Loophole to fight short term rental law

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Loophole to fight short term rental law

Hello,

I am currently fighting Sarasota county on short term rental laws.  Siesta key is a vacation destination and they are only allowing 30 days rentals at this point.  Wouldn’t it be not really a rental if I charged basically nothing for the rental and I only charged the cleaning fee?  $10 is the min you can charge for a night but that would go towards a gift card. Any thoughts? 

83 Replies 83
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

The problem is that the city / county will most likely fine you, then send the debt collection people, then take you to court etc. maybe you win, maybe you don't. But is the struggle worthwhile ?

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Yeah I agree it would be a struggle and a pain in the butt but I just thought it was just a quick way around it as I am working on getting things changed here.  Not sure if technically how it would be in a legal stand point as there is not a lease or agreement and if the county comes to ask the guest they will say they did not pay anything for it.  Thanks for the feedback for sure.

10$ is still charging, there's no difference between charging $300 a night or $10 a night. If Airbnb allowed $0/night then I think you would be on to something. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Hi Chad, any update on the changing of this law in Sarasota County? 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Chad-Jason0: We are in Sarasota (Hudson Bayou) but have not heard about a 30 day minimum to rent. Are you in an HOA or condo? If so that makes sense. I was under the impression that Siesta Keys short term rental rules were based on only one (1) short term rental inside a 30 day period. Were you turned in by a neighbor or something?  I'm sure January through April you would have no issue booking 4 week minimum stays.

Nice place btw.

https://siestasand.net/feature-five-8-17/

Chad-Jason0
Level 2
Sarasota, FL

Hi there and thanks!  Yes they are cracking down on everyone now within Sarasota county.  I went in front of the county and spoke this week about it.  I am being told I neee to even change my advertising.  The county lady told me she has over 50 right now and more to come for these letters.  I would like to Gather more to talk at the county.  This law was in place with data stating there are mainly full time residents on siesta key.  This data is from 1996 and they no longer have this data.  Also they have accepted 978k from Airbnb alone this year for last years rentals.  However this is illegal or dirty money as it is mainly coming from “illegal rentals”.  If you would like to speak or know others as well, let me know!  Thanks! Chad

Hi @Chad-Jason0,

I'm considering becoming a host in eastern Sarasota County, but am wondering if it's worth it. I posted a question in this community but haven't received any replies yet. Do you have any more info or updates on your particular issue?

Thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura,

We have an apartment on East Bahia Vista, near Benderson Park.  We are always booked.  

I think you should list your place, not everyone is looking for the beach scene.  There are pastors and teachers and people who want a quiet place to relax and regroup.  It doesn’t cost anything to start.  

Hello Betsy, 

I was wondering how do you rent and get around the 30 day rule in sarasota county?

Hey Chad,

We just got a visit from the County, that someone “anon” called the county and complained about our AirBnB. 

We live right off Stickney Bridge, a 10 min walk to Siesta Beach, in a neighborhood with NO HOA and no neighborhood council. 

I think a neighbor or old pissed off renter called two days in a row.

The County visitor told us of the 30 day rule and the all records could be court requested. This just really posed me off. We bought the property because of the connected suite. 

What should I be worried about and should I look for a long term rental, breaking all my future AirBnB rentals? 

Any input will help!

David

Did you ever get any traction on this? I’m interested in talking. 

Hey I know this is an old thread, any new updates on Sarasota county? I’d like to have an Airbnb on my property! 

Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Chad-Jason0: Yes keep us in the loop please. I found this recent article and Hagen Brody has it right. We have talked with him about this in person a few times as this is particular "host setup" as it was out formula. When looking for a home we knew we wanted to do an Airbnb so we made it a point to find a home with a guesthouse because we knew down the road the city or county would get a stick in their butt about short-term rentals. It also gives us and our neighbors (they know we run an Airbnb) the security of knowing guests will stay in check with us around. We do not rent our guesthouse if we are not on property.

"Brody is focused on the possibility of permitting a specific type of short-term rentals. He thinks it’s reasonable to allow “host-occupied rentals” — basically, the rental of a portion of the property where a homeowner or long-term tenant resides. He thinks that could let residents add an income stream and avoid a scenario in which homes become full-time rental properties." 

https://www.yourobserver.com/article/sarasota-short-term-rentals-airbnb-neighborhood-regulations

"find a home with a guesthouse because we knew down the road the city or county would get a stick in their butt about short-term rentals"

Hi Barry and Lera,

So what's the difference here between having a "guesthouse" on your property (is that the same as a Mother in Law suite?) or hosting a room in the main building?

Is there a difference? Would it be better to have a guest house on the site that we could do short term rentals? Can we do that? 

I'm currently in the market and looking to purchase around Sarasota but not sure to go for it or not - could be issues down the line.

I feel for everyone who has relied on this as finanical support - so not fair!!!!