Lost my super host status that I held three times in a row because of one bad review

Lost my super host status that I held three times in a row because of one bad review

Really really pissed.I have been a super host for 3 times running and I lost it in a mere second for a stupid comment by a low life. 

This guy already had my instincts going , I knew he was going to be give me trouble and I was not wrong.

He already was short and ill tempered when I was introducing the place and his replies to me was rude and quite honestly, I thought was an **bleep**. I tried telling him about the area we were in and he refused to listen. They asked if they could leave their luggages behind till 8pm. I said sorry but better not as I had social plans and can not promise to be home in time. Mind you there was no attempt to inform this prior. They had 3 weeks. I even had to ask them twice what time they were coming in, they got the times wrong the first time.

He got annoyed because I asked rubbish to be thrown out when they check out due to past problems with former guests who have left over 40 bottle of beer and nappies and food with holes in the plastics. I had this all stated out in my terms and conditions so if he had read it , it wouldn't be a problem if he chose not to stay.

When he got back to the apartment  not long later, this guy had issues with the wifi and was the first to have such a problem. Instead of working with my instructions how to get on, he made demands to get my own private access. I did not agree to this and tried to give him instructions how to get on the wifi. I did a test run with my own device to make sure it works and even checked the router.

There was no issues with the wifi.

Instead this guy responds to me saying he has travelled around the world , no offense so he knows better and that I probably don't have an ipad or imac to have the compatible devices and that my devices have already saved the passwords. I was annoyed, he was full of assumptions and refused to even listen how to get to step one of my instructions. I do own an ipad and imac and none of them uses that guest network as I have my own. The bull**bleep** story he tells himself because he couldn't figure out how to use the wifi.

I even showed screenshots step by step. He refused to do even one. I said I am happy to come by and help him, . He got home, and it works. I figured the lazy liar just had to reset his own devices. 

He stayed only 2 days but his feedback claims the apartment was filthy and I was the most arrogant demanding host that refused to give service or help and that I did not apologise.

I lost my superhost status as a result.

This is left me fuming because I knew already he was going to be an annoying demanding **bleep**. 

I take pictures before they check in , so I know the state of the apartment was clean. Making comments like place isn't clean annoys the hell out of me and are lies.

I am so pissed because he claims I was demanding with my requests and they didn't know how anything works in the apartment. They made zero moves to ask other than the wifi and for a guy that claims who has travelled around the world can't figure out a washing machine. I had guests who couldn't speak english and knew how to use the wifi and use the washing machine.

All I ask from guests is not to damage and steal things and throw rubbish and communicate to me of any problems or questions. This seems to piss this guy off that I have a set of terms and conditions. Coming from a seasoned host I had make things clear to people because I have things damaged and stolen and even a guest that was peddling drugs from my apartment so yes, I am **bleep** serious about the terms and condition because we have to makes sure we don't disturb other residential neighbours as the laws about airbnb in apartment buildings are getting strict.

For a guy that travels alot around the world and stayed in alot of airbnb places. I am suprised with his level of incompentence to be able to work anything out. He sounds like an idiot only his profession states he is an academic, if he only knew that I had worked in that sector too and I know none of them to be like him. 

The guy really needs to stop bragging about having the experience of travelling around the world when he can't even connect to the wifi or use the laundry  and yes my laundry had the labels - detergent and presoak. He actually says he needed an inventory of what was in the apartment. All he needed do was look around. It is pretty straight forward. He claims he had to play hide and seek. Apparently with himself because I don't know what idiot person has this many issues like he did. I have has zero guests before him with that  same complaints as he has and more so ,each guests were happy to throw out the rubbish. Never a complaint about that request.

This is the first time I have had a lazy idiot bugger of a guest. For someone who has travelled alot, I suggest he starts learning how to read because it seems he doesn't know how to read it in my terms and condition. Can't even organise how to check out. Never assume your host's times is always available , and when you don't make any gesture to plan your time, don't expect a host to give you theirs. 

Serioulsy, check out is at 10am, don't expect someone to let you stay and leave their bags till 8pm , I paid for my time if my plane leaves late. I have never ask a host to do that and always check everything before hand and never booked a place I am not happy with their terms and conditions and yes I have travelled around the world but I have never used that as an excuse for my arrogance. 

If you think I am calm typing this no I am not, as I am sick of people who wants customer service but complain about things coming out of their ass. If it was really that bad he would have been able to complain to airbnb by my supposedly dirty apartment with pictures. But no, there was nothing, just a **bleep**ty bull**bleep** comment that now has ruined my superhost status. I wrote to airbnb and I am advocating for a change in this type of behaviour by **bleep** guests. Especially when it is untrue and coming from a **bleep** of a guest.

37 Replies 37
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dionne2 

The good news is:

- Your profile shows you are stiil a superhost.

- Airbnb is working on procedures to handle "one of" bad reviews, work still in progress:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Airbnb-Answers-Protecting-you-from-one-off-bad-re...

Best regards,,

Emiel

@Emiel1 

it’s strange but on profile I have lost it but not here on the community board. 

I read up on that too but I have also contacted airbnb as I always have my back covered and take before pictures. The guest wants to claim my place is dirty sure no problem I can upload the time stamp pictures of the apartment before he arrived. 

If he made an honest comment about the wifi I can understand but this is a person who was intent with not cooperating and just making demands. 

Sorry but not sorry we have laws in place to prevent bullying from fellow employees and customers same goes on airbnb. Just because someone is paying doesn’t mean anyone gets to bully you into submission. I have had a few abusive guests one even stealing my bed sheets and another was peddling drugs.  I was fortunate that police tracked them and arrested them. 

I have zero tolerance for guests who think they can play mind games. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dionne2 

Yes, on your Airbnb profile indeed no Superhost badge (anymore). I think when logging in again on this community it wll be disappeared here also. I read the review and your comment. It is clear to the world it was not a good experience for both of you ! 

I noticed you did not review the guest (which btw has excellent reviews).

Best regards,

Emiel

Yes I did read his reviews too and they were good. 

So of course its a case of he said she said only I have proof of the state of the apartment and our conversation regarding the wifi issue and his refusal to follow instructions can be read easily by airbnb. The same can be said about what he claims about me. I have also have good reviews only I haven’t placed a review on him. 

I had a similar experience once when a guest lost bed sheets even when he acknowledge moving them and he too had good reviews. Just saying anyone is capable of not being great at one point. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Dionne2 

My alarm goes off every time my guests arrive in a bad mood, impatient or angry for some reason (maybe they had a fight with friends or family) I know when they arrive unhappy, they will stay unhappy and blame me for their miserable holidays.

I don't want to teach you how to run your business but here is what I do.

We all know guests often don't read our descriptions and house rules , that's why I have notes on most important places ( like "lock the door" on the entrance, A/C and TV instructions under remote controllers, etc..) and a map with printed house rules and house manual placed on the table so they can't miss it. I also give them a map and a lot of city guides, a printed list of events, recommended restaurants, etc... to help them make the best of their short stay in Zagreb. When they are not bored - they are happy , when they are happy - I get a good review 🙂

When I get a bad review it also makes me angry and I don't reply immediately. I drink a glass of beer, walk my dog in a park,  write a draft, read it, rewrite it, reread it few times within the next few days.... and then I post it.  I don't reply to their reviews because I expect them to read it... I write it for my future, prospective guests. I always try to be professional, short and unemotional in my reply so I don't make more harm than good to my business. It is not easy to write a delicate review or a reply in a foreign language and it is very time-consuming, but I do my best.  I repeat myself:... it's nothing personal... it's just a business...

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

Yep and yep. I have done all that. I have two jobs so I always have to make sure and plan prior. 

That’s why when we first met I do an introduction and allow them the time to ask anything. I always let them know if they have any issues to let me know asap.  

This was a first. 

I made things so clear. Even asking what time they arrive. They initially said 11 pm. I always ask for flight arrival time as it’s more accurate. I had to ask twice and his time was actually 5.30 pm . 

His issue with me was that I wasn’t giving  in to his demands and I was very clear with the rules. I made the rubbish throwing mandatory after so many bad incidents especially after leaving dirty nappies. It is this aftersmell that stays. 

I usually can tolerant small things like guests who do take my umbrella or bottles of sunscreen or leave multiple oil stains by the table. Yes this has happened but seriously when you come across a guest that will just be a plain **bleep**. They are going to be just plain that. An **bleep**. 

If you get a guest that keeps saying and yes he did write this to me. “No offence I have travelled around the world”.  It is like me saying to him “ no offence but I too have travelled around the world and lived in three different country one under a dictator, but I can still work the wifi and be polite to people”. 

His mistake was making a claim with no proof or no reason to complain other than to be spiteful. Now that I can report to airbnb and they certainly will pay heed as it’s obvious this is a common **bleep**ty thing crappy guests like this **bleep** does. Im sure not tolerating that. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

While I know it's a real pain, @Dionne2, the 'golden rule' is not to leave a hissy response to a bad review. The guest will never see it, so all it does is soil your page. And remember, yesterday's review is tomorrow's chip paper (a British saying!).    

@Gordon0 

I rarely get emotional as I usually let airbnb sort it out. I did remain polite when they stayed and made things emotionless on my part so I won’t get provoked. 

I don’t think I made a hissy response, I hope it didn’t sound that way but  maybe a guest will see it differently who knows. But I was clear to clarify a few facts the guest left out to paint a better picture of what transpired. 

He says place was dirty they had to stick to the walls. Like seriously the drama he worded made my place sound like the sewers. If the place was truly disgusting then make a formal complaint and show pictures and leave. I made it very clear I have before pictures with time stamp so there is no way he can back up that bull**bleep**. 

The **bleep**  made up more stories like how unfriendly and arrogant I was. I take personal offence to that because it was him that was unfriendly and arrogant I actually had to take a step back when I tried telling him about the area and his response was like a slap on my face.If anyone read my other reviews there is a huge contrast to saying from unfriendly to very friendly 

Who knows he could be a racist that didn’t like the colour of my skin. Either way my instinct was telling me instantly that Im dealing with a dickhead and I was in for trouble. 

Bottom line is that becareful some guests are just so vindictively nasty they will play dirty at any level. I just never had this level of first class nastiness. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

These nightmare guests certainly test us, @Dionne2, but all you needed to do was let your other great reviews speak for themselves. Your response - in one painful-to-read block - doesn't do you any favours and I'd be asking Airbnb to remove it, and possibly remove the offending review too. 

You'll get over this faster than you can say "next guest!". 

I generally have good guests and guests who at least cooperate and communicate with me with no issues. So I know I won’t always have such bad experience. 

It’s just that the particular guest stood out so clearly as he emitted such strong bad vibes

@Dionne2 your guest sounds like a right royal pain the ar$e & someone I would not want to host. Did you manage to write a review for him to warn other hosts about his lack of manners?

@Rachel177 

Unfortunately I did not as I did not see it as a big deal merely as him being mr fussy cranky pants but after reading his feedback and his personal response it incense me deeply as it was claiming alot of issues that wasn’t mentioned at all or true except the wifi problem and that was because he refused to listen to my instructions. 

From what I gathered it seems like like he was incapable of getting his **bleep** and schedule together and blamed me and the apartment for his bad experience. He was so unprepared for anything and kept changing plans. 

From his feedback it seems despite his claims of his so called experience with travelling and numerous  Airbnb stays ,he was at a lost of what to do in the apartment. Cant get on wifi or operate the laundry or what inventory was in the apartment. Like he needed an instructional manual to get around but hated that one on one greeting. 

I have guests who couldn’t speak any English figure it all out and still took the time to listen and ask questions. 

The danger here was he had an excellent review and had a respectable profession. But that means nothing to me now as his is offically the third person I met with a reputatable profession and been unprofessional or respectful. 

All I can say is trust your instincts. I had such a strong instinct about him and I knew already he was trouble.  I won’t be surprised if this guest has done this before to others. 

Airbnb needs to crack down on guests who make up stories in their feedback. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Dionne2  I still see you as a superhost. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 9.16.49 AM.png

@Emilia42 I think it hasn’t got up as my host status shows something different. 

Can’t believe it took one bull**bleep**ter to change all that. 

And I can back up my side he can’t.