Loophole to fight short term rental law

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Loophole to fight short term rental law

Hello,

I am currently fighting Sarasota county on short term rental laws.  Siesta key is a vacation destination and they are only allowing 30 days rentals at this point.  Wouldn’t it be not really a rental if I charged basically nothing for the rental and I only charged the cleaning fee?  $10 is the min you can charge for a night but that would go towards a gift card. Any thoughts? 

83 Replies 83
Mimma6
Level 2
New York, US

Hi- just came across this forum ... !

We purchased a home in Sarasota - OUTSIDE of City limits in Feb 2019 - as a Vacation Home for us when down in FL & to rent out as AirBnb when we are not using it .. only to find out afterward by our Property Manager who is very well versed in the Zoning laws, that anything WITHIN the City Limits of Sarasota County has an 8 Day minimum on rentals..    Anything OUTSIDE of Sarasota City limits has a "Once a month" rental law.. 

We are just below Stickney Point off Tamiami & found out we are a  "Once a month Rental minimum "

I will be more than happy to pony up if there are enough of us to  fight this ... Has anyone heard ANYTHING ?

Attn FL residents- the state is now taking up the issue of short term rentals.  Check out Florida senate bill SB1128 and the same bill in the Florida house HB1011.  Call your representatives to voice your opinion. 

Both bills died

Rachel. Do you happen to know if the sarasota county and city statutes were adopted before June of 2011. Those bills are awesome for us but they stipulate that measures adopted before that date are not effected by these bills. 

Is there a local group addressing this?

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Lilibeth8
Level 1
Sarasota, FL

GREETINGS:

IS IT LEGAL TO RENT UNDER 30 DAYS  IN South Gate AS WELL ?

Hi Lilibeth! Southgate is split. Depending on what your address is, you may be in City limits or County Limits. Feel free to send me a text and I'll see where you're at. 

Davida McDonald, P.A. Realtor®

Greco Real Estate

c: **

e: **

DavidaMcdonald.Com 
**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Following this because I’m having same issues in Gurneville CA.  I thought about changing to “Couch Surfing”  to get around these ever restricting Big Bother Laws  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Chad-Jason0 @Evangeline-and-Aaron0 @Lilibeth8 @Mimma6 @Kimberly172  and others, here's an interesting update you may like to share among your community to capitalise on re short term rentals, whilst in New South Wales it's a 21 day limit and in your area it's 30 the legislation is probably comparable.

Use it to your advantage.

Fears raised about loopholes to Sydney Airbnb Limits

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/fears-raised-about-loopholes-to-sydney-airbnb-limits-20190916-p5...

All the very best

Central To All Home and Location

Remuera, Auckland, New Zealand

(PS New Zealand is not a part of Australia however we are good close neighbours a short flight away & like to try to do good across the world!!)

Helen- thanks so much for your response .. it is not a LIMIT to how long we can rent - but a MINIMUM Stay of renting out our Homes.. 

A I am located outside the City Limits of Sarasota- Zoning laws state that I can only rent my House Once a month .. which means that if a renter wants to come in for only a week or two .. I would then be obligated to REMOVE / BLOCK out my calendar for the REMAINDER of the Month, Showing only ONE Renter for the month...   Hence complying with the Once a Month rental Zoning Law.      

***  Group - does Anyone else in Sarasota hear of any changes ? ***

Attn FL residents- the state is now taking up the issue of short term rentals.  Check out Florida senate bill SB1128 and the same bill in the Florida house HB1011.  Call your representatives to voice your opinion.

Thank you for posting this. Looks like SB1128 passed the first round in the senate.

Davida36
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Hi all! I have read several responses here regarding Sarasota, FL short - term (Airbnb) rules/regs. I live and work in Sarasota as a Realtor since 2013 and have seen the changes in the rental restrictions. I work heavily with investment buyers that purchase properties with the intention of renting them out on Airbnb or longer term.  Sarasota County is extremely strict about its leasing restrictions. In 2019 Sarasota County Commissioners approved a new code enforcement amendment that now allows a fine of up to $5000 to be imposed for violations within Residential Single-Family Zoning (RSF). Keep in mind if there is an HOA in place that has different rules (EX- 3-month minimum 4x per year), that trumps the County minimum which is currently (30 days or 1 calendar month). There is an exception for (RMF) Residential Multi-Family Zoning that allows for "less than 30-day rentals" on the Barrier Islands Only (Siesta Key, Casey Key, Manasota Key). All other areas zoned RMF, are subject to the 30-day rental restriction.

Sarasota "City" has different rental rules than Sarasota County. You are able to rent your property weekly (technically= 7 days x 24 hrs + 1 minute). 

This information is VERY important to know when purchasing a property in Sarasota County! Most Realtors are unaware of the rules, so be sure to ask questions and do some research yourself. 

If you are in the area or moving to the area, I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Hope this helps!

***For a list of up to date properties in City or County Limits that DO allow short-term rentals (less than 30 days), contact me below OR text "AIRBNB" to *sensitive information hidden*

Airbnb hides personal information (for safety reasons I'm sure) so to contact me: *sensitive information hidden*

the method to contact you is not showing up, it says sensitive info hidden