would not even begin to indulge them. 

I hope this helps. You have a beautiful place

Hi @Inna22  thanks for your thorough reply! 

For glassware and dishes, I do have multiples of everything, it was just the wine glasses that I only had two of and had not been an issue yet, I did go out and purchase a six pack as I mentioned.  And no I’m not putting away glassware for different reservations lol that would be silly 

there is no dining table in the space so it is just the seating at the counter, there are three bar stools( the third arrived after the photos were done) It’s not ideal but I do make it clear to guests who have reservations for more than two, the way I see it if people choose to book its clear in the photos and my explanations what they are signing up for.  (I would like to put a table in but I can’t really see a good space for one without making things quite cramped.  The space is only about 500sqft total) 

There is a regular drip coffee machine in there.  They messaged and asked about what style of coffee machine there was and when I informed them they asked me to get a nespresso which I then said I didn’t have and that was the end of the matter.  I do have it in my listing that there is a coffee machine, you weren’t able to see it? I’ll have to check that out.  And yes there is almost always coffee and tea, in fact I’m not sure it’s ever been out,  i put that wording in there more as a safe guard for myself to not have guests be messaging because they’ve run out of coffee at 7am and are expecting me to bring them some.  I’m offering it as complimentary and not as a “guarantee” if you will.  I only recently put in that wording because I noticed it in a few other listings. Maybe I will need to re evaluate this 

I’m not sure what kind of juicer they are looking for, but I should just purchase the juicer, it is just the combination of requests that has begun to annoy me now.  I guess I can respond and say I’m willing to bring the juicer but cannot provide an extra robe. At this point I’m not sure they’ll be satisfied with that response but I’m not a hotel, the robe was just an item in the space they were welcome to use if they wished.

thank you again for your reply, I hope I cleared up some of the questions/concerns you had!

I wonder, would it be unwise to say something like “I will bring a juicer, however I don’t want to give the impression that I will purchase all requested items, the amenities were listed in the description of the unit,  please keep that in mind going forward. However I will do my best to accommodate you within reason as I would like you to have an enjoyable stay!” 

@Jasmine343  Why would you buy a juicer for them? Please put that thought out of your head. These people are entitled and demanding and they are just going to keep asking for things. If it was crucial for them to have a juicer, they should have looked for a listing that has one, or inquired as to whether you had one before they booked. And they can go out and buy themselves one. You aren't their mommy. 

You need to read them the riot act. "What you can expect to be provided at an Airbnb is what is stated in the ad to be provided. If my place doesn't suit your needs, perhaps we should shorten the booking so you can find another  place that has all the things you want."

If you think that kowtowing to these people's ridiculous demands is going to lead them to leave a great review, you are likely wrong. People  like this are never satisfied- it will be one thing after another.

Don't allow yourself to be disrespected like this. Be polite and friendly, but firm. You don't need to indulge their demands at all.

P.S. I can't see any way that 4 people could sit at that counter to eat. A 500 sq. ft. place with no place to put an eating table and chairs should be listed for 2 guests, not 4. Just becauuse you can cram more people in doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Jasmine343 , remove the one bathrobe. It looks very odd not to have a robe for each guest. Better to have none.

I guess it can be confusing for guests, the way I look at it is that it is an item in there they are welcome to use if they like, and since it’s not mentioned in the ad it’s just a little extra thing.  But maybe you’re right, it’s never been an issue yet so this is the first instance in which I see the downside of only having one.

thank you! 

@Sandra126 Yes, I was going to say the same thing. Either no robes or one per guest. That goes for anything you offer 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

His response was “I find it a little mean on your part that there is no bathrobe and a citrus press given the length of the rental”

And here is the catch - they booked a short-term rental for a mid-term stay.

I have all of them: short-term rentals, long-term rentals and mid-term rentals (1-6 months).

MTR is the most challenging.  Most people expect long-term price but with all the amenities of STR (fully equipped kitchen, bedding, towels...) + extras ( stable fast internet, table and chair for work, laundry machine, oven, vacuum cleaner... to name just a few)

The most important is clear communication - they booked STR with a monthly discount and listed amenities. Nothing more, nothing less.

You did what I would do. Gave them 6 vine glasses, declined the Nespresso machine and juice maker. If they are close by, I would give them a 1$ lemon squeezer but I would not drive across the city to bring it to them.

Thanks @Branka-and-Silvia0 for the feedback.  I hadn’t considered this at all.  I will definitely be keeping this in mind for future mid term rental booking requests 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Jasmine343 
I would try and write something to this effect.

"Thank you so much for reaching out and I really appreciate you staying. Unfortunately the listing doesn't include an espresso machine, but there is a coffee machine with coffee located in the cabinet just above the sink! The bathrobe was something I happened to already have and wasn't using but I also didn't include it in the listing description as I'm not in a position to go out and purchase additional items without increasing the nightly rates. I also try and keep the listing and amenities section as accurate as possible. I'm sorry I don't happen to have some of these items but really appreciate you staying and try and do the best I can to accomodate guest!" 

Its up to you. The request for extra glasses was reasonable, but these guest are being too demanding. There have been other host who have posted that guest like this keep asking for more and more things. Then go out and start buying things for the apartment or house and expect host to reimburse them even for things not mentioned. So wouldn't leave any room for them to interpret that they can go on a shopping spree and expect you to reimburse. But its up to you, and sorry they have to be so difficult to accomodate. By the way if I included a bath robe not a single guest would touch it and would likely even get complaints that clothing was left behind.  

PS.. I might also add at the end. "I do apologize for not having enough glasses and appreciate you reaching out to me." 

You could include a $20 gift card to a local coffee shop for the inconvenience for not having glasses or enough chairs with an explanation, that you are doing the best you can. It looked like you could fit in an additional table. I found a great deal on marketplace that's counter top height and bar stools. Often times guest don't see things in the listing but I think these are just being demanding guest. 

I just have a policy and stick to it. For something like unexpected constrution noise or something, I offer a pass to the county parks, so wouldn't have a problem offering a minor gift card for inconvenince of something that should have been included. and a nice gesture while at the same time giving firm no for buying espresso or juicer. If you do decide to start purchasing them appliances, make sure its clear they aren't to take them with them and don't be suprised if they keep requesting more and more things.  

Pss.. many host have also said giving guest a refund increases chance of getting dinged. When I stated out I had lower rates and there was unexpected construction noise across the street. Guest messaged but also understood it was out of host control. I had no idea they would be attembling metal shed. I still used $40 on my own as good will but she gave me 4* for accuracy because shampoo had run out, previous guest took it and didn’t have time to get more. Since then just include the pass for the couny park and a gift basket or something with gift card might be good idea only for lidgit oversight. 

Thanks @John5097 

definitely some good things to consider! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Jasmine343  I agree that if you are listing the place for 4 there should be enough seats for 4, and glasses for 4 as well.  So, you might want to consider at least changing your maximum to 3, and if not, making sure there is seating/dishes to accommodate 4 guests.

Asking for a nepresso maker and then demanding a juicer is a jerk move.  Do not under any circumstances buy these people a juicer because next week they will want a rice cooker and then after that an electric grille and on and on.

I would tell them very nicely and professionally that if an amenity isn't noted on the listing, then it is not provided and that you are unable to purchase small appliances for their specific needs.

I would apologize about the glasses and thank them for pointing it out.