Loophole to fight short term rental law

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Loophole to fight short term rental law

Hello,

I am currently fighting Sarasota county on short term rental laws.  Siesta key is a vacation destination and they are only allowing 30 days rentals at this point.  Wouldn’t it be not really a rental if I charged basically nothing for the rental and I only charged the cleaning fee?  $10 is the min you can charge for a night but that would go towards a gift card. Any thoughts? 

83 Replies 83
Elsid1
Level 2
Fort Lee, NJ

Bumping old post. But what if you send a month to month lease agreement to the guests that they sign which states they can break the lease anytime without penalty.

Wouldn’t  this legally circumvent any of these dumb laws?  They had a lease for a month they decided to leave after 2 days.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's a question for your lawyer to answer @Elsid1  but I would have thought you wouldn't be able to get away with such an obvious work around . 

Patrick2516
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Do any of you all use the app Nextdoor? It is basically Facebook for a smallish area of neighbors. On the 34231 area code of this app the neighbors are going nutso about AirBNB and how to shut us down. I have submitted an application to AirBNB to be a Host for this community because I have a friend who is running for county commissioner. He said we have to band together to offer reasonable solutions from more than just one voice (like Chad said in the opening of this forum). Anyway, takes a couple weeks to get this approved with AirBNB and as soon as it is I will see if we can get together in person or online. Glad I saw found this forum! 

@Patrick2516  Interested in talking with anyone about about fixing the crazy Sarasota restrictions.

Linda

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]

I live in area 34231 There is a air bnb next door...it has been HELL the last month !!! Loud music and noise all weekend.  I'm  sick of it 

Carrie470
Level 1
Winter Garden, FL

If rentals are only allowed for 30 days, how come you can still rent air BBs in Sarasota for less than that?

I own a gated community in Siesta Key with Single family homes.  We currently have 5 homes built and I own the HOA.  Can i as the "HOA" dictate that 7 day (weekly) rentals are allowed within our community?

Robert7086
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

We have started a Facebook group where we can work together on these types of problems. Sarasota Short Term Rental Association

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1613805252363908