Look for tips/ideas for special touches

Kristen21
Level 2
Ellicott City, MD

Look for tips/ideas for special touches

I have an apartment that is about 10 minutes away from my home. I'm looking for any tips that make adding those special touches a little easier. When I first started, I would leave muffins and water bottles for my guests, but it became hard to manage for me. I do a lot of the work on my own, so stopping by the store before I went to clean my unit added time and expense I don't always have to spare. Any tips to streamline the special touches? Do you think it makes a difference in your bottom line? I'm currently 95% booked and I'm a Super Host. I don't know if the added expense is going to bump my income up enough to make it worth it.

Thoughts?

6 Replies 6
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Kristen21 even though I add special toches it does nothing for me in terms of reviews, and I too plan on stop giving extras. Some guests will be satisfied with only the things that are listed and others will be unhappy no matter what you give them. So it is not worth the extra cost. If I find some guests really kind I go in the middle of their stay and give them a complementary bottle of wine, I plan on only doing that from now on.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aw lovely topic @Kristen21, it is great to hear you are looking for some extra little tips. 

You might also like to take a look at this great discussion 'Going above and beyond', as there are really creative ideas. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I don't put any perishables.  I buy things in bulk so I don't have to go to the store each time.  Chocolate bars, microwave popcorn, bottled water, K-cups, etc.   We also put fresh flowers, but often go with carnations because they will last well over a week, sometimes two.  Although we're thinking of switching to silk flowers.

Charlie159
Level 2
St Paul, MN

I leave water in the fridge, coffe, tea, non-dairy creamer, and sugar and sweetener for my guest, all non-perishables.  Some guests use them, mostly the water,  some don't touch any of it.  I am not sure I would get any better reviews by providing more, but there is no way to tell.  The only specific comments are usually about the place itself and how much they like the bouquet of fresh flowers,  so I think I will continue with that 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristen21  As Ned and Laura said,  buy non-perishables in bulk, keep them at your home so you can grab what you need easily, without having to stop at a store. A bowl with some small wrapped chocolates, some snack bars, stuff like that. You could also pick up a box of some little decorative note cards, and leave a personal note on the table for guests, just changing the names each time. "Hi, XXX and YYY, Welcome. I hope you had an easy journey and hope you find everything you need here to be comfortable. Don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything." 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kristen21

I think special touches can make all the difference. Definitely buying in bulk helps. I put fancy mini chocolates on the bedside table. Two water, two juices, and two local beers in the fridge. I also leave some light snacks if I have some on hand. My favorite “treat” by far is fresh flowers! I have a bunch of colorful mini bud vases that I scatter around on different surfaces with a flower sprig or two in them. Usually, I start with a full bouquet of flowers and transfer them to the mini vases as some start to wilt. This way they last quite awhile and for a few separate reservations. I’ve even been known to “borrow” a flower or two from my neighbor’s garden. Guests are so overjoyed by that single flower.