Lost my Super Host status but I still think I did the right thing. I think..

Tracie24
Level 7
Washington, DC

Lost my Super Host status but I still think I did the right thing. I think..

So I did a dreadful thing, I canceled a guest reservation.  Yes, I know.  It is the ultimate sin but I really was thinking on the guest when I did it. The trouble- we are having issues with the plumbing in our rental likely caused by the work the city is doing in the street outside our house (not at our request of course). The city is digging up the street in a major way to replace pipes or tanks or something.  As a result the pipes/plumbing in our basement is now

all discombulate. Flooding, backing up and all manner of unpleasentness.  It is have a direct negative effect on the shower and toilet in our rental. 

The city insists that it is not their doing and will take no action until I've had a licensed plumber come to our place (at our expense of course) to snake with a video camera and provide a report.  I have to do that as soon as possbile to address the issue. Well, I was expecting a guest to check-in and didn't want to ruin their visit and didn't expect them to stay in the apartment where the water and or sewage could back up into the apartment (sorry, I know that is way too much gross detail). So I sent them a note letting them know the issue and that I would have to cancel and that I contact AirBnB to let them know and we would find them a new place. I thought it was the right thing to do.

I've never done this before so I thought is only courteous that they should here from me first before I contacted AirBnB. Before can could finish my written notice to AirBnB they guest had already called them and AirBnB had emailed me and left a voicemail.  And my status had changed. Sheesh that was fast. 

I was putting myself in the guests shoes because I use AirBnB when I travel also.  I would rather NOT stay in a place that had an overflowing toliet or plumbers traisping through the space while I was there.  But now I have to pay the  $$ penalty from (which I'm not really bothered by), the $$$ to plumber and I lost my status.  Which I didn't think would bother me as much as it does but I'm a little vexed by that because I think a good host would not put a guest through that situation.

Thouhgts? Was I too hasty to cancel? What would you have done?

10 Replies 10
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tracie24  Yes, of course it was right of you to let the guest know and cancel the reservation. But if you had cancelled by calling Airbnb and explaining that it was an extenuating circumstance and submitted documentation from your plumber, it wouldn't have gone down as a host cancellation. I'd call them back, explain that, and that you didn't want to take a chance on inconveniencing the guest and ask what you need to submit for extenuating circumstances. It sounds like you got one of those clueless CS reps- hopefully you'll get a better one next time.

It's outrageous for you to lose your Superhost status over this.

Thanks @Sarah977 I'll certainly call back.  If they want documentation they can totally have it. The plumber is returning on Saturday so I'll be sure to take photos and send them to AirBnB (they might regret that but it's worth a try). Maybe I should take a photo of the bill  also so they can REALLY feel my pain.  🙂

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

I agree with @Sarah977 

First instance call Customer Services.

Please keep us informed as if this is the way AirBnb wish to treat a host who is working with the guests' best interests at heart then it obviously implies that they would prefer you to deliberately make guests suffer?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tracie24   I also cancelled at the last minute when I woke up the morning a guest was to arrive and I was sick.  I immediately called Air BNB who contacted the guest (I did as well) and required evidence of illness.  I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with the flu which I thought was only a bad cold.  That was the year the flu was actually responsible for young childrens' deaths and the guest was traveling with a 10 year old son.

Once I produced the doctor note, the cancellation review was withdrawn.  However, the guest was allowed to provide a review with a 1 star rating.  Key is calling Air BNB and getting the rep to be your advocate.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

You did the right thing. Im always amazed at how fast guests will call airbnb and get a response and almost in the same instance airbnb calls the host. When a host calls it seems to be a longer que to get anyone on the phone. Superhost status isnt a big deal. We went without for years and survived. The money penalty was a bit harsh. You shouldnt have to pay if you didnt intend to disrupt their stay, but Airbnb doesnt know that until you call.

Good Luck. 🙂

Tracie24
Level 7
Washington, DC

UPDATE:  Thanks to everyone for their advice.  I was able to get a different rep who I sent tons of documentation with photos and was able to get the penalty reversed and my status renewed. All is well!  Thanks again for listening folks.

tdd

Thank God all is well in the end.For future reference, if you encounter a problem with hosting never contact a guest first before Airbnb.Make sure all communications with guest takes place on the platform.We are all learning through experience, folks. Good luck to all and happy hosting.

Michael3014
Level 2
New Bern, NC

I have had two cancellations one was last minute legitimate medical, so no problem.

When the guest texted me that one member of the party was hospitalized I told her to contact Airbnb imediately. 

The second the guest clearly indicated that he had known for a few days that he was going to cancel  but did not tell me until I inquired about ETA.  Had I known a couple of days sooner, I might have gotten another booking.

The real issue here is that too many hosts post their listings on a few platforms including Airbnb, and accept ALL reservations. Then 24h before the arrival pick up the most lucrative one, and declines all others. Too many guests were put in this horrible situation, and Airbnb solution is a slap the wrists of the cancelling host. Did it solve the problem? No. This requires a different handling that is outside the scope of this convo. Now, What do one do against calamatees - TRAVEL INSURANCE. As I wrote in a separate post, Air should offer such products to guests that have to cancel at the 11th hour, as well as hosts. And keep everyone smiling

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

People look at price and reviews. Superhost is an afterthought with guests.