Lost Superhost status

Kegan1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Lost Superhost status

It's really unfair how the superhost status requirements are worked out, I had superhost status last year and lost it after I took an long 3 month booking, which stopped me hosting multiple short bookings to maintain my superhost status. I need another 6 bookings to get my super host status back, I've just taken another 3 month booking. taking these long bookings will stop me reaching my superhost status. Surly that isn't right.

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kegan1  Of course it's not right, if by right you mean logical or ethical. Almost nothing about the criteria is right. We get rated on how many reviews guests left, as if we have any control over whether a guest bothers to leave a review or not. Might as well rate me on whether my guest brushed their teeth today.

I guess as far as the 3 month bookings, I can understand airbnb wanting to see that we are getting a certain number of days booked a year, otherwise we aren't profitable to their platform. But if you're booked, it defies logic that two 3 month bookings wouldn't be just as acceptable as 10 one week bookings.

No one can figure out how these guys come up with this stuff except the ones who come up with it.

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Kegan1 @Sarah977 I sort of get it. It's not about how much money you bring in to Airbnb. If it were, I would be a SuperHost - and I'm not!  One person's opinion in a 3 month period really doesn't give a fair evaluation as to whether you should be rated a 'SuperHost'. That is why they make it a requirement that you have to have a number of ratings - however, you can play the system if you really care. Get your guest to make multiple, smaller bookings and rate you after each stay. Magically you now have 10 reviews. I don't think their system is smart enough to only count one review per guest towards the total...... Personally I would not worry about whether you are or aren't a Superhost. Does it really matter in the big scheme of things?

It does matter in number of bookings from AirBnB.  I had it for three years and just now realized how few AirBnB bookings I have this year after losing it due to people not liking a new property I added. So I removed that property, but not before it did the damage and my 4.9 star property for 4 years does not have superhost now.

The good news is I didn't even notice until today (May 23) because bookings from the other sites filled in all those blank AirBnB days, so really, they're just hurting themselves...

Paskal0
Level 2
Vaughan, Canada

We have a guest who played loud music that made neighbours complain. We tried to call then given phone number was "not is service". We had to talk to AIRBNB to intervene and stop the guest. Now this guest gives us 3* and our average falls below 4.8 just due to one disgruntle guest. One more new guest loved the place and want to visit again but gave 4 * as she thought it was enough.

I don't understand under old standards I had no problem as rule of 10 every 10th guest comes with problems. But to maintain 4.8 is very difficult, at least they should ignore disputed guest rating. 

I am no longer in Super host race as no matter what you do, guests have several profiles and you can't win against them. 

I believe guest's who break house rules and complain is already lodged against them should not be able to write reviews or Atleast their review should not be counted against Super host criteria.

Now that I lost my title I feel free as I do not bother much what my guest has to say so far I do my best. 

Edmond26
Level 2
Manila, Philippines

You are right, why should we play their game, let them play ours

Berna6
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I just lost my super host status.  They sent an email giving telling me this without a reason.

I haven't canceled any bookings and reviews are great,  but I have been hosting a little less during June and July. I don't agree with this policy, I think it is very unfair.

Same thing just happened to me! No explanation at all. According to my dashboard I’ve met all their criteria. If things are slow that’s because THEIR platform Isn’t delivering guests to YOU. In. In no way should we be penalized for a few slow months. This is crazy. I’ve been loyal to airbnb but it’s time to sign up for Booking.com, VRBO, onestay, etc etc. 

Juliet42
Level 2
Manteca, CA

I have been hosting since 2017 and have kept my super host status since. I received an email for the June-July 2022 review period stating I have lost my super host status. The reason provided is I don't have 10 bookings/reviews. I have accepted few long term bookings (3 months) this year. I have stayed an excellent super host for 6 years. I'm still maintaining the standards set by airbnb, but the long term bookings dropped my super host status! This is totally unfair! Airbnb has to reevaluate long time super hosts who have long term bookings on a different scale or NOT promote long term bookings! I hope airbnb comes up with a better solution! If not, I will be looking for other booking platforms soon

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Juliet42 

Juliet, if you have hosted long term stays this past 12 months then that should not have affected your Superhost status. 

The requirement is......10 stays in the 12 month assessment period or......100 nights over the 12 month assessment period.

Superhost requiurements.png

Provided you have had any combination of  Airbnb guests in your listing for 100 days in total over the past 12 months, your Superhost badge would have been safe. Are there any other criteria over the past 12 months that you did not meet?

Cheers.........Rob 

Hello Robin,

I want to upload my super host stat here, but your system won't let me

My overall rating is a 4.9*

Response rate is 100%

Cancellation rate is 0%

Stays is a 9, and your criteria is a 10 (This is where I lost my status after 6+ years!)

My current tenant is booked from April 27th until July 24th as I'm only accepting bookings for 30+ days now. I understand, your cut off period is June 30th. I wonder why the number of stays is showing 24 nights!

I'm not happy with your evaluation criteria. You will have to rethink it so you don't lose dedicated super hosts to other platforms. I appreciate your quick response though!

Thank you

Juliet

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Juliet42 

Juliet, my response was based around your statement that you had 'multiple long term bookings' over the past 12 months.

If you have a current stay that concludes on the 24th July 2022, obviously the program will only include nights in the current assessment period up until June 30th 2022. You can't put 24 nights of the next assessment period into the current one.....that is plainly obvious.

From what you have posted in the next assessment period for the 12 months to 30th September 2022 those additional nights will be credited to you and you may well receive your superhost badge back again!

Cheers.......Rob