Loosing superhost status is so easy, and gaining it is so hard!

Miroslav0
Level 2
Belgrade, Serbia

Loosing superhost status is so easy, and gaining it is so hard!

Hi everyone

Glad to be a part of this great community and Airbnb host, but there is something so hard about it. It is the status of superhost. I gained one really fast and I was so happy. It was at my beginning few years ago. And I held that status for very long and one thing happened suddenly and everything was lost. Guest who wanted to come to my apartment and made reservation earlier on the day of arrival decided to change apartment and go somewhere else. He call me and ask me to cancel reservation and I ask him why. He didn't explain much, just said he want to go somewhere else. I said couldn't you cancel your reservation, he said he couldn't and that I should do that because it is easier for me. I was so naive and young, but being a good host I listened guests need and called Airbnb to cancel reservation. Right after that I loosed my superhost status and automated message about this cancellation showed on my property and it is STILL on my listing as first review for everyone to read. I'm really mad about this, it's been couple of years from that event and nothing changed. Probably I will never have superhost badge again, ever, and first thing everyone would read when coming across my listing would be this, for the rest of my life. I believe this is so unfair and unjustified. I feel hopeless!

Does anybody has similar situation, I would love to hear your thoughts?

20 Replies 20

If that was your first review on that listing, I would've just deleted that listing and made a new identical one.

Hi Henley, thanks for joining.

It was not first review, at that time I had no idea that it would last for so long, otherwise would have done that!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

That’s terrible! I know it has been awhile, but can you call them, explain and ask to remove?

Hi @Inna22, I did explain several times but with no reasonable response

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Miroslav0 I do not see that cancellation notice on any of your listing pages. Which listing? Also, a cancellation only disqualifies you for super-host for one year.

https://www.airbnb.com/superhost

Hi @Lisa723, thanks for the clarification of superhost status. Automated review is still there at listing: Apartment Awakened Serenity Zlatibor. It is still first as you can see on the picture:Screenshot_20180923-072224.jpg

Joseph272
Level 3
Signal Hill, CA

I’m sorry this happened. You were supposed to ask the guest to create the cancellation, not you. If you cancel it will be a mark against you as you found out the hard way. Next time ask the guest to make the cancellation and if you agree to refunding all, part or none of the fees based on your cancellation policy. Good luck!

Hi @Joseph272. Thanks, I did ask him to cancel it, but he said he couldn't. I was naive and did it instead of him. Now I wouldn't do that no matter what

That counted against you until last month. If you meet all other criteria you should be under review right now for October 14, no?

Debbie96
Level 8
Oxford, United Kingdom

I've had 2 guests that asked me to cancel for them to 'save them the fees' that AIRBNB would inevitably charge.        No way!       It's galling.    They blocked a potential booking from someone else and ask me to use my valuable time and put my reputation at risk.    Guests should handle their own dealings with AIRBNB --- not my business.

Totally agree @Debbie96, now I would also handle it the way you did!

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Miroslav0:  The cancellation review may show up first for you when you are checking, but it doesn’t show up first for me or apparently @Lisa723. I know losing Superhost status sucks for you, But your other reviews are pretty good so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. There are some of us that may never make Superhost status  because of the newer  user on Airbnb, the entitled, I want everything just so, should have stayed in a hotel guest. Just keep providing a great experience for your guests and hopefully that will be it’s own reward. 

Thanks so much @Ava30 for that explains I understand a bit better now how that works!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Miroslav0 @Ava30 the order may differ according to the nationality of the viewer. Here is what I see. So if the cancellation just over one year ago was the only obstacle to super-host, you should get it back in the next round of evaluation.

Capture.JPG