Looking for some advice on guests.

Looking for some advice on guests.

We had a reservation for guest with 2 people in the party. They checked in, and at around maybe 10 pm they left in their car. There car hasn’t been back at all, and I sent message at 10 am asking the guest if his stay was comfortable and at what time does he want to check out. He never responded. Checkout time is 12 PM

It is now 1:20 PM and I never received a response so I knocked on the door multiple times, and no response, so I unlocked the door and went in. They have left, but the problem is I don’t even think they stayed. The bed looks like no one has slept in it. The only thing that was a bit unsettling was the fact they dumped toilet paper in the toilet and they didn’t flush the toilet as it still had a bit of urine. Other than that, there was nothing out of place, and it’s like no one stayed.

My question is what am I going to expect from this guest? I’m thinking I’m going to get either a bad review or a request for refund, but of course I can’t really see anything wrong with the place, it’s clean. Has anyone had experience with customers like this who stay one night and just leave in the night?

They only paid for one night, I’m not quite sure why someone would take a night and not stay.

Any ideas would be a great help!! Thanks!

3 Replies 3
Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Well, I have had guests that made the bed perfectly before they left and it seemed as though they did not stay.  i have even had guests wash their own towels and fold them back on the rack.  I actually had to ask them if they washed the towels so I would know if I had to wash them.  I have also had guests whose plans changed after they checked in and never stayed the night.  Maybe they hooked up at a bar or stayed late at a party and decided to sleep there instead of drive home, who knows.  Whatever the reason, you still get paid.   Kinda gross they didn't flush, but people can be forgetful I guess.  Don't stress too much about their review.  If you did your best to make them comfortable thats all you can do.

What you say is very reasonable. Thanks for your advice! Hopefully the guest had a good stay, however limited it may have been.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Also, If they hated the place for whatever reason and left they would have contacted Airbnb and demanded a refund.  This does happen for time to time I hear.  If the place was dirty or not as promised, like if the listing says it has air conditioning and it's broken or it says there is a pool but guests aren't allowed to use it, they are within their rights to leave and request a refund.  Sometimes guests try and scam the system using this by making up a problem after several nights.  But you would have heard from airbnb immedietly if that was the case so I wouldn't worry about it.