Loophole to fight short term rental law

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Loophole to fight short term rental law

Hello,

I am currently fighting Sarasota county on short term rental laws.  Siesta key is a vacation destination and they are only allowing 30 days rentals at this point.  Wouldn’t it be not really a rental if I charged basically nothing for the rental and I only charged the cleaning fee?  $10 is the min you can charge for a night but that would go towards a gift card. Any thoughts? 

83 Replies 83
Mo-and-Don0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

All quiet since city council member tried to bring it up last year.  State seems to want to get into it.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not.  Probably since Naples pased a 6 month rental min limit this year.

Laurie326
Level 1
El Segundo, CA

I live in ca...in a city called Manhattan Beach.  They have done the 30 day plus restrictions here too.  I live in my home.   And since I can’t afford my property taxes anymore I’ve been renting out a single bedroom.  It’s really helped.  And the city here is scared that short term renters are ruining the city.   There have been a few parties in rentals where neighbors get angry. But when the teenager across the street from me- who lives here- has a Wild party I call the police they come out and it stops.  what is the difference????  

What really frustrates me is that the short term renters I’ve been getting our people that love our beach community but can’t afford the high priced ticket to live here or to even stay in a local hotel. My home offers an option to them. And somewhere in my head I’m feeling there must be some constitutional right that I have to offer them space in my home.

Laurie326
Level 1
El Segundo, CA

Why doesn’t Airbnb help???

Hillary17
Level 1
Winter Park, FL

I’m having the same issue here in Winter Park Fl (orlando) with this 30 day minimum rental. Received my second violation letter.  I lived in this house for 12 years that I now rent out. . My guests are all lovely quiet people who don’t have parties and a million cars which would happen if I rent it out to long term rentals. And my property has never looked better as we keep it up! Plus the city is making $$$ and getting additional revenue from my guests spending money! I don’t get it. 

Jo512
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

I just got shut down by the county period. Apparently I am zoned to not be able to host for ANY amount of time. I am near I-75 and Proctor east of the interstate. A nosy neighbor turned me in because a family of different race than she came out of our driveway and she didn’t like it. I’m so angry right now. It has devastated us financially as we are looking to retire soon and my husband has a degenerative spine disease and this was our main source of income. The gentleman at the county was very kind, however , and told me to write gov desantis as he was going to try to overturn county governing on short term rentals. In July. 

Please join with me in fighting this. 

Did you write Desantis? Any response? How can I find out more info? Stressing'. 

Any success in fighting these county regulations? We are super hosts with Airbnb and have met wonderful people doing it. Not to mention the lovely people we have stayed with in our travels.   Our guests always respect our property and our neighborhood.  We are always home with the guests.  We have no other income in our retirement. Any response from the Governor?  

Jennifer1846
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

I NEED HELP with this situation as I have to go to court and was fined steeply by the city and can't afford an attorney. Any suggestions? Please. 

I’m so sorry to hear your news.

i wish I could help, but I’m looking for clarification myself.

Do you have a clear understanding of the county laws regarding the 30 day terms and advertisement regulations?

i was recently told that merely advertising a residential property for less than the 30 day term is a violation and can get you fined.

Hi Jennifer! 

Just wondering how things are going for you with the city/county. I am so sorry to hear this and freaking out myself as we are just about to put a place up on Airbnb. 🙈

Betsy16
Level 3
Sarasota, FL

If anyone is interested, I am a Superhost and host and mange 8 Airbnb properties in Sarasota.  I would love to take over yours.

*sensitive information hidden*

Hey Betsy,

Do you have a clear understanding of the county laws regarding the 30 day terms and advertisement regulations you could share?

i was recently told that merely advertising a residential property for less than the 30 day term is a violation and can get you fined.

How do I get in touch w u?

I would be interested in using your services.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

If any Code Enforcement Officer were to show up at my stay I would ask for their search warrant.