Lost Key Charge

Lost Key Charge

My guests lost a set of keys and told me after they checked out. Front door key and 2 pad lock keys . Any input on how much I should fee them?

4 Replies 4
Danny9
Level 10
Palma, Spain

You may want to raise this with the guests AND the Aibnb directly. You will probably need to have receipts to support your claim against their security deposit. 

I have made it part of my House Rules that a loss of the keys  carries on a specified penalty. This is probably a better approach, since you can claim that the guests have accepted your House Rules when booking with you, and that you are hence, entitled to a specific amount of refund. 

The problem with lost keys, etc., is that you may be able to claim the actual out-of-pocket expenses but that your time, work, correspondence, etc. will remain uncompensated. 

People are always more careful with other people's property if they know that they will have to pay for their negligence. 

Danny

Hi, Danny. I'm curious, has Airbnb supported your set fee for a lost key? I have a similar policy in my house rules and am wondering if it's enforcable. I have a $30 replacement fee to cover the cost of keys/keychain and time/gas to go get a new key made, and I really think it should be high enough to prevent people from walking off with the key, like you mention. 😃 I had a guest recently take the key and refuse to pay. Currently waiting decision from Airbnb resolution center to see if they will support my policy/fee as stated in house rules.

Stacey, how did this end up getting resolved?  I am new to hosting and want to implement a similar rule, to cover the cost of re-keying the lock if our key is lost.

Pamela655
Level 1
Highland, CA

So how did you attach the additional costs.