Loss of Superhost status

Samuel-And-Ragnhild0
Level 2
Thézan-lès-Béziers, France

Loss of Superhost status

Do you feel unfairly treated by Airbnb? We do.

We have held superhost status for a number of months - perhaps years - but lost it last Autumn because we declined an enquiry from a guest who insisted upon bringing with him a dog. On our site we very specifically state that no animals are allowed on the premises.

We feel really unfairly treated and now plan on leaving this service and going over to a different one. There are several. Airbnb has not been responsive.

32 Replies 32
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

declining an enquiry doesn't lose your status. Cancelling a reservation does.

Of course no host should "cancel" a rule breaking guest, ABB should do this for you

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Samuel-And-Ragnhild0,

Decline a booking request or inquiry from a guest will not lead to the loss of Superhost-status.

It will decrease your acceptance rating if you decline too much, but this rating is not considered as an option measured for being Superhost.

So there must be another reason for losing Superhost status. Maybe look in the "progress" section to find out the reason ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Samuel-And-Ragnhild0
Level 2

Thank you Emiel.

I have looked at the Progress section and only find that we had 89% five star ratings and 11% four star ratings. Overall 4,9. No negative ratings at all.

I just do not understand and wish that Airbnb could explain their policy here.

@Samuel And Ragnhild, check out your 'Progress' page. Then click 'Opportunities' and then 'Superhost’ (using a computer/laptop) It will give you your stats and the stats required to be a superhost. 

It does not seem that 89% five star reviews should equate to a 4.9 overall?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Samuel-And-Ragnhild0 There's more that they count beyond the Overall star rating. Did you go down the list of %s required to retain Superhost? 0 cancellations, 80% review rate, etc?

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Samuel-And-Ragnhild0

You have just 3 reviews from August 2018 until now. Maybe you didn't host enough guests or enough days to be eligible for super host status

As @Emilia42 and @Sarah977 said - look at your progress page and see where you failed

Hello Branka & Silvia,

Thank to you, and to all the others, who have responded to my query regarding loss of Superhost status.

Following some suggestions I have looked into the Progress report and found the following:

Number of stays during the last year = 7. Target is 10

Number of nights over the last three stays = 64. Target is 100

So, here we have the reason for us loosing our Superhost status.

As the summer season consists mainly of just July and August, with the possibility of an occassional booking late, Spring or early Autumn, reaching 100 nights per year is all but impossible. Clearly we did do so in 2017, but that was quite exceptional. So, Superhost status is not something we will strive to obtain, as it is virtually impossible for us, here in the South of France.

Kind regards

Samuel & Ragnhild

Samuel-And-Ragnhild0
Level 2

Do you think that might be the reason?

In any case, still unreasonable, as guests do not come during the winter months. This is probably normal for most Airbnb sites. So, losing one's Superhost status every winter is still unreasonable, in our view.

@Samuel-And-Ragnhild0, you must host 10 stays in the past year OR 100 nights over the last 3 stays. Can you find this screen? Do your numbers meet the requirements?

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 4.45.25 PM.png

@Samuel-And-Ragnhild0

I am afraid you lost your Superhost status because you cancelled a confirmed guest reservation.

One of the requirements to retain Superhost status is....you must not cancel a guests booking. Here is the booking you cancelled...

Russel cancellation.png

If it is not possible for a hosting to take place, and we all understand that sometimes this can happen, you must always involve Airbnb and have them attend to relocating or refunding the guest.....you never cancel yourself.

My only hesitation with this is, how long ago you cancelled Russel's booking? If this cancellation was within the past 5 assessment periods (16 months)  then this will be the reason. If it happened prior to the last 16 months you would have lost your Superhost status before now.

The other puzzling thing is that stats rating you gave of 89% 5 star reviews does not equate to a 4.9 rating. That equates to a 4.7 which would put you below the required rating to retain your Superhost.

Sorry this has happened to you, we all work so hard to get these accolades and it seems at times the company fights against us, not for us. ...All the best.

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 nailed it! Quite the detective you are!

Samuel-And-Ragnhild0
Level 2

Hello Robin, and thank you very much for your valued input.

The cancellation to which you refer, occured in 2016, I believe, and was on a different hosting site, which we since closed. Strange that such should have any effect in the Autumn of 2018.

I shall look at the screen which Emilia sent. Perhaps it will reveal the reasoning of Airbnb.

Kind regards

Samuel

@Samuel-And-Ragnhild0  You don't have to "think" what "might" be the reason. As other posters told you, and as Emilia posted the Superhost stats screen, you can see it right there in black and white.

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Emilia42 and @Robin4 🙂 

I also got 89% 5 star ratings and 4,9. I got 259 reviews. The % has been 89% as long as I remember. 

Best, Sandra