Losing payout due to guest canceling from Hurricane

Beth121
Level 2
Waxhaw, NC

Losing payout due to guest canceling from Hurricane

So if a guest decided to cancel last min due to the Hurricane, is it fair to lose that payout as a host? I am in (central) NC but not in an evacuated area and our airport is open. We’re not even expected to get any rain until Sunday, which is the day they’d be checking out. Just doesn’t seem fair. 

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

On the surface of it as you describe, @Beth121, it would seem unfair to the host.  However, we don't know if their flight or travel plans were affected by the evacuation and cancelled flights.  Do you?  

All flights into our city have been up and running. The guest is listed as living in Costa Rica, which isn’t on the path either. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Beth121  I understand your frustration, but I think you're out of luck on this one, which is definitely an extenuating circumstance. Whether your airport is open or not, there are dire warnings for all over the Carolinas, and other states, as I'm sure you're aware, regarding flooding, landslides, etc. No doubt there's some guests who are just using it as an excuse to cancel penalty-free, but I imagine most are legitimately concerned about traveling anywhere in the vicinity right now.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Not only that, 1.5 million people are evacuating and they all have to go somewhere.  'Somewhere' is going to be absolutely full up of stressed out people. Not probably a good place for a vacation.  Perhaps your guests are concerned about how the communities are going to manage over the next few days.  I  think it is responsible to avoid traveling toward a disaster area, leaving accommodations, flights, rental cars and other necessary services available for those who can't avoid being there.   

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Beth121

Your post very Unfortunately makes you come across as entitled.

Sorry but you appear to come across as placing more value on a couple of bucks rather than be concerned about the safety of guests.

It all sounds very much a case of First World problems and makes you appear selfish.

First World Problems" are frustrations and complaints that are only experienced by privileged individuals in wealthy countries. It is typically used as a tongue-in-cheek comedic device to make light of trivial ...

What happens when you have a roof over your head, a comfortable bed, and a steady paycheck? These everyday issues, that in perspective seem (and are) ridiculous, yet still manage to drive one absolutely crazy. The most relatable and funny first world problem memes: